Sunday, August 20, 2006

WTF Zebra?

Not much going on around here and when that's the case I don't have much to say and so I don't blog. But last night John took me to Rehoboth Beach in Delaware. Great shops and restaurants.

We walked around for a while and stopped in shops then decided to find a place to eat. It was only 6:00 but we couldn't get in anywhere. They were booked w/reservations. We went to a side street that was less congested and tried to get in a restaurant called ZEBRA. Some friends of mine had done huge murals of the Serengeti in there a few years back. Oddly enough, its an Italian restaurant. The place was empty but they said they were booked. We walked across the street to 59 Lake Street and were seated immediately. We had a great dinner and mine was so pretty I had to take a picture for you.



It is salmon with a sourcream and basil sauce with red peppers, broccoli and a balsamic reduction all topped w/a fried ricotta ravioli. Look at the beautiful presentation. (It was actually slightly prettier but I started to take a bite before I thought of you and had to put the ravioli back on top. Couldn't fix the piece of salmon I'd already broken off.)

I didn't want John to feel bad so I took a picture of his Veal Porterhouse.

It came with french fries that were truffled (whatever that means. They tasted like a normal FF to me.) He liked it but complained that he only got 5 bites.

So anyway we were sitting on an enclosed porch that looked out on the street and Zebra across the street. The whole time Zebra stayed empty. There was only one table seated on their porch while we ate dinner. WTF?

19 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Looks like it's true what they say
Everything is larger than life in the USA
They look like king size portions, well King & Queen size portions.

Don't think you see much veal in those dimensions this sise of the pond, and the salmon dish, well bet you don't get many of those to the salmon. lol!

Bet it tasted as good as it looks.

8/20/2006 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Certainly looks like John knows how to treat a lady.

If a way to man's heart is thru his stomach, then certainly a way to a lady's hot spot (heart) is thru a good night out away from the hot stove.

8/20/2006 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

Hadn't the Italians occupied Ethiopia at one point? Close? No?

8/20/2006 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger cream said...

Looks good! I like the idea of fried ravioli! Mmmmm... That's a thought!

8/20/2006 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Sothis said...

Good lord that's an enormous veal steak! My stomach hurts just looking at it!

Maybe Zebra's owners were waiting for their imaginary friends to come over. Looks like you were better off going to where you ended up. Food looks yummy!

8/20/2006 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Good food, good company, you had it all, Girl!:) You made me "homesick." We used to go out on one of the Great Lakes, catch a salmon or two, take it home, clean it, pop it in the oven or pan. Lord, was that ever good!! It's hard to find good salmon down here. They all want to bury it under a ton of sauce instead of letting a great fish speak for itself.

8/20/2006 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Q- I have never seen a cut of veal so big myself. And the salmon was delious. They said the chef was from Scotland.

Hi Fred. Close enough I suppose. The murals are beautiful so I will go w/it. Also they don't call it ZEE-bra. They pronounce it w/a short e so it rhymes w/Debra. Pretencious.

Cream- Very tasty. Sounds like good tapas.

Sothis- John and I would have to agree. Imaginary friends seems the only logical reasoning. But you are right we ended up just fine.

FWY- I LOVE salmon. You are right it needs nothing but eating.

8/21/2006 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Looks good Mary. But one crawfish or crab boil by me and the friends down here on south Louisiana, and you would go back and slap that chef with one of his own fish. ;)

8/21/2006 02:04:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Bring it on Donnie! Sounds good to me.

8/21/2006 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

wow thats the biggest veal I've ever seen. I'm glad you had a good time

8/21/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger spadoman said...

I always thought the Z-Bra is the biggest size they make.

Go figure...... :)

8/21/2006 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I miss you Mary

8/21/2006 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger betmo said...

is it really a front for the italian mob? :) glad you had a good meal in spite of. anyway- ze bra is pretty pretensious and i will bet that you had better food. :)

8/21/2006 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dawn,
It was big but nothing is ever big enough for John.

Spado, Spado, Spado.....

Carla,
I miss you too. Get some days off will ya? That Assateague camping is coming up...

Betmo-
You might have hit the nail on the head! And you know what...I don't generally like to go out for Italian as I think I make it best myself and it's easy.

8/21/2006 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger carbunclefrank said...

hi mary

thanx for visiting my blog. Joe might have created a monster so that would make him the mad scientist. Liked the salmon. it didnt need the ravioli except for color. another east coast favorite is salmon with ginger and cilantro. like your parents probably told you; try it , you'll like it.

8/21/2006 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hey Frank! I love both ginger and cilantro so I will try it.

8/22/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

salmon with a sourcream and basil sauce with red peppers? I need to learn how to make that!

8/22/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret III said...

I thought you were going to do a "WTF Ocean City" blog, but this was pretty good - food looks great, and it's "ZEB-BRA's" loss that they didn't serve you. Is the place really pretentious? Maybe they only serve a specific clientele...

8/23/2006 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ole Blue! The ingredients are right there in the name. Go for it.

Margaret- Well I didn't want my readers to think I was a user of foul language. Gotta keep someone in the dark. Specific clientel? Well if you aren't gonna serve a whop who are you gonna serve at an eye-talian restaurant?

8/23/2006 08:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters