Monday, July 24, 2006

Summer Cold


When it rains, it pours. A crush of visitors? I can deal. Blistering heat? I have AC. Lots of work? Got it. A summer cold? Set me on my ass. I felt it coming but ignored the signs. Brushed away the tickle in my throat. Thought the headache and neck pain were from heat and too much glazing in the studio. The sneezing? Well I was going in and out from the studio (which has no AC) to the cool air conditioned house. I told myself I was feeling just a little run-down from too much partying w/visiting friends and family.

Taylor came in on Thursday. I was so looking forward to seeing her. I miss her and Michael so much. The day before I had almost started crying thinking about them. I haven't seen Michael in a year! Taylor and I made plans to go out for her birthday. She went to the beach with Lisa and Johnny and I worked in the studio all day.

I was hot as hell and I had to go back and forth to the house to cool off. I had to finish glazing so I could run the kiln in the morning. I had about 40 tiles to go when Johns family, (two brothers and their families were in town), came over for dinner. Okay I will finish when they leave. I was tired but got dinner out and enjoyed the visit. After they left John came out and helped me finish glazing.

I got up at 6 a.m. to turn on the kiln. My head was pounding, my nose was stuffed. Still this was my first firing of my own kiln WITH something actually in it! WEEEEE! I turned on the kiln and went in to see what I could take (as in medicine) because I was determined to make myself feel better and hang out with Taylor. As the day progressed things got worse. I had to bail on Taylor. It was okay, she had plenty of friends who were going. I had a some problems w/the firing which were made more miserable due to my condition. The icing on the cake came when a call to my son Michael revealed that he would be going to Iraq in August. Now I know its been on and off with that for well over a year and this too could be cancelled but I am definitely feeling like my lucky streak is over. Why should I be so lucky that my kid wouldn't be sent. Certainly the NEWS isn't encouraging. Miserable day.

I was feeling a little better on Saturday morning. I had promised my son Johnny I would take him to the 12th Annual Malibu's Classic which is a surfing contest. He had a lot of friends who were surfing in it. We got there at 9a.m. and though it was cool to watch I could only hang about an hour because I still wasn't feeling well and I left. Plenty of friends there so I left Johnny. I went home and slept for about 3 hours and woke up feeling much better. John, my husband, came home and we decided to go back up to the surf contest for a couple hours and then we would take Taylor out for a "raucous" dinner. It is a lot of fun to watch these surfers. My favorites are the Masters and Legends. The "old guys". They have got style. Though I don't mind watching the young boys....

So now it was Taylors turn to be blue. She was really hoping her boyfriend would surprise her and show up. So far no go. When John, Johnny and I got home though he had just arrived. She was way happy. Johnny was tired, Lisa was out so Taylor, her boyfriend, John and I were going out.



I have only met Taylor's boyfriend one other time and that was a year ago exactly. But this time I got to talk with him over the course of a dinner. John and I talked about it later that evening and we both noticed how tender he is with Taylor. How he can make her smile every time. (Which if you know Taylor, isn't always easy. In fact it's impossible for me when she is in a mood.) That's cool. It was a great evening. It even bordered on raucous.



So Blogger finally let me post pics!

10 Comments:

Blogger spadoman said...

Hope telling us about it all helped some. Wish I could lend some help or a shoulder or anything, but you've got John and Johnny and you're strong. It'll pass, and life will be great again soon. Prayers for you my friend.

7/24/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks Spado. I hate to complain but once in a while I guess I gotta.

7/25/2006 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

You're right a summer cold is the worst. You can't even curl up in your favorite warm nightgown. Go outside and the sun makes your eyes water.....I hate it. In fact after I type this I'm going to wash my hands in case you left cold germs here on your site :)

Hope it's short and sweet and you feel better real soon.

7/25/2006 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Good idea Pop!

7/25/2006 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger glenda said...

Sorry to hear the news about your son...a cold I can deal with, that's got to be frightening.

7/25/2006 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger thepoetryman said...

I am glad the dinner with your daughter and her boyfriend went well and caused you no more added tension. I am thinking of your son Michael and hoping all will be well with him...(and you.)

Peace...

7/26/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger glenda said...

So, are you feeling better yet?

7/26/2006 07:57:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Well you all are so kind. I try to be so positive on this site. Sorry for the lapse. You sure know how to make me feel better. Yes I am feeling better. I went for a run (a short one) this morning and that felt very good. Now if blogger would just let me post pictures.

7/26/2006 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hope you're feeling better.

And congratulations on firing your kiln. I know that feeling - it's great.

7/26/2006 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks lukku. Firing again this week. I'm on a roll. At least until I get my first electric bill.

7/27/2006 07:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters