Friday, November 10, 2006

Grey Gardens


This summer I came across many references to Grey Gardens. I had never heard of it so when I saw this reference for the 4th time I finally googled it. I learned it was documentary made in the 70's. It was about the Aunt and cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. The documentary follows their everyday life in a ruined mansion in the Hamptons. The house is full of raccoons and cats that they feed. I ordered it from Amazon and was mesmerized. I can hardly explain my fascination. Little Edie is crazy and creative and her fashion sense is just beyond beyond. She always knows the best costume for the day. I've taken to wearing a powder blue towel on my head w/a brooch. Oh and she is a STAUNCH character.

Why do they live this way? Why can't big Edie let go of the past? Why does little Edie let herself be controlled by her mother? What the hell happened to these former members of high society? How can they possibly live in such squalor? Why do they FEED the raccoons? It is funny and heartbreaking to watch. I recommend it.



Now here is the best surprise(for me anyway). I just found out it is Broadway SHOW! Oh joy!

Can you see that I have a problem?

12 Comments:

Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Is it safe to assume that you like soap operas?

11/10/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

No Donnie I don't. I haven't watched them since I was a teenager.

11/10/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a second, I thought you were on about your garden in the winter!
Ours is a bit grey!

11/10/2006 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I was wondering what to get my mother-in-law for Xmas...and now I know ;-)

11/10/2006 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cream- Oh mine is definitely grey. I never even cleaned it out. Now I am afraid to go back there.

Lukku- I LOVE the new avatar. But then again yours are always cool. Never a dull moment w/you.

11/10/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea about Grey Garden, but the picture was vaguely familiar. Once you explained it I realised that I had seen a documentary about it. Fascinating.

Leona Helmsly is another intriguing character.

11/10/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Willowtree- Isn't it? So many intriguing characters in this world. I seem to get hooked on them while I try to sort them out.

11/10/2006 06:28:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

I've known some ladies just like that
Can be fun being eccentric
you can be as outrageous as u like
but shows what happens if
you get lost in your own world
or wrapped up in your own cocoon
for too too long. lol!

11/10/2006 07:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Quasar- You hit the nail on the head! Yes they got wrapped up in their own cocoon for too long.

11/10/2006 07:58:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

oooh..sounds absolutely scrumptious!

11/11/2006 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

You will love it NO!

11/11/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy and eccentric! My kind of people! Fly in the face of high society! Love it! Thank you...

11/12/2006 07:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters