Sunday, April 16, 2006

Making Traditional Easter Lasagna

Well the time has come. Got out the new pasta machine and started to make the Traditional Easter Lasagna. I know it is not what the normal families are doing on Easter. I think they eat ham or lamb? My mother always made lasagna. It was special because she only really made it once a year. Probably because she made her own noodles and that is a lot of work. Once you have lasagna with homemade noodles, store-bought will never do again. I make it. almost every year. A few years I tried other things but the children were always disappointed that I hadn't made the lasagna. So you see, the tradition continues. This year I tried a few different things. I can't help it. I always have to see if I can make it better. Here is a picture of the ancient lasagna recipe handed down for generations and generations.




Just kidding. It's just my copy of my mothers recipe for the pasta. On the other side is the sauce recipe and filling. You can see it's been used a lot. I should retype it and put it in a page protector don't you think?


Here is Johnny with the pasta machine. The machine allowed us to make really long and really thin noodles. I needed long ones for the new method I was trying.



The machine really does save you a lot of hard work and time. After we had the noodles all made we put some sauce in the bottom of a pan.




Then you lay in the LONG noodles lengthwise and width wise and let the hang way over. This is a new method for me. Then a layer of tiny meatballs, romano and sauce. I am straying from my mother's recipe but that's because I am trying something new. A new twist on an old tradition.



Then a layer of noodles that don't go over the edges followed by a layer of italian sausage, romano and sauce....



Another layer of noodles and then cubed mozzarella and romano and sauce...



Finally the last layer of noodles, a ricotta mixture and sauce...



The final step, and my favorite is pulling all the long hanging-over noodles up and across the top of the lasagna. So orderly. Everything nice and tucked in. I put it in the fridge until I cook it today in the oven. I will but some sauce and mozzarella on the top after it cooks some and let you know how it goes. I hope they will like it.

After I slaved in the kitchen all day yesterday (I also made vanilla cupcakes with a lemon curd filling and strawberry chiffon pie) it was party time! Once again we hooked up with Bill, Debi, Maggie, Jimmy and Paula and Darrell who were visiting from the D.C. area. We had great dinner out and laughed, laughed, laughed. I couldn't seem to get a good shot of us with the mirrors and low lighting. This was the best I could do.




Then Maggie started composing artistic shots while she was waiting for her food.



She was collecting the marlin stirrers? for nichos. Maggie gets these nichos from Mexico and then we paint and fill them. Sometimes. It's fun. Lets see if I have a pic of one...







Okay four...




9 Comments:

Blogger handfulofearth said...

Okay, your Easter blog is much happier, more creative, and more work than mine. I am again just going to send people to you.

The lasagna looks really good - I'm having John look at it to see if he can make it for me (I have learned to let him make the pasta.)

The nichos are cool. I want in on the arts & crafts - I'm going to just start showing up at your door to hang out. Always something going on at Mary's compound. It's like YOU have a commune, now. Are we reversing roles?

4/16/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger cream said...

Your Easter lasagna looks amazing!
Good job Johnny helped with the pasta! Hard work!
Great Day!

4/16/2006 02:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

yum - i think that lasagne sounds like a delicious taste treat - I do not have patience to make something like that BUT I would have more than enough patience to eat it

4/16/2006 06:24:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Andie you are always welcome!

Cream- Johnny is always helpful but he really loved this job. Maybe he will take over for me.

Mark- You will have to have Carla bring you sometime. We always have good food and lots of fun.

4/16/2006 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Are you eye-talian?

4/16/2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Cinthia said...

I am like Garfield. I love lasagna. I wanted to eat my computer screen but it seems it's not edible.

4/16/2006 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Jeremy- My father was eye-talian and my mother is eye-rish.

Cinthia I hope you found something more edible. It was very good though. I will have to workout extra long today. Look what you saved yourself.

4/17/2006 05:42:00 AM  
Blogger tuesday night Jen said...

YUM!! LOOKs good. I wish I had that ambition. I'll make lasagna, but not scratch noodles. YOu'll have to bring some to class and convince me it's worth it. Sounds like a Holiday full of traditon. That gives me warm fuzzies.

4/17/2006 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger MarktheChef said...

I love your blog ... and you did a great job on the lasagna. I hope I am able to read about yoru life again. Thank you Mary ... I also loved some of the art ...

4/19/2006 12:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters