Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter Eggs and Odd Socks

Since the kids are not so interested in coloring eggs this year I decided to try making dyes from food stuff and dye eggs that way. I have always wanted to do it. Crazy I know. Had to try. Here are the results:

The first egg from the left in the back was dyed w/tumeric. The blue in front of it is red cabbage. Next to tumeric in the back row is coffee and in front of coffee is onion skins. Both eggs in the 3rd spot are beets. I'm slightly disappointed but not too much. I would like to figure out more colors like green or pink. I was surprised that beets didn't at least give pink. Red cabbage pleased me to no end. So there you have it.

Now I have a question for you. Where DO all the odd socks go? I've been nurturing this pile of my sons odd socks for quite some time now and have yet to find a match. I think I will toss them.


What do I do when I am not dyeing eggs and matching socks? I drive Johnny to lacrosse practice. He plays for 2 teams. His choice NOT mine. Here he is yesterday. He's all in red no helmet on yet.

That's all. Should be cooking.

8 Comments:

Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

What a great experiment! This reminds me of a plant my mum showed me once, she said they used the flowers to make red ink when they were little girls.

4/15/2006 03:26:00 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Those eggs are beautiful. I was also creative. I searched out a egg coloring kit by Paas. LOL

Just finished dipping and dying and drying. I placed them into a pretty little crystal bowl my mother-in-law gave me this past Christmas. Didn't want to bother with the Easter grass this year.

Hey, thanks for stopping off at Morning Martini last night. Please come back any time you should be in the neighborhood. The bar is always open :)

4/15/2006 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger the depressed nurse said...

Eggs look great! Alexander broke half of ours and spilled the dye before we could finish the rest. LOL

I think your other socks must be with my lost ones.

Happy Easter!

4/15/2006 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger the depressed nurse said...

Eggs look great! Alexander broke half of ours and spilled the dye before we could finish the rest. LOL

I think your other socks must be with my lost ones.

Happy Easter!

4/15/2006 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger handfulofearth said...

We didn't do eggs - our Easter tradition is candy baskets (Gideon's also has matchbox cars) and then we do something outside - planting or landscaping - a rebirth, and a nod to both Easter & Spring, since John is sooooo Catholic & I'm, well, raised Catholic by an Indian Methodist, almost converted while married to a Jew, and then married a devoted agnostic, and then John. And my mother - well, you know. Wherever the wind blows.

Am I reading that the red cabbage went BLUE? So putting that in the kiln, then. Gorgeous eggs, and so creative.

John may have gotten my stupid mp3 player working - I'm desperately trying to load my 7000 songs - mostly Lonesome Trio songs & Madeleine Peyroux - I could just burn the cd's, right? Ugh.

4/15/2006 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger handfulofearth said...

Oh - your socks? Make hand puppets & dusters. trust me, once a sock breaks free, it ain't comin' home.

4/16/2006 01:33:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I just found a bunch of Scott's socks behind the dryer. It was truly a show trying to get them back!

4/16/2006 08:15:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

GG- Thanks for checking out my blog. I will be looking at all my food and plants differently this year wondering if they will make a good dye.
PP- I love PAAS which is why I was kind of disappointed. Paas has spoiled me for bright rainbow colors. Thanks for stopping by.
Anna- I can't remember how many Easters my children would dye-colored hands. They always made such a mess. It was way less stressful this year doing it by myself but on the other hand it's slightly pathetic when your dyeing eggs by yourself at 43.
As for socks...I guess we should all look behind the dryer where Carla found her's. Don't they always show up as soon as you throw the old ones away?!

4/16/2006 09:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters