Sunday, August 06, 2006

Tagged


I've been tagged by Dawn.

1: One book that changed your life:
"Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling. It is the first book I remember having read to me by my mother. Stories like "How the Camel Got His Hump" and "How the Leopard Got His Spots" started me on the path to reading. All my brothers and sisters loved to read as children and we would walk or ride bikes to the library. That's the advantage of a tv w/no cable. I am a voracious reader.


2: One book you have read more than once:
I am sure there is more than one but this one is the most memorable. "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy. I finished it and at that very moment I went to the first page and started again. My favorite book of all time.

3: One book you would want on a desert island:
"The Complete Works of William Shakespeare"

4: One book that made you laugh:
Anything by Wodehouse. Mark Twain. And of course, "The Diary of Bridget Jones"

5: One book you wish had been written:
I'm too busy trying to read all the ones that have been written to think about this.

6: One book you wish had never had been written:
Probably anything by Ann Coulter

7: One book that made you cry:
Nothing is coming to me. I remember being totally shocked by "The Book of Ruth" by Jane Hamilton and deeply moved by "Birds Without Wings" Louis De Bernieres. Oh wait I've got it. "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown. It is an American Indian history that should be required reading in our schools. I was shocked that I did not know, had never heard, of these atrocities to the American Indians. It broke my heart.

8: One book you are currently reading:
"Something Blue" Emily Giffin

9: One book you have been meaning to read:
Oh please. What book am I not meaning to read? I have stacks of books to read.


10: Now tag five people:

I'd love to know what all of you read so consider yourself tagged.

16 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

alright, I'll put this together today!

8/07/2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

anam cara by John O'donohue

easy to read in a jiffy, by the pool, in the gardenm or sat by you.

Read it re-read it read it again,

Hopeyou are enjoying this light and glorious day!

8/07/2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Lukka- Can't wait for your list as I am sure it will be interesting.

Q- Looked it up. Looks interesting. I'm putting it on my must reads. Thank you.

8/07/2006 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger betmo said...

i know what you mean about 'bury my heart at wounded knee.' i have carried it around with me since i read it in college. my mother is a passionate 'indian' rights person.

8/07/2006 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

My mum keeps telling me I must read Bury my heart at Wounded Knee. I don't know if she has it in her cupboard of a thousand books!

I loved The god of small things. Oh, she can write, she can write.

I just finished reading Up the down staircase. A delightful book about a public school in America. Made me think.

Now I'm about to read Their eyes were watching God. It is one of those books I want to read sloooowly and enjoy.

Oh boy, books. How can anyone NOT read? Yet I know people who say they don't read. They don't know what they're missing!

8/07/2006 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Yes Betmo, the American Indians are such a beautiful culture with so much to offer us but like all things that are good our country seems to squash it. Still. Shameful.

GG- you must find it in her cupboard and read it.

Up the Down Staircase sounds familiar to me. Maybe I read it. Or maybe was it a movie? I will have to check.
I have read Their Eyes Were Watching God. Enjoy....

8/07/2006 07:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I read
GET YOUR OWN !!!

8/07/2006 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Reflections said...

I have 2 books of wounded knee, and like you I read anytime I stop moving. I even read for 15 mins before I go into work. I have stated I spend much of my free time studying. I have lots of interests but I read almost anything even if it's junk. I wouldn't even know how to make a list of good books, there are so many. Some times I post about books, so look for them on my site.I also read opinions and mag articles which are good also. I studied Native Americans and NA language for 3 years in college. From my site you can see my interests at times but basically I will study what interests my at the time. Thank god for books and articles.

8/08/2006 07:38:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Well the complete works by Shakespeare on a desert island - you'd definitely never be alone. lol!
You mght even miss a rescue ship or too, if they went past at the wrong time when you were most immersed -
butwho cares, another be along soon like the no 38 bus in London. lol!

8/08/2006 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

reflections- How lucky that you had that opportunity to study Native Americans and the language.

Q- Sometimes I don't think I'd mind being stranded on an island. Of course I would want my husband w/me.

8/08/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I am trying to get through The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - not an easy read. It is from that old collection of classics that was in the rec room in Gaithersburg which I think you have now, or does Joey? I'm going to mail it to whoever has the collection when I am finished so let me know. I kept it when Mom moved cuz I always wanted to read it and FINALLY I am but I have to say again...not an easy read. And a far cry from Disney's version.

8/08/2006 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Carla is such a dork

8/09/2006 01:09:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Mark sucks

8/09/2006 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

You two crack me up...

8/09/2006 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

And hey Carla I don't have those books. I wish I did...

8/09/2006 08:21:00 AM  
Blogger Fantastic Forrest said...

I agree with you that ANYTHING by Wodehouse is funny. He rocks. Have you seen the Fry and Laurie version of Jeeves and Wooster? Awesome. Since you like Wodehouse, I'd love it if you checked out my post today and commented. I think you'll get a kick out of it.

http://halfirishrover.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-want-jeeves-in-my-bedroom-or-for-good.html

2/18/2009 12:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters