Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Chaos is King!

I know some of my friends and family are waiting for this post to get a recap of our Christmas and see the pictures. Let me just say, many, many, many of our pictures of this event will not be published on the blog.

Chaos reigns when my family gets together. BUT the morning started quietly. I put on the coffee and a little soft Christmas music while someone went to wake Taylor and Sheldon. I had all my children with me except Michael but Sheldon was here kind of holding his spot. I got my camera and we were ready to go.

Phone rings! Yes! I didn't guess I'd be this lucky. It was Michael. We all got a chance to speak with him. We didn't get cut off and John and I got to talk twice. He said he had the next couple days off and would spend it working out and playing ping-pong. We got a ping-pong table the day before set up in the barn. What a co-inky-dink. Lots of talk about kicking ass in ping-pong between the brothers ensued. Everyone said their "I love you's" and just in case we didn't have the chance we wished him a Happy Birthday. Michael's birthday is the 30th. He will be 21. So I got everything I could have hoped for right there at the top of the day.

Everyone was pleased with their gifts. Johnny got some grills as a joke from Taylor and had quite the day posing w/them. All day I had to see those hideous things.







My family started arriving and before you know the house was filled with noise. I think it was a little overwhelming to Taylors boyfriend Sheldon who is from a smaller family. We are always trying to talk over each other and we get silly and some of us (my brother Joe)get a little...catty? (would that be the right word Carla?) Anyway instead of buying gifts for everyone we had a $20 gift exchange. We played the game where you pick a number and take a gift from the pile or steal a gift someone already got. It was too fun. It was about the game and not the gift which I like. But it was pretty ruthless as we all know each other so well. A few shots...
























So you get the idea. We had a lot of fun. The bottle of Bordeaux that was the gift most often stolen in the game was shared by the thieves.



Here are a few more photos as we headed for the table.



Joe picked on Mom.







Carla posed.







Sisters, sisters. There were never such devoted sisters.








There was the obligatory kitchen sink mishap which John fixed. (I think it was a shot glass ground up in the disposal by Taylor but they avoided mentioning it to me.





After dinner it started...




But there were still a few of us waiting for dessert...





John G. went for the many little slices of everything.



Johnny went for the mostly whipped cream with a side of pie.

So that's about how it went. Sorry to bore some of you. I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas.

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's sounds like you all had quite the day!

So glad to hear that you got to speak to Michael. Those moments are so precious, no matter how often they occur.

Our day was quite a bit calmer, unless you include the two hour rant from my mother (the official source for family gossip...)

I hope you got some rest ***wink***

12/27/2006 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger spadoman said...

Mary my friend, we are truly blessed, aren't we. Some of the prayers have been answered by the sounds of this narration. Not boring at all. And I love the sisters. Who is that dark haired one in the middle? She's a looker, (I'm a sucker for the brunettes) :-)

Peace to you and family. Glad it turned out so good.

Happy Birthday early to you Mike, and Thankjs for all you do.

12/27/2006 09:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just knew that you'd hear from your son...the best gift of all...

12/27/2006 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dizzy- I've been resting ever since! I've got to snap out of it now.

Spadoman- That's Rita. She traveled from PA to be w/us. I had 3 of my siblings there that day. 3 couldn't make it.

Viking- It really was the best gift. I don't think any of the kids had been able to talk to him since he left so that was very special.

12/28/2006 03:49:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Mary, I did Thanks!
Too much eating & drinking
Too much food, no time to blog. lol!

12/28/2006 07:23:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

I see you had a great time with family and friends too
I was often filled (or stuffed) till I could not move any further than the sofa in the lounge. lol!

Great to see family, inlaws and special friends from all around

12/28/2006 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

So did we officially scare Sheldon off?
So much fun, thanks for all your work. It was a lovely holiday.
(Even the 30,000 f-bombs dropped by Joey)

12/28/2006 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Nice pics and very Nice you heard from your Son! ; )

12/28/2006 08:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pics of your family and friends, and getting to talk to Micheal, what a wonderful gift. I know it was a big relief for you. You must be a very remarkable woman, and I believe it would be a pleasure to know you.
blessings

12/28/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
your christmas looked wonderful. Funny I was going to ask who the dark haired one was but Spado beat me to it. I'm glad you spoke to Michael, it must ease your heart some. I didn't realize he was the same age as my oldest. You are a really strong woman. I wish for you and your a safe and Happy New Year.
Dawn

12/28/2006 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger sista Rita said...

mary, THAT was a very special day,even though I missed most of the juicy disfunctional stuff... SLEEPING!!! I still can't believe I slept. I obviously need to drink a hell of a lot more AND make your blog a bit more often. I am the "middle" child... often left out, right Jan? (brady bunch reference for all you very young people). love you lots...Rita

12/28/2006 01:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful time was had by all! I love family get togethers be it Christmas or what have you. Spontaneous and loud with loads of laughter and eats and what not :>)! The only way to go...

Peace.

12/28/2006 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Quasar- It was the same for me. Can't do that too often.

Carla- I think he's okay but we really won't know until next year. (30,000 is right!)

Coffee- thanks!

Just Me- I must say I feel exactly the same about you. Sincerely.

Dawn, -Thank you and Happy New Year to you and your family also. It definitely gave me peace of mind for a couple days.

Rita! I am the middle child! No one ever listens to me. Which is why I have to whip out the pointer finger. I am glad you made it. It was so fun. And I know Johnny was glad to have his idol.

Poetryman- Yup. It's a blast. I hope yours was too.

12/28/2006 05:19:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

The middle child? Oh come on!! Coming from a big family myself, I can tell you that we older ones have to take care of the younger ones. Don't be envious of that sweet Carla, it's not her fault that she is so sweet! HAHAHA!

I know I still get the backlash from my mom when my baby sis is acting the fool. I get blamed for spoiling her! Can you imagine that? Okay, so maybe I did a little, but others had a part in it.

Glad to hear you heard from Michael. That had to be the best!

12/28/2006 06:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Donnie you crack me up man! Sweet Carla. LOL.
It was great hearing from Michael. Now I just wish I could get him home.

12/28/2006 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

See? THAT's the kind of inlaws I would have wanted, unfortunately, I'm in this dysfunctional, disconnected family that knows zip about having fun like you guys! Well, at least I get to enjoy your pictures!! And what a nice treat to be able to talk to your son, uninterrupted and just having that happen on Christmas day too. Boy, I cannot imagine my son being his age.. I tell you, my heart goes out to you as a mom and I pray for his safe return. AND QUICK return too!
hugs
Ingrid

12/28/2006 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ingrid-I think quite possibly we freak some people out w/how much fun we can have. But never fear, there is some dysfunction oozing through the cracks.

Thanks for the hugs!

12/29/2006 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Didn't bore me at all! Thanks for sharing your family fun with these awesome pics!

I am so happy you got phone time with Michael! I think you got the best christmas gift of anybody I know...

12/29/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great family times, Mary!
The Best for the New Year!!!

12/30/2006 06:21:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Mary, best wishes for the final moments of this year, and much merriment, great joy and great cheer to see in the incoming Year

12/30/2006 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I am so busy this week but thank you all for stopping by.
Bluegrrrrl- I agree! Happy New Year!

Cream- I wish you the very best New Year!

Quasar-That sounds perfect. I wish you the same too. Great joy for the New Year.

12/30/2006 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Mary! What a fun time!

I wanted to check in, just got back from New York and Pittsburgh. Busy, busy.

I like those gift stealing games, adds an element of ruthless strategy!

Pop in on you soon, Happy New year!

So glad you got to talk to your son, sounds like you all had a great holiday.

(shot glass??? )

12/30/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what fun mary. and the aftermath looks just like the holiday gatherings i remember from back home. every surface covered with someone snoozing. happy new year to you!

Good for Me

12/30/2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Happy New Year Girl, I bet you'll have some more fun pictures of that too!
Here's to getting to know you more since we got acquainted kinda late this year..I do very much enjoy your joi de vivre and humour..too much politics gets to be too much too you know,
all the best to you and your family for the new year,
hugs
Ingrid

12/30/2006 11:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post and great photos - fun personified!

I'm so glad you had a good call with Michael.

May 2007 bring you a safe son, lots of love, peace within and around ... and lots of fun! You're a good woman.

12/31/2006 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Mary-

It's all about family for me and it looks like you have a GREAT one!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL!!!

12/31/2006 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Happy New Year Mary! I love all the pics you share! You guys look like you are fabulously fun to be with!

12/31/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Happy New Year, Mary!

we're safe back in SLC and totally exhausted.

looks like your xmas was a good one!

:)

12/31/2006 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hey Chuck- Happy New Year!

Katie- We can be very fun at times. Happy New Year to you too.

Alice- Rest up! You deserve it. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday.

1/01/2007 08:52:00 AM  
Blogger glenda said...

gle

1/01/2007 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger glenda said...

Whoa, not sure what just happened.
Meant to say, What a great day it is when family comes round and the laughter follows. Happy new year, Mary!

1/01/2007 09:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters