Saturday, December 23, 2006

King John's Christmas

And now I would like to share my favorite Christmas poem from "Now We Are Six" by A.A. Milne which is one of my favorite books. I loved this book and "When We Were Very Young" from when I was a child. You can use such expression reading these to children (or yourself).


KING JOHN'S CHRISTMAS

King John was not a good man-
He had his little ways.
And sometimes no one spoke to him
For days and days and days.
And men who came across him,
When walking in the town,
Gave him a supercilious stare,
Or passed with noses in the air-
And bad King John stood dumbly there,
Blushing beneath his crown.

King John was not a good man,
And no good friends had he.
He stayed in every afternoon...
But no one came to tea.
And, round about December,
The cards upon his shelf
Which wished him lot of Christmas cheer,
And fortune in the coming year,
Were never from his near and dear,
But only from himself.

King John was not a good man,
Yet had his hopes and fears.
They'd given him no present now
For years and years and years.
But every year at Christmas,
While minstrels stood about,
Collecting Tribute from the young
For all the songs they might have sung,
He stole away upstairs and hung
A hopeful stocking out.

King John was not a good man,
He lived his life aloof;
Alone he thought a message out
While climbing up the roof.
He wrote it down and propped it
Against the chimney stack:
"TO ALL AND SUNDRY-NEAR AND FAR-
F. CHRISTMAS IN PARTICULAR."
And signed it not "Johannes R."
But very humbly, "Jack."

I want some crackers,
And I want some candy;
I think a box of chocolates
Would come in handy;
I don't mind oranges, I do like nuts!
And I SHOULD like a pocket-knife
That really cuts.
And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
Bring me a big, red, india-rubber ball!"

King John was not a good man-
He wrote this message out,
And gat him to his room again,
Descending by the spout.
And all that night he lay there,
Aprey to hopes and fears.
"I think that's him a-coming now."
(Anxiety bedewed his brow.)
"He'll bring one present, anyhow-
The first I've had for years."

"Forget about the crackers,
and forget about the candy;
I'm sure a box of chocolates
Would never come in handy;
I don't like oranges,
I don't want nuts,
And I HAVE got a pocket-knife
That almost cuts.
But, oh! Father Christmas,
if you love me at all,
Bring me a big, red, india-rubber ball!"

King John was not a good man-
Next morning when the sun
Rose up to tell a waiting world
That Christmas had begun,
And people seized their stockings,
And opened them with glee,
And crackers, toys and games appeared,
And lips with sticky sweets were smeared,
King John said grimly:
"As I feared,
Nothing again for me!"

" I did want crackers,
And I did want candy;
I know a box of chocolates
Would come in handy;
I do love oranges,
I did want nuts.
I haven't got a pocket-knife-
Not one that cuts.
And, oh! if Father Christmas had loved me at all,
He would have brought a big, red, india-rubber
ball!"

King John stood by the window,
And frowned to see below
The happy bands of boys and girls
All playing in the snow.
A while he stood there watching,
And envying them all...
When through the window big and red
There hurtled by his royal head,
And bounced and fell upon the bed,
An india-rubber ball!"

AND, OH, FATHER CHRISTMAS,
MY BLESSINGS ON YOU FALL
FOR BRINGING HIM
A BIG, RED,
INDIA-RUBBER
BALL!

I will be hanging a hopeful stocking this year too. My wish of course is for an end to this war and peace on earth.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God be with you, Mary, and your young brave son, on this Christmas. Prayers and blessings to you and yours.

12/23/2006 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Good morning Mary! Thanks for sharing this poem! My hopeful stockings are hung by the chimney with care...and I am wishing for the same as you.

12/23/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger glenda said...

Best to you, Mary. my wish is the same, an end to this war and peace on earth.

12/23/2006 01:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to read this to my children as well.:) It was a good excuse to get to read it again myself!:)

12/23/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Just Me- Thank you. I am wishing the same for you and your family.

Bluegrrrrl- I do hope are stockings are full come Christmas morning.

Thank you Glenda. Enjoy the holiday w/your family! Peace.

TUA-It is the best to read to kids but I must say I enjoyed it just fine by myself.

12/23/2006 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

Loved this! Thank you!

12/23/2006 03:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, thanks for sharing this poem.

I will share it with my children.

You and your son will be in our thoughts this holiday.

12/23/2006 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I had never heard that poem. Good one and a good lesson. If I have anything to do with it, I would fill your stocking with your wish.

12/23/2006 07:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,

Merry Peace to you and yours!

peace, peter

12/23/2006 08:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best, Mary!
May your Mike come back safe soon!

12/23/2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger spadoman said...

All the best to you and your family and all you hold precious and dear my friend.

12/24/2006 05:38:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I totally remember those books-I had them in paperback. And I adored them.

12/24/2006 06:07:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Very nice Thanks!
Sounds like the Bastards are making hay over Iran ; (
Might be awhile before anything good happens with this bunch ; (
As always, my Best to you all!

12/24/2006 06:35:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Katie- Glad you enjoyed it!

Dizzy- I hope the children like it. I like to use an British accent when I read it. (Thanks for your thoughts of Michael)

Peacechick- I KNOW you would.

Peter,
Merry Peace ( I do love that) to you and yours also!

Thank you Cream- I hope you are surrounded by wonderful people over the holidays!

Spadoman-And to you also. Enjoy the holiday w/your wonderful friends and family in your wonderful town.


I knew you'd remember Carla.

Coffee Messiah- It is disheartening...
I wish you much peace over the holidays. So glad to have made the connection.

12/24/2006 08:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Mary. I'm praying for your son in Iraq.

Take Care of Yourself...

12/24/2006 08:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and Healthy New Year.

From WT, MDW and the furries.

(Sorry it's not personalised, but if I wrote individual greetings to everyone I'd miss out on Christmas Lunch, and you know I'm not going to let that happen.)

12/24/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

never knew this poem , how neat. Since I emigrated, I never have written poems again, it's different not doing it in your mother tongue. Anyway, I really like all the personal pics and interesting stories you post and making cannolI wow..kudos to you girlie! Merry Christmas, I bet you have snow to get you in the mood, we're having a cold spell after two days of solid rain, oh well, we needed it!
great, now I'm hungry...lol
time to turn in so that I can get up early with two exciting (but sick and coughing) kids.. Santa, one night of uninterrupted sleep, keep the damn hippopotomussess...sese..whatever!
Ingrid

12/24/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Happy Holidays Mary. I hope you and yours have the best time ever!!!!!!!!

12/25/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger DivaJood said...

Happy holidays, and Peace on Eart to you and yours!

12/25/2006 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Merry Christmas, Mary!

Didn't know of the poem, but read Winnie the Pooh!

12/25/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger msliberty said...

Happy Christmas, Mary!

When I prayed for our troops, I said a special word for your son. My prayer is for peace.

12/25/2006 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I'm late getting around, but wanted to wish you & yours a HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!

12/26/2006 08:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters