Monday, March 27, 2006

The Story of my Chairs


The other day Andie was over and took a picture of my kitchen dining area.


When she got home she said she didn't realize the chairs were all different while she was there. I think maybe she was mesmerized by the yellow walls. There is a lot going on in there. Maybe to much? Anyway here is the story of my chairs. Before I moved in this house I lived in a teeny, tiny house with my four children and my husband. I would sit and dream, and dream, and plan and plan exactly how my new house would be right down to the CHAIRS! I always would talk about these details. I always said that I wanted a long dining table with all different chairs. When the renovation of the farmhouse was nearly done my friends surprised me by having a chair painting party. Everyone bought a second-hand chair and we all painted them. One has a little sketch of the house on it. This is my husbands favorite.



This one was done by a friend who has since passed away. I am grateful to have this gift from her.



This one was done with my then troublesome teen Taylor in mind.




It depicts the two sides of her.



This one is collaged and says, " I am the Goddess, I am the Mother. All acts of love and pleasure are my ritual." On the back of it there is a Buddha that says, "Indulge".




I did this tiger chair for my youngest son because he has loved tigers all his life.



At each end of the table there are hand carved chairs from Mexico that I painted.



I think I want to redo them now. I have re-thought my paint job.

Finally there is the chair I like best and it is based on a favorite painting by Jean-Auguste Dominique Ingres called La Grande Odalisque.


Can you see the connection?


6 Comments:

Blogger Cinthia said...

Wow, each chair is so unique and original. You are very creative and quite talented! Good job!

3/27/2006 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks Cinthia. It keeps things from getting boring. I do have days though when I want all my chairs to match.

3/28/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger handfulofearth said...

You are so creative & hip - here all I thought was, "dude, cool chairs!"

Ash glaze packed for class -

3/28/2006 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger cream said...

What a beautiful collection!
You should be delighted!

3/29/2006 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you Cream. I have always felt honored that anyone would take the time to do such a thing.

3/29/2006 07:27:00 AM  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

What a fabulous collection of chairs. Your home is wonderful, it has good 'vibes'.

4/15/2006 03:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters