Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pleasing Results

I took the last of my tiles out of kiln yesterday. It was my second firing this week and I was fairly pleased. I am glazing (applying the glass coating) tiles for the mosaic job that is coming up. I glaze tiles in the colors I need for the mosaic. I will add cut out dragonflies, crabs, fish etc. to the mosaic also. Now I don't just glaze the tile one color. It makes the mosaic more interesting if some of the tiles in a certain color group have a design. It would boring (in my opinion) to have just solid colors. I usually just make random marks on the tile because who cares, it will be broken up. Like this...





But late one night I became completely sick of swirls and dots and lines and said to myself DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! And then I came up w/a few designs that with some refining, I might actually use in bathroom sinks or bathroom countertops. Now I am full of ideas! I just wish it had come when I started the glazing in the morning. Not when I was on my last few tiles and completely exhausted. Oh well. I am making notes and next time I will start fresh. I used to have a watercolor teacher who would say (w/a British accent)"You must make a painting everyday. It's the only way to improve." She's right. Quantity makes quality eventually. I am getting there.





9 Comments:

Blogger carbunclefrank said...

Hi mary
So...the next time you order coffee from the spadoman, get my email or address and send me a tile, I dont have to wait for a butterfly. Your art looks beautiful and I need something to set my coffee cup on in the morning so it wont stain the plastic top on this cheap desk. I'll pay shipping and whatever you think appropriate. Great stuff girl.

10/25/2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Great work!

10/25/2006 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hey Mary, did I miss the murals
what were they? flamingoes, storks marsh birds with long legs & long beaks

10/25/2006 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you Frank. I promise I will get a tile to you.

Ole Blue- Thanks!

Hello Quasar- No you didn't miss it. I am waiting for the job site to be ready. I will not be doing this one in my studio. I called today and things are going SLOW. I have 3 or 4 weeks before they will be ready for me!

10/25/2006 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Beautiful Work!

10/27/2006 12:03:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

I'm glad to hear it
I've got an eye out for that one
Look forward to seeing it.

PS - love the:
Save The Environment
Plant a Bush in Texas

Leave Dick (Cheney) out in the sticks
and send Rumsfeld somewhere where he can be held (guantanamo II)

10/27/2006 07:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your work. Tiles are certainly your passion and tiles are lucky to have you! :>)

Peace.

10/27/2006 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Mary,
You One supercool Golden Mermaid
comes out on top and looking good
even in the most absurd situations

10/27/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I love the dragonflies!

I picked up my 6 yard painting from Chicago - I'll post pix whenever I can!

10/30/2006 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters