Sunday, November 19, 2006

Getting Ready


I've been to the grocery store 3 days in a row and I think I finally have all that I need for the big feast. Today I made my cranberry sauce. It is delizioso! You cook the cranberries in fresh orange juice , sugar and a split vanilla bean. You have to scrape the vanilla bean after it cools. It gives a wonderful flavor to the sauce.

All the leaves have vacated the branches around here so John spent the day raking. He had some help from Lisa. I wish I hadn't been so busy or I could have taken some pictures of them. I caught them yelling at each other a few times. I used to like raking leaves but I was too busy to help.

Johnny woke up with a big fat cheek today and quite a bit of pain. I don't know what it is but he will be at the dentist first thing Monday. He played in a lacrosse tournament in Fairfax Virginia yesterday and his team won it all! Today practice started for indoor lacrosse and he went despite the tooth or whatever it is. I imagine it won't start bothering him again until its time for bed.

I am finally going to the job site for the mosaic backsplash tomorrow. Yeah! I can't wait to get started but I don't imagine I will get much done until after Thanksgiving. In fact as it is their kitchen I may not start until after T-day.

My best news is I finally heard from Michael. It's getting hairy but he's doing okay. He got the package I sent and was glad to have it. Good. Best I can do.

(Raking not racking! What is wrong w/me? I hate when I spell wrong. I knew something was wrong w/that word but my brain wasn't processing. )

11 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

A vanilla bean! MMM! I am going to try that.

You have beautiful tiles- I wish i could hire you! Wonderful work.

11/19/2006 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

Glad you have heard from Michael. That has got to be a relief for you.

11/20/2006 06:27:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Lily- Definitely try it. I'm always looking for something just a little different without freaking out the family.
Thank you for the compliment.

No- Thank you and yes it's a huge relief but as soon as the contact is over the next wait starts.

11/20/2006 07:42:00 AM  
Blogger spadoman said...

What else are you making? Turkey? Italian side dish as well I hope. My Mom always made the full turkey dinner, but also made Lasagna with meatballs and sausage.

My prayers are out there for you, your family and your son and all the people serving everywhere. Glad you heard from him.

What time is T-Day dinner at your place?

11/20/2006 08:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for pictures of your Thanksgiving dinner!
Funny how you call them beans and we call them pods!

11/20/2006 12:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm glad to hear that Michael is OK.

Second, your cranberry sauce recipe sounds good. I've never made it with vanilla bean. I may have to try that. I always just do plain ol' cranberries and sugar.

11/20/2006 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Yay! I can't wait for Thanksgiving!

11/20/2006 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Glad you heard from your son Mary. I know the package was a very welcome sight to him. Mail call in the military can be a real morale booster.

11/20/2006 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Raking? Have you tried a leaf blower?

11/20/2006 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger msliberty said...

I'm so glad you heard from your son, Mary. When you next speak with him, please tell him that there are strangers praying for him, and for peace.

11/21/2006 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Spadoman-Sorry to disappoint but we fully embrace the turkey dinner here. No Italian sides. I'm sure if we could figure out a way to stuff it in ourselves we would. But we do it pretty big already. Dinner will probably be around 2. Will you be joining us?
Thank you for the prayers.

Cream- Vanilla pod. I like the way that sounds. Vanilla pod.

Antonio- Thank you and definitely try the vanilla pod in your cranberries. It will be a hit.

Carla- Me either. I am hungry!

Donnie- Thanks for that. I am glad to here it as I am helpless to do anything else.

Yoga- Oh my husband is a big fan of the leaf blower. But as a matter of fact I did not here it so I can only imagine it is broken? or maybe he took it to a job site (builder) for clean up? Anyway I didn't miss the noise of it.

Msliberty- I will gladly forward you message. Thank you.

11/21/2006 07:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters