Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Home Again...

I am back in my routine at home. I must say I am torn between being a beach bum and my life here. I will try my best to strike a balance which you would think wouldn't be too hard as I am minutes from the beach.



I definitely prefer running down country roads to running on the beach. It's hard enough on a flat road, I don't need sand and the hassle of avoiding waves. On the plus side for beach running though I certainly don't have to worry about the Perdue chicken trucks barreling by. It's one of those deer in the headlights moments when you see it coming and you are but a lowly pedestrian. All I can do is say "Shit!" and close my eyes, nose, my mouth and run faster. You may not have these in your area. They are big flatbed type trucks stacked with wire cages, stuffed w/chickens who have been in these massive chicken houses and are stinky and dirty and the whole truck has a cloud of feathers and dried chicken shit dust following. Can you get the gist of my dilemma?

It's been very humid here and no matter how early I get up (6:15)it doesn't help. The running is hard (for me anyway). Everyday I run past a huge field that's been over-taken by honeysuckle. The scent is so heady, so intoxicating that it makes me want to stop and lay down in it like Dorothy in that poppy field in The Wizard of Oz. Of course I am sure the bees wouldn't let me do that.

I have been working on a lot of mosaics in my studio and just got a job to do a fireplace surround. Yeah! Here is a picture of a little table that I am not too displeased with but I would do it differently next time.



These tiles are vitreous glass and very small. I don't like working w/them as much as tiles that are bigger and I glaze myself. And to me the placement of the dragonfly is wrong. Whatever.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

It's beautiful, Mary! I stopped by to personally tell you I'll be "on the dark side of the moon" for an unknown period, as we finsh (now frantic) packing, the actual move, and the new this's and that's. We'll also have to get an entirely new ISP. We'll see, we'll see.:) I shall return!

HUGE Hugs!

6/28/2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger spadoman said...

Nice work, Mary. Looks like a Dragon Fly. When I see one swooping around, I always get the feeling it's a friendly Spirit paying me a visit.

Now here's my sage advice. Be a beach bum, and when the running gets too tough, start walking :)

6/29/2006 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger Sothis said...

Around here, all the chickens are free range (everyone has chicken in their backyards--it is encouraged by the Belgian government since you can feed them all your table scraps and reduce was is thrown out recycled). It's really weird to walk down the street in he middle of town and have an escaped chicken cross your path. I prefer that to Perdue.

I love honeysuckle. It always makes me happy. I even have pure honeysuckle perfume that I use whenever I need a lift.

The table is beautiful. I think every artist always sees imperfections in her work even if no one else can see them.

6/29/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dan,
You changed your name. No more TUA. Good luck w/the move. Hurry back and thanks for the compliment.

Spadoman-I will take your sage advice. Thanks

Sothis-I would MUCH prefer the free range way. Perdue is BIG business out here. That's how most of the farmers make a living. You know how this country is w/environment. We won't make changes until it's probably too late.

I can look at anything I've ever made and think its crap. YOu are very right.
Now where do you get that perfume? I would love that.

6/29/2006 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Now - I am going on vacation from the 3rd - 12th so dont mail my treat until after that date - I would hate to see it appear on my trashy neighbors deck - hmmm, hmmm, hmmmm

6/29/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger spadoman said...

Mary, I thought it would be a good place to remind you I will be leaving again on Saturday and will be away from electronic devices until the end of July. It's a good place because the title of the post is "home again"

Take care and be safe.

6/30/2006 06:38:00 AM  
Blogger cream said...

Wow, Mary! I love doing wall mosaics as you know...But this is sheer class!
I love the colours on the dragonfly!

6/30/2006 02:20:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
I'd pick the beach the chicken truck sounds disgusting. It reminded me of the smell of new jersey skunks. Once you've smelled that you never forget it.
Your story reminded me of when I was young about 11 and we were in Mt Freedom New Jersey for the summer(we lived at a bungalow colony there every summer). We were playing hide and seek in the woods when we went through some kind ot brush and trees. We were in front of the most beautiful wildflower field that I ever smelt or seen. When the movie the color purple came out and it gives the line about you appreciating the color and smells I knew from my field exactly what she was talking about. I hope you understood what i just wrote. Anyway have a great forth of July weekend

6/30/2006 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cream- coming from you I will take that as high praise. Thank you.

Dawn- That reminds me of one summer when I drove down the Skyline Drive/Blueridge Parkway on the way to Tenn. w/ a girlfriend when I was a teenager. We stopped at a lookout point and suddenly I knew what "purple mountains majesty" meant. It was a moment I will never forget.

6/30/2006 04:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters