Friday, November 24, 2006



I have finally mastered the preparations for Thanksgiving by spreading the work throughout the week. Nothing is left to the last minute. My table was ready in the morning. All that had to be done the day of was the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. And any prep work for that had been done too.



Carla (with a cute new cut) and Scott arrived first, followed by my daughter Taylor and my niece Tish and her fiancee Jason.



We had drinks and hors d'oeuvres which included a scrumptious cheese selection and some great shrimp that my son Johnny made. Some families don't enjoy the cheese and other hors d'oeuvres before dinner but my family does.


Here is a picture of Scott and Tish. Tish had recently gotten over DENGUE FEVER and had lost a lot of weight so maybe she shouldn't have had quite so much to drink.



Dinner was excellent. Unfortunately I guess I was so eager to eat the food that I didn't take any pictures. The usual suspects were served. Turkey, sage stuffing, mashed potatoes, rutabagas, green beans, cranberry sauce, a mixed greens salad w/pears, pecans and chevre only I forgot to add the pears. My only screw-up. The whole time I am eating the salad and people are complimenting me on it I am thinking 'this is good but something is missing'.



You might notice there was no sweet potatoes on my menu. That is because my mother (who was otherwise an excellent cook) used to make these bourbon sweet potatoes when we were children. I don't know if it was the bourbon or what but they used to make me gag. I am not the only child in the family who as an adult has an aversion to this tuber. Perhaps if she had made that marshmallow kind I would have a different view of the sweet potato.



When dinner was over my daughter immediately got up and started cleaning and then enlisted her siblings. Ahhh....



Taylor said if Michael were home she wouldn't have even had to ask him to help. She believes the younger two don't receive the discipline her and Michael did and are spoiled.



Anyway we just sat there while the children cleaned up.



After dinner we made an attempt to squeeze in some dessert but again I took no food pictures. Pumpkin pie, lemon brulee, and apple pie were on the dessert menu.

I tried to take a picture with my younger sister Carla but I was never happy with the results. She always came out looking...younger dammit! I didn't like the way my hair was looking so fakey. (Lukku, notice the blemish on my chin. That's for you. I'm 43 okay!)




So it was a great Thanksgiving. Good food. Good company.
Now I am off to spend the day with my daughter.

13 Comments:

Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

What a feast!

I loooove sweet potatoes...we cook it in soup like ordinary spuds; we steam it and mash it; we make pies with it; we slice it thin and deep fry...tons of ways to cook it...but never with marshmallows.

I didn't know dengue fever was over there.

11/24/2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Everything turned out beautiful and you, too even if there is a wee, tiny blemish.

11/24/2006 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Mary, I see ya all
had a great Thanksgiving!
Here's a toast to your health
May the next year be the best!

11/24/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger betmo said...

what a nice holiday!! your kids are sweet- what a nice thing for them to many kids wouldn't automatically have helped. i am glad that you and your family had a nice day- as did mine. that is what thanksgiving should be.

11/24/2006 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Enjoy the holidays Mary!

11/24/2006 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Thanks for sharing that. It looks like you're blessed with a great family. And I have to say, with all sincerity since I'm getting older I guess, that your dining room and Thanksgiving set looks FANTASTIC! ^5s! on all of that.

11/24/2006 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

GG- We didn't think you could get dengue fever here either. I believe she was visiting her mother in Florida when she got bit.

Thanks Peacechick.

Quasar- Cheers!

Betmo- Glad to hear you enjoyed yours too.

Donnie- You too Donnie! I bet you had a nice feast Thanksgiving. Love the new avatar.

Hey Chuck!Thanks! LOL- I must say setting the table was the part I enjoyed about all the preparations.
Screw all that cooking. I just want to set a pretty table.

11/25/2006 07:57:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

Can I come to your house next year?

11/26/2006 09:43:00 PM  
Blogger msliberty said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time!

11/26/2006 09:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

No- Yes.

Msliberty- We did! Hope you did too.

11/27/2006 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

Love the chandelier.

11/28/2006 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

No- So do I. I will have to take a better picture of it for you sometime. I got lucky on that. I took care of the farmers wife across the road when she was dying. Sometime after that I was in an antique store and spotted that and was instantly in love w/it but no way could I afford it. It turned out the farmers wife's grandson was the manager and gave it to me for cost. Lucky.

11/28/2006 08:12:00 AM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

It sounds as though you enjoyed everything! Yes, you are the only adult with an aversion to sweet potatoes!

11/28/2006 01:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters