Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Boardwalk Tour

So yesterday my son wanted us to take him to the beach on 3rd St, something about girls. That's up by the boardwalk. Not my scene. BUT I had been wanting to go to the boardwalk to take pictures not only because there is alot of good photo ops there but because I was looking for distracting pics for the FDTG.

I was in a bad mood almost as soon as we got there. Just walking up the side streets it was so filthy. I don't understand why OC doesn't keep it clean. IT is not a big town. They spend money on improvements all the time. Why not just clean what you have. The boardwalk is a huge draw but it is filthy! Anyway the boys got in the ocean and John and I went for a walk in the sweltering heat on the boards. It reeked of beer and popcorn in the hot noonday sun. I guess its less noticeable at night. I'll have to remember that.

So first stop: Thrasher French Fries. I am not a fry girl but John can't go to the boardwalk without stopping there.


While I was waiting for John I noticed these boardwalk fashions and felt the need to share.



Boardwalk Art Gallery.



Now anyone who has ever been to the boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland has seen one of these. The man who makes these sand sculptures has been doing it forever. I have never not seen one.






Okay here is another example of OC spending money on improvements and then not taking care of them. OC hired my former employer while I was still working there, to do a series of these (maybe 12?) mosaics along the boardwalk. That was maybe 5 years ago. They are dirty and missing tiles. Maintenance people. Maintenance!



I had to have a ferris wheel pic. Not the best I know. But can you see that bungee tandem thingy hanging between the 2 poles. What is wrong w/people?



When this attraction first came to the boards I really wanted to go. I am a freak like that. I finally talked one of my kids into it, paid ALOT of money and then had to leave almost immediately because the child freaked out at the shrunken heads. Dammit.


Stay tuned for part 2. I was just getting to the good part of the boards when we had to turn back.

6 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Wow Mary
Astonishing sand sculptures
Is that the colour of the sand?
or just a trick of the light.

Glad you are having a good time.
How's the song go
"Up on the boardwalk ... " lol!

8/23/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret III said...

I can hardly wait for Part II. I have OC memories of my own...I do remember that smell.

8/23/2006 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Neat sandcastles! And thanks for keeping your eye out for pix!

Oddly enough, I just finished reading a book that featured OC as a minor location. It was "You Can Get Arrested For That" - two smart-alec Brit kids came to the U.S. last year to break as many silly laws as they could, and then wrote a book.

I forget what the silly law was in
OC - and I just finished the book this morning - shows my retention level!

8/23/2006 07:05:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Quasar. Yes that is the color of the sand. Is it unusual to you?

Hey Margaret! You signed up. Yeah. Margaret is my sister everyone.

Lukka- I am glad to know someone else doesn't retain what they read.

8/23/2006 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Mary, I guess on yellow sun days the sand glows golden, that's why I asked if it were more a blue day with a white sun, hence the sand seems less golden yello ...

The sand sculptures are just awesome, the mermaids enjoying beach time then

8/24/2006 02:48:00 AM  
Blogger handfulofearth said...

That pink jumpsuit? A girl in my old office used to wear that to work ALL THE TIME.

I'm a Rehoboth girl, these days - and Lewes - you're right, OC can't quite keep up with the traffic & trash.

9/06/2006 11:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters