Friday, February 24, 2006

NEW STUFF


With the closing of the Globe Theater I was able to acquire a few things that I have been coveting, in some cases for years. The print above is by the artist Ann Zahn. She has a studio in Bethesda. I admire all her work and I am very interested in her medium which is etching, woodcut, lithography and linoleum cut. I know nothing about any of those but apparently she learned about printmaking at Montgomery College. I am always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I guess I will sit around here and wait until a class like that comes around here. (sigh) The print above that I bought is her tribute to the artist Arshille Gorky (an Armenian artist) and his famous painting titled The Artist and His Mother, 1926 -1935 . Gorky is known as an abstract expressionist artist so this is unlike most of his paintings but I love it. Ann Zahn's beautiful interpretation is as close as I'll ever get. I have never been able to find a print of the real one.


I also got this beautiful terrarium which I have an orchid in for now while I consider other ideas. Feel free to suggest some. I bought a smaller white one...


and these two glass containers which I considered using as terrariums as I tend to get obsessed with a subject but I guess I will not.



So any ideas?

3 Comments:

Blogger handfulofearth said...

1 - Why didn't anyone call ME to go shop at the Globe closing?

2 - I have ALWAYS wanted one of those big Victorian terrariums, so I'm too jealous

and

3 - I vote the smaller glass ones should have Betta fish in them. Red ones.

2/28/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I was totally thinking fighting fish for the smaller ones as well but would you have to leave the tops off...??
The medium one maybe like sand, shells, and a hermit crab but once again the air thing might be an issue....

3/01/2006 08:12:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Oh...you are both very creative. I never would have thougth of that.

3/01/2006 08:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters