Monday, August 28, 2006

Vote again.... and Snakes in the Laundry Room!

Time to play the new reality blogger game.
Okay friends and family. Time to vote for anyone but me!
The Follow Spot will tell you about the latest round.
List of contestants:
All votes for this round must be in by Tuesday evening at 9pm. Remember all votes must be emailed to the following email address – mailto:thefollowspot- email the name of which Blogger you want deleted from the contest.


Antonio of BruDogHaven
Caren of Laughlafflaf
Darren of DERMAtology
Jill of Adventures of Jill and Clan
Jim of Actormann
Mary of Me
Ryan of Filmdom
Steve of Stephen Gregory Smith
Tina of Welcome to Tina's

Thanks

Now for the interesting part:

SNAKES!


(Note to Mark Minnick: This is how you correctly blog about snakes on your property. You include pictures.)
We (My son Johnny and I) love to have a snake sighting. I never pick them up. Johnny has. But mostly we want to identify them. We worry when John (my husband)finds them because though he will call us to look he has an inclination to rid the earth of them. He tells Johnny and I when we are willing to crawl under the house to fix things we can keep them alive. Most times Johnny and I can manage a catch and release. (Ourselves Mark.) Johnny and I also used to watch Croc Hunter so when we see a snake the call goes out in an Australian accent. Snake! Johnny got the call from his dad and off we go to the laundry room? Yes there was a snake in the laundry room. It is built into the barn so it could have gotten in a million different ways. When Johnny and I arrived on the scene John had it cornered under the washer and Johnny and I knew we had to get it first. John held the washer up and Johnny had a tomato stake he scooted it out w/while I had a box ready. (And my always ready camera, Mark). Thankfully Johnny and I got it in the box.



It was just a baby. Very long but skinny like a pencil. Johnny and I figure its a corn snake and John figured we should kill it. Johnny and I started walking fast with that box.



We managed to release it and off it went in the cornfield. Later.

In other snake news my neighbor finally mowed his lawn for the first time all summer. Why bother I ask? It looked better when I couldn't see the house anymore. Sadly the next day we found a big old black snake next to the barn that had been nicked by his lawn mower. He didn't survive. And last month Lisa and Johnny found themselves standing a foot away from an orange and black striped snake. Lisa ran and Johnny went to find something to move him w/but he disappeared. I wasn't home dammit. I had them look through all our snake identifying books but they both kept going back to a snake that resides in Arizona. Who knows.

17 Comments:

Blogger spadoman said...

Snakes, hmmmmm. I generally don't like them and give them their space. It's a respect thing, like water. I love the ocean, but respect its power.

Now, about this blogger reality thing. I am confused. Does the person who gets voted out really get their blog deleted? Is it figurative? Or Literalative? Just wondering.

Take Care, see you after Labor Day, I'll be on the road again.

8/28/2006 09:08:00 AM  
Blogger Margaret III said...

Ok, on blogger voting, I will do it later today after I review sites and cryptic messages. I love a good snake sighting as well, poison or not. I had a corn snake recently, and there has been a black racer family that has lived under my neighbor's A/C unit for years, and he has been in my back garden and our woodpile. Remember, round head - no poison, pointed head - yes poison, but most importantly - ALL SNAKES BITE!
Please tell John that snakes rid the environment of rodentia, a problem I am sure the Eastern shore has lots of.

8/28/2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Spado- No just deleted from the game.

Margaret- I have told John that of course.

8/28/2006 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

I quite like snakes, though not sure I'd like to go to bed with one

It's a funny one like mosquitoes, in summer, don't really want to swat them, but when they bug you, they bug you, it's not just the bite or sting, but the buzzing of their wings when I'm in bed - that just makes me turn the light on and sort them out.

I really really don't wanna delete anyone, but as in the Highlander (films & series) if there can Only Be One, we'll just have to lob other heads off one by one. lol!

8/28/2006 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

That's right Q. Like the mosquitos. We need to sort them out unfortunately.

8/28/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

PS -Tempted to vote Antonio for having made me wait while the page opened with his whole blog of pics to Dec.

A hint Antonio, put the latest post or few posts, on the home page. O know jow to click onto previous posts if I wanna see more.

If you throuw it all in my face for 'starters' - I might have just got bored and moved on before page finished downloading

And opted to vote to delete you.

8/28/2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Stephen Gregory Smith, the same

And his was only the Aug 2006 pics & posts.

Stephen when we get to the end of the month it gets a bit long.
Have you heard of that facility that lets you display the last 10 posts, or 9 or 8 or 7 or 6 or 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or try the last One.

I can always click on previous posts, on previous week's posts, on previous month's posts, on previous year's posts

Another contender for the SIN BIN

8/28/2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Tina, survive's by the skin of her teeth, not just because of her great profile pic - or the pic of her in Tina's "kitchen"

but because at least she doesn't post too much, so I didn't mind going all the way back to July or June or however far back it went in TEN Quick Steps or posts. lol!

8/28/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Great action shot on the snake tongue!

I like snakes, but I'm not fond of having them in the house. Where we are in Utah we don't have too many rattlers, but out in the desert we sure do. Hubs rid our campsite in Wyoming of one last year - winning my undying admiration - he picked it up with two tent stakes (like a giant pair of chopsticks) and tossed it repeatedly until it was about 30 yards away! Snake was unhurt, but scared enough to quit trying to return to his hole, which was in the center of our camp. We filled in the hole. This is more humane than the normal Wyomingan way of dealing with rattlesnakes, i.e. to employ a shotgun.

I used to be a catch-and-release person with spiders, but since moving out here and being swarmed with Hobo spiders, I've decided it's not worth the prolonged agony of a bite to spare the life of any brown spider I find in the basement. The vacuum cleaner works pretty well for hygenic disposal.

FDTG is in limbo while I renovate, btw - but I have to fly to Chicago on Friday (gulp!) - so I will work on the site more then.

8/28/2006 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary, Mary, Mary - my camera is broken so I was unable to get a snake picture BUT now I have a camera again so I will be back in full action. Another one appeared a few houses down. Your snake looks like a copperhead - was it? AND I don't have a husband who makes tons of money so I can sit around and do crafts and take pictures. I have to go earn a living. Once a Della Torre always a Della Torre

8/28/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Q-I'm sorry you are having trouble viewing. I don't have trouble w/any of those sites so I am of no help.

Lukka-My son saw the tongue action picture of snake and said "good job Mom". Wow. How often do you think I hear that statement?

I don't know that I could have been nice to a rattlesnake especially w/his home in my camp. I am almost sure I would have moved my camp AND got rid of him. Actually I probably would have gone home. Spiders I don't like at all. And crickets are my nemisis right now.

Good luck with the flight Lukka and the renovation.

Mark-My husband does not make tons of money and I work too. And Mark do yourself a favor and go buy...oops I mean go to the library and check out a book on snake identification.

8/29/2006 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger carbunclefrank said...

Living in Arizona and hitting the various hiking trails has given me many opportunities to view dont mess with(emphasis on VIEW)the reptile population. Around Sedona they are mostly rattlesnakes and piosonous. To reiterate an old line from an old movie; "You're a better (wo)man than I Gunga Din"

8/29/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger cream said...

Haven't been able to comment lately! Blogger playing up!
Snakes! ooooooo I have a phobia of them! Can't get myself to go near one!

8/29/2006 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Can't say I love snakes the kids have brought home snakes from time to time. The last one was suppossed to eat mice and when my husband brought home the live embryo's for him my son the mayor got all upset and couldn't give the snake live food he wanted the mice to live. that was it for snakes in my house.

8/29/2006 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

No no, no more voting, I flee, Mary, I flee [we had our election day yesterday, so I hope you understand] :-D

8/29/2006 07:35:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret III said...

Actually, Mary, I thought your snake looked like a copperhead as well, so I guess I agree with Mark (can you believe it)? Does he know I don't "work" either? You should have told him to check out a book on MOSAIC art and/or pottery-making. Also, he must know that the name "Della Torre" literally translates into the words: "of the tower" so yes, we sisters are all Princesses (wow, unplanned sarcasm here!) Now, if I could just find my Italian flag...

8/29/2006 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

GG- You are officially off the hook. Go on now.

Dawn- Now I wouldn't want one in my house and especially not as a pet. I met a guy once and was going to date him until I found out he kept snakes. No thanks.

Cream-I don't love them but I am curious. I really dislike spiders.

Carbuncle-I definitely never want to come across a poisonous snake and so far I never have.

8/30/2006 04:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters