Monday, April 24, 2006

Too Busy!

Took advantage of some of the nice weather to get outside and start my gardening. I used to have a huge garden. It was close to 1/2 an acre I would guess. I would spend my whole summer there. I had to let it go. It was too much. It became all work and no joy.



Now my garden is maybe a quarter of the size it used to be. If even that. I grow tomatoes, herbs, peppers, lettuce, strawberries,eggplant, beans and flowers. Much smaller quantities than before. No corn. There is a farm with a roadside stand right down the road so why?



That picture is from last year. I didn't plant anything yet but I did get it cleaned out. I also planted my window boxes.

Finally I got out in that studio. I worked on finishing the exercises from the pastel class. I definitely have a better understanding of the technique but I can't say I like these paintings. I will definitely try using pastels again though.
Before:


after:



And another:



Hey, it was the end of the day. It was a very long class I told you. This was the last one I did.
I also managed to do more work on my mosaic which has still got a ways to go before it is finished. I do feel like I accomplished a lot though.

One last thing. Today, April 24th, is the day we commemorate the Armenian Genocide. Let's hope that one day the Turkish Government will also acknowledge it so that it will not be repeated.

4 Comments:

Blogger cream said...

Mary, your garden is beautiful and I love the fact that you grow your own stuff! I only grow herbs. Too much like hard work!
I love the lilac flowers in your painting. It's a great painting!

4/25/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger handfulofearth said...

I love the pastel - why aren't you happy with it? I think it's lovely!

Your garden is huge - I should have known - you always do everything big & perfectly - setting the standard for the rest of us -

See you tonight!

4/25/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

It's just way too ordinary for me. But I was thrown by a new medium and being unfamiliar w/color palette. Everything was too new too express myself.

My garden was big. Now it's 6 very manageable blocks. Only takes me an hour to get it ready for planting as opposed to a week at least w/old one.
I'm ready to get back to teapots tonight!

4/25/2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Lovely, the garden the art, it's all very nice. Enjoy it and have fun. Gardening is the best medicine for just about everything.

4/26/2006 08:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters