Thursday, June 22, 2006

Boys of Summer


I unexpectedly had the opportunity to stay right on the beach for a week and I took it. It is hard to tear myself away from all the things that I think are important but I do try to take every opportunity I can that comes my way to enjoy life these days. I have just run home quickly to water plants and feed the cat and then I am back to the beach.

I live only a 5 minute drive from the beach but staying right on it is different. Especially for the kids. So Johnny grabbed a friend or two and has been having the time of his life. He has been tinkering in surfing for about a year but never really had any help w/it as John and I don't surf. A friend of ours is a big time surfer and board maker and took Johnny out for a couple lessons and he's hooked. He picked it up rather quickly. So I get the boys out there every morning a 8:30 (can't surf once the guards come on at 10) and again at 5:30. Johnny is riding a high that he can't stop talking about.



There's a lot of camaraderie going on and its really awesome to watch it and see these boys just totally enjoying life.



It's a great life for these boys and I am VERY grateful to be able to give it to them. A little surfing zen to balance those months of competitive lacrosse. Yeah...

9 Comments:

Blogger american soldier ... said...

congrats on getting to the beach ... i will be home soon and i told all my friends we have to spend a weekend on the river ... nothing but good times ahead ...

then its all prep for iraq (heard some more rumors about being cancelled ... but also have been told its a go ... someone also told me that they cancelled deployments up to a week before they were supposed to go so its a wait and see game)

6/22/2006 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger cream said...

Well, Mary, this is life as I knew it as a boy!
Not surfboards but tractor inner tubes!! Kindly donated by my mechanic uncle...
The memories come flooding back!

6/24/2006 06:04:00 AM  
Blogger Reflections said...

When I was a teen in the 60's I wanted to become a surf bum. I envy those kids and you providing the opportunity for them to do this.

6/24/2006 06:11:00 AM  
Blogger glenda said...

Makes me want to get in the car and take a trip to the beach....something about the sun sparkling on the water! Loveley picures!

6/24/2006 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Sothis said...

Looks fantastic! Enjoy the beach and have a wonderful, relaxing time. I can imagine that the kids are in heaven right now!

6/24/2006 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I just returned today from a week right on the beach and I already want to go back. Reading on the beach in the morning is about as wonderful as it gets. Plus no cooking for a week and no responsibilities for all that time, ya gotta love that too. :)

6/24/2006 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

It has been a great time. Like Pop I don't cook when I am there even though I could.

Cream- when we were kids we had rubber rafts. Big fun. But we hardly ever went to the ocean. There was a lake nearby we would go to which was just as fun.

Reflections-The life of a surf bum is very tempting I have to agree. Even the life of the surf bum mother isn't bad. I always want less when I am absorbed in the beach life. Life becomes so simple. Get to the beach, read, swim, eat, sleep. Ahhhhh....

6/26/2006 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

I live not far from the ocean...but there's no beach because we're wayyyy below sea level. How I love the beach. Sigh. Sounds like bliss there, Mary.

6/28/2006 09:15:00 AM  
Blogger windspike said...

Hey, these grommits are looking good! Shred until your dead!

7/05/2006 09:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters