Monday, February 27, 2006

Que Excitement! (Or a Good Photographer is Always Prepared)

I don't like to make two posts in one day but this American Moron has something to say. First my house was surrounded by 5 firetrucks. I felt like Alice Kravitz peering out the window trying to figure out what was going on. I did overcook my steak but did one of my neighbors actually notice that? As I was home alone I figured I better check from the outside that my house wasn't on fire. No it wasn't. Oh well, I figured the local firemen were just...meeting. On my corner. I commenced to watch tv. After awhile I remembered I had to get laundry out of the dryer and I headed for the barn. When I opened the front door the first thing I noticed is what looks like fire on the windows of the little house. I had already forgotten the firetrucks I had seen earlier. What is wrong with me? Before I can even process it all I am surrounded by firemen. I suddenly realize that the chicken house that is maybe 40? feet away from my home was completely blazing. I have no idea how long that thing is but it is long. The firemen tell me the smoke is blowing my way and to turn the heat off because that will suck it right in the house. I look up and see the darkest mass of black smoke I have ever seen heading my direction They are standing at the corner of my house and periodically checking the freaking temperature of it w/their hands. Reassuring, let me tell you. Naturally John is not home. When the hurricane came and knocked down all the trees I was here alone also. The saddest part is Johnny, who loves a campfire is not home either. I run for the digital camera. I can't get it to focus...



What the heck!? I keep trying but I can't do it. Beautiful shots of the firemen silhouetted by the fire are passing me by. They are checking the temperature of my home again and yelling out for the hose. Suddenly they are spraying the corner of my house with the firehose. I have John on the cell who is mad that anyone is touching his house. I remind him its just water. I remember the regular SLR and I get some shots but that does you the reader no good. I decide to try the digi one more time. Oh dumbass...I have it set on macro from all the damn pictures of pictures I was taking for myspace. Well all the good shots have passed me by. The fire is petering out but here's one anyway...

Lame I know...

Bummer. How often does the opportunity to take pictures of a blazing fire come along?
Actually, around here there is a chicken house on every corner that needs to be burned down. Next time I will try to be better prepared.

2 Comments:

Blogger sista Rita said...

who set the fire??? i have to know if it was an accident or WHAT? How sad and YOU are out of it or just not nosey. I would have been trying to figure out more with the fire trucks...

3/07/2006 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

They started it on purpose. They do it alot around here with old chicken houses and old farm houses. It's called a controlled burn.

3/08/2006 08:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters