Sunday, September 03, 2006

My Vacation w/Ernesto

We like to end every summer with a vacation the week before school starts. We were on a roll w/going to Sanibel Island until the summer before last when hurricane whoever steamrolled the island the week before our arrival. Total bummer. No vacation. Last summer, no vacation. This year I didn't want to leave because I didn't know what was going on w/my oldest son and wanted to be available if he could get home before possibly being sent to Iraq. So we took John's mothers place on the ocean in OC. Yes it is 10 minutes from home but its ON the ocean.

The first 3 days were overcast. Not good beach days. I spent one afternoon w/John on the beach. The kids took off w/friends. So far it was fine. I like to read and lay around and NEVER get to do it. The highlight of my day would be going out for dinner w/John. (Well really it was the cocktails we would have with dinner.) Everyday was grey and the ocean was getting more rough.



Then the rain started. Ernesto was somewhere off the coast but I wasn't really expecting him. I was getting antsy now. I went home alone one night just to get out of the condo. Friday it poured all day. John and I walked out on the balcony and he suddenly got excited about the storm. He wanted me to walk down to the ocean. Are you crazy? The rain is pelting my face so hard I can barely stand out there. I take a few pics of the ocean and John trying to get to it.





John and I decided to go to the movies to see "Little Miss Sunshine". (LOVED IT!) It was a treacherous 10 block ride to the movie theatre. Trees were bent vertical to the ground in the wind. It was raining harder than we thought. After the movie it was still bad. Power lines were down, roofs ripped off, crap blowing everywhere. John said we better go check the house. I thought we should probably stay at our home since the storm was so bad. The bay was flooding the road we take and trees were down. We got there and there was no power and stuff was blowing all over the place. We decided to go back to OC were at least there was power. We stopped for ummm....dinner.



The place was oddly busy. A waiter recognized us and said "What are you doing out?" Well the power is out and we gotta umm...eat. He said he thought it would be a slow night but NOOOOOO. We watched a lady get very drunk and stick her face in her chocolate martini and then say "GOT MILK?" Highlight of the vacation. Shortly afterward they removed the martini and friends took her home.

Back to the condo and more laying around...



My view to the right...




My view to the left...




6 days of it!

After a sleepless night and the sound of sirens up and down Coastal Highway all night.. I can't wait to get home were I am sure the power will be on and we can come home! On the ride home I could see the bay had receded some. It is a beautiful road that has the bay on both sides. It used to be flooded regularly but it hadn't happened in years. (Global warming?)



The yard was a mess but nothing serious.







The biggest deal was there was still no power. I called the power company (10 times) and they said it might be off until Monday! It was only Saturday and had been off since Friday. Everything in my freezer was melted. We cleaned up and went back to the beach. Lucky I guess that we had the condo to go to. But did I mention the PMS? WOW. Our luckiness was NOT what I was talking about to my family. I did not want to go back in that small space w/them.

One more day of sitting around the condo and reading, watching movies, eating. I couldn't sleep all night. Michael will be leaving for Iraq on Monday and I really wanted to be home in case he called. At 2AM I called the house phone and heard the answering machine come on. YESSSS! I got up, told John I was going home. He thought I was crazy but I left. Home Sweet Home.

I talked to Michael this morning. We talked about nothing. He told me he couldn't sleep the night before. I said I couldn't either. He said he was thinking about when he was a kid how he wouldn't be able to sleep and Dad (John) would come in and sit with him. I finally said goodbye. He said he would contact me when he got there. We haven't seen him in over a year.

14 Comments:

Blogger Margaret III said...

Mary, this is my life in a nutshell. Hurricane/TS season for six months a year, Keith overseas for huge chunks of time, with little or no contact. His last tour really bothered me. Then I had that blasted surgery right after the military took him early (Halloween). Coming up to your place at Thanksgiving last year helped me chillout tremendously. I was able to think about it in my mind for a long, long time
afterwards. I am sad you had so much damage. This is the b**** of being on the coast (and having sons in the military). I am with you. Hold Michael in your mind and he will be safe. It's what I did with Keith, even though it was hard on me.

9/03/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger spadoman said...

Mary....Sorry you have to go through the power outages and some property loss and cleanup. Could be much worse, and probably is for other folks somewhere. It'll pass and get better soon.You shoulda got a pic of the woman with her face in the martini, or was it you? :)

Hang in there.

9/04/2006 06:46:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Oh moy God, he's actually really going. That sucks.

9/04/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks Margaret.

Spadoman- Oh it definitely wasn't bad damage. I'm sad about the willow tree but it's still there at least. I have had 4 trees completely lost in a storm before and flooding. Just one long week.

NO that was not me with my face in the martini but if I had a couple more days stuck there....

9/04/2006 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

Mary, may the beach be with him and you!
and you too, Margaret III.
peace, peter

9/04/2006 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks Peter. Thanks for all you do.

9/04/2006 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

You double dating???

Wating for Ernesto???

John looks like he couldm't give a hoot about the storm, as long as they keep filling his glass

9/04/2006 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Don't know about Global Watming

More Like GLOBAL WARNING!
Climate Change
the storms getting worse in the US

Like sitting at the restaurantat the end of the Universe in
"Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"

But hey, if it's gonna hit
what can ya do
"Bottoms Up, John"

9/04/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger american soldier ... said...

well i am glad to hear that you guys survived the storm ... southern maryland got a ton of rain from what i heard ... everyone is ok though ... let me know when you hear from your son ... i know everything will be fine ... hopefully he will be able to send you some pics or something to help with the fact that he is overseas ... wish him the best of luck for me ...

9/04/2006 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Q- A vacation w/Ernesto sounds exotic doesn't it? And you're right. Johns seen many coastal storms. Once got himself on the local news walking through waist high flood water. Ha! I'd forgotten about that.

Amer. Soldier- I thought it was all going southern Marylands way. I honestly wasn't expecting it. Glad to hear your people are ok. I appreciate and will forward your message. Thanks. It is always nice to hear from you.

9/04/2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Glad all is OK over there Mary. John does look like he knows how to really rough it! LOL!

9/05/2006 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Man, sounds like quite a vacation.

I personally don't know anyone who is in or going to Iraq, so if you don't mind, I would like to use Michael and wish him the best, as well as anyone else who is overseas fighting.

9/05/2006 05:40:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Donnie McD- He's a good time fo' sho'.

Thanks Antonio. We do have to support our troops.

9/05/2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger handfulofearth said...

My prayers & thoughts are with Michael - keep me posted, okay?

I spent the storm out with Gideon searching frantically for a replacement for a lost Thomas dvd he had cried over for almost 6 hours at that point. Rain or no rain, Cranky Bugs it was.

Glad your place made it through -

:)

9/06/2006 11:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters