Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Night Out

Last night John and I got together with some of our favorite people. This is the Assateague camping crowd. We met at a restaurant. We hardly laughed at all...












Now wait a minute. Let's review...



What happened to Bill in this picture? Oh, there he is with the napkin on his head at the head of the table. (He was NOT the designated driver.)

After dinner we retired to Maggie and Jimmy's studio across the street for homemade chocolate chip cookies and WATER and COFFEE. Well some people had wine but not John and I.

Our host and hostess.





And look at that lovely mermaid fireplace!



Joe schooling David and Bill.



Fun night. Great friends. Time to go. Johns the designated driver.



Me. "Hey honey what are all those lights up ahead?"
John "That's a sobriety check point dear."
Me. "Turn down this side street!"
John "I'm not turning. I'm fine. Don't worry."

So when the cop asks John if he had anything to drink he says he had a couple earlier. Not a good answer. He was asked to do the sobriety test. Okay. NO problem.




The window is down so I can hear everything. They start by shining a light in his eyes and asking him to follow it. John tries to tell them he has a lazy eye. The cop tells him he better get it to move tonight. He keeps telling John (whom he already patted down) to take his hands out of his pockets. John says it is cold outside, I'm bald, I don't have my hat. Meanwhile I think we are going to the slammer for sure just because John does not know how to shut it. There are like 4 other cops standing there. He passes all the tests. They ask him to do a breath-alizer test and he says sure. He's very confident. I'm still unsure. He passes. They ask him to please leave his car there anyway and see if he can get a ride. He starts to argue that he passed so why can't he drive. Finally it occurs to him to just shut up and say okay.

We call Lisa. We start walking down the road on a side street so Lisa doesn't have to come down where all the cops are and be intimidated. Normally I like a walk. And after all that stress I kinda needed a walk. But not as much as I needed a bathroom from drinking all that water and coffee at Maggies. And not when I am wearing my new faux fur lined pumps to fool my friends into thinking I'm not really that short after all. And not when it is so cold outside and I am not wearing the proper outerwear. But in the name of getting away from the fuzz I persevered. It was a beautiful, clear night and I enjoyed the evening sky. Still didn't see a meteor shower though. Lisa picked us up about a mile down the road.



So happy when I got home and kicked off those shoes.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you always have such fun Friday nights?

12/16/2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Oh my, Mary! Perfect ending to the evening, huh? Think John will take the side street next time?

12/16/2006 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looked like such a boring night. How'd you keep from falling asleep?:)

Those checkpoint cops can be some real ignorant assholes. I take meds that affect my balance a bit, and god, the hours I've spent blowing in their testers, walking white lines, touching my nose, and other bullshit!!

John better "get his lazy eye working" is a prime example of the intelligence out there...(: Sheesh!!

12/16/2006 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Seeing these photos make me miss my friends on the west coast ; (
We used to have duners (SF at least once a yr) or pot luck
a few times a year at someones house.
These get togethers surely are the best!
Although I don't drink, out here, they always tell you where they are going to have those
check points......so silly!

12/16/2006 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Beth- You gotta have fun! And I don't do it every weekend. (But if they are willing I am.) But this particular group of people are a blessing to share any time with. I am lucky to have them as friends.

Bluegrrrrl- I think John will take a cab no matter what he did or didn't drink. It didn't seem to matter that he passed the test.

TUA- It's no wonder I don't like them. They seem to NEED to harrass people.

Coffee Messiah- There is nothing better than some good friends. Even the cops couldn't mar my memory of that evening. My face still hurts from laughing.

12/16/2006 01:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see you "hardly laughed"!
I am still in love with that Mermaid of yours, Mary!
Beautiful and shiny!

12/16/2006 01:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do
When they come for you?

Sounds like an episode of COPS.

12/16/2006 02:22:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cream- Hardly at all!

Antonio- Don't cha know I was thinking the same thing while I was sitting in the car!

12/16/2006 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I think those cops are just mean spirited because they didn't get to have a fun party. BTW, I put your wetlands Good Planet photo up as my desktop pic. Thanks for that and loooove the mermaid fireplace.

12/16/2006 05:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gobsmacked! We don't have sobriety tests (they are too subjective) we only have breath tests, and if you pass you pass, end of story!

Glad you had a good time otherwise.

12/16/2006 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

isn't it good to be a cop and be able to tell people what to do?? tschaa!
Ingrid

12/16/2006 05:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Mary Mary. John John John.

you two can be my designated drinkers.

peace, peter

12/16/2006 07:52:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

It's the Gestapo's checkpoint.

Lovely fireplace!

12/16/2006 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Yea, they announce those DWI check points here too! You could ride in circles around them because they actually tell everyone the exact spot they will be at.

12/17/2006 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

So funny! But what was Lisa's reaction?

12/17/2006 07:46:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol! Mary, awesome crowd
Gonna have to make my way there
for a great Saturday Night Out.

So no meteor showers huh
Well you know what they say better one Star in hand )in da house) than a thousand high up in the sky!

Hope your head is not too fuzzzzy
in the morning after a late night
Laters ...

12/17/2006 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Peacechick- You're right. There jealous. It's usually the culprit. I'm glad you liked that photo. It's right down the street from home. I love looking at Good Planet too.

Willowtree- Johns moving to Australia. If you pass you pass. Couldn't be simpler.

Ingrid- Right. That's how they get their rocks off. (did I say that?)

Peeta, Peeta, Peeta (that's supposed to be a Bette Davis voice). We're honored.

Yoga- That's exactly how I felt!

Donnie- Where exactly do they announce this news? I must be missing it. I've got to get a clue.

Carla- Funny you should ask. John started to lecture her when she picked us up about "Here's one more reason why you should never drink and drive." and she said, "Ummm, you guys are the ones that called me." Too-che! (obviously I know no French)

Quasar- You would definitely have fun w/this crowd. In fact one of my friends gave me a lunar calendar for 2007 that night.

12/17/2006 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger Ben Heine said...

Hi Mary, funny picture, nice friends!

12/17/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Touche! Mary, down here, they actually put it in the newspaper. We will have checkpoints at such and such places between the hours of so and so. I laugh everytime I see one. But get this, they still nail people every time! It's like, hey you dork, they told you a day or two in advance that they would be there on that night. How freaking stupid is that? Just recently, they caught someone for 4th and 5th DWI's at one of those very same checkpoints that was listed in the paper! Needless to say, they won't be out of prison for some time.

12/17/2006 01:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great story mary -- and love the pumps at the end.

GFMvswp

12/17/2006 05:56:00 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

what a story!

I'm so glad you didn't get busted.

and walking in heels like that - just sucks!

(oh, I'm back from my leg of the Fool Relay - you can check the vid of it on YouTube... got my free time back, kind of!)

:)

12/18/2006 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ben- You would like them. Most of them are artists.

Donnie- Thank you for the French lesson. That was easy and I should have known it.
So Donnie- I guess John and I are the dorks. Maybe I should renew that subscription to the local paper. It's not good for much at all though. And seriously, John and I do not drink and drive. We're good. That's what we were trying to tell them. (Well John was good. I was not driving.)

Lukka- I loved that video! Poor kid must be tired. I was just thinking about him today. I guess he will be w/strangers on Christmas right?

12/18/2006 01:16:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

I guess it all depends on where you live Mary. I know that in my parish down here, they let everyone know. Maybe it has something to do with the state laws and if they consider it to be a potential entrapment. Not sure, but they sure let you know on the holidays where not to drive around here.

12/18/2006 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sounds like a very interesting and fun night... lol.. .

12/18/2006 06:55:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

That's a good story. It sounds like something that would happen to us. I wouldn't have done what your hubby did though- starting with driving right up to the "Police State checkpoint".

In our state, I'm pretty sure you can refuse the sobriety test & the breathalizer and demand to be taken to the nearest hospital to have your blood drawn at cost to the state. That usually would shut them down...unless you're slobbering drunk. :)

12/19/2006 12:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters