Monday, September 11, 2006

Camping on Assateague Island

John dropped me off at our site around 2:15PM and had to leave to get the kids from school and take Johnny to lacrosse practice. I had to set up camp by myself. That's okay but then again it isn't. We had three campsites in a row and luckily some of my friends were there already and helped me w/the kids tent which was too big for me to do by myself.



When my family got there camp was all set up. How nice for them. Anyway we had to eat real quick to make it to the moonrise party down on the beach(we had one each night). It pretty much went like this...



My camera did the moon and ocean no justice. It was absolutely gorgeous.





The boys did some moon-skim boarding and started getting in the water but it freaked me out. I didn't want them swimming in the ocean at night and made them stick to the skim-boarding.

ALL of my camping friends had air mattresses w/them. Not me. John and I were sleeping on the floor of our tent. I have camped at Assateague before and it was never a problem because the sand is soft but this time the sand was hard and wet from Ernesto. It still hadn't dried out. It seems Assateague had been hit pretty hard and had lots of flooding in the campsites. Needless to say is was a pretty sleepless night. I cooked up breakfast and then beat it out of camp and back to the real world were I bought the biggest air mattress I could find. Oh yea...



The rest of the trip was hanging on the beach, flying kites, eating, surfing, eating, drinking, moon-rise parties at night, just a lot of fun.
















Then there were the ponies. I can't forget to talk about the wild ponies of Assateague. Sometimes you will see them on the beach and they come through camp a couple times each day.






The second night we were there I was sound asleep on my new deluxe air mattress. I was awoken by the sound of someone urinating and farting simultaneously. Oh my. Did someone have too much to drink at the nightly moon rising party and couldn't make it to the restrooms? I look out my window and there is a pony in the next (thank goodness) camp space relieving himself. John and I had a good laugh.

It was hard to leave on Sunday. We stayed until 6:30. Luckily we are only 20 minutes away. Great fun.

17 Comments:

Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

Hi Mary.

You don't know me, but I know Scott & Carla. Anyway, I love your blog. Where exactly is this beach you were at? Do my eyes deceive me? Or can you really sleep right on the beach in your tent? Sounds great!

9/11/2006 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

"...there is a pony in the next (thank goodness) camp space relieving himself."

Now that was funny!

9/11/2006 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Krissy. It's right in Maryland south of Ocean City. I stayed in the State Park:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/assateague.html

but there is also a National side:
http://www.nps.gov/asis/

you can camp at both places. The difference is the National side has bay and ocean campgrounds but you have cold showers and chemical toilets. The state park has hot showers and real bathhouses but only has ocean campsites. Both sides are beautiful. I have stayed at both.

Antonio- Oh you should have been there. That was funny.

9/11/2006 01:38:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
I never heard of this island but am going to tell my hubby about it. Maybe we can go next summer looks peaceful and the ponies cinch it. thanks for sharing

9/11/2006 04:30:00 PM  
Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

Thanks for the links Mary. I am going to check it out!

9/11/2006 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

Dear Mary,

Wow, sounds like a great weekend, especially the moon rise! love your pictures!

peace, peter

9/11/2006 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Yep,
Mary I confess the pont tale was amusing, more amusing is what you thought was going on before you dioscovered it was the pony next door.

Glad you having fun. lol!

9/11/2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger thepoetryman said...

Wow... That must have been fun! According to your post it certainly was/ The bit about the horse relieving itself outside of your tent is a funny one.

Peace.

9/12/2006 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger carbunclefrank said...

hi mary......am I mistaken or is one of those wild horses pregnant? I saw the picture then read your comment about the "bodily function" relieving and thought maybe that horse was giving birth. Looks like you guys really know how to "chill". Aint air mattresses great?

9/12/2006 07:45:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dawn, there is a lot to do there and you can go in and out of both parks so if you stay on the state side of the park you can still go over to the bayside and crab or clam or canoe. And you are 10 mins. from OC.

Peter-That moonrise was pretty cool.

Quasar-Well what can I say? We were having fun.

Poetryman- It's there island. I guess they can do whatever they want. It was mad fun.

Carbuncle- I think the nature of their diet makes them look bloated or fat. They eat that salt marsh grass among other things. Although some of them could be pregnant. Now on the air matress...I wish someone would have told me about them before I went. But I have mine now. Look out!

9/12/2006 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Looks like fun Mary.

9/12/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jill Ruemke said...

I've always wanted to go to Assateague! I love your pictures of the ponies. It looks like a great time. AND congratulations on being in the Big Blogger grand finale!

9/12/2006 07:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Cream said...

Looks like a fabulous time was had by all, Mary!
Who's that having a peaceful siesta?

9/13/2006 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

That looks like a GREAT air mattress. My husband and I bought a much less impressive one for camping, and the dang thing sprung a leak - you have to get up at 2am and pump it up again every night!

Neat ponies - do people bring them there, or are they feral?

9/13/2006 08:01:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret III said...

I am so glad your weekend turned out so nice after our lively phone conversation on your way there was "interrupted" (so to speak). I wasn't sure if the wild ponies came into the campsite or not, but you have now answered that question. I thought they just stayed up on the dunes...Whoa!

9/14/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hmm...blogger is not emailing my comments. What's up w/that?

Donnie- You'll have to try it sometime.

Jill- Thank you. So gracious.

Lukku- The air mattress is a Coleman. Heaven! The horse belong to the island. They are feral desended from some say a ship wreck off shore. Something like that. You can google Assateague Wild Ponies.

Margaret- Those ponies go where ever they like. I saw them walk into camp and eat a families donuts. You have to keep food away from them.

9/14/2006 04:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cream- That's our friend David. He spent the whole day that way and then was (of course) the life of the moon-rise party!

9/14/2006 05:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters