Monday, January 22, 2007

The Big Apple!




I am back from my much needed excursion to NYC. I do love a trip to the city. There is no better companion for me in the city than my husband John. He seriously moves with such ease in the city. Never lost, completely comfortable and at ease with everyone he comes across. I just tell him what I want to do and he gets me there.

We arrived on Friday and immediately took to the streets for a little shopping.
We weren't taking any pictures until John saw this sculpture which he insisted on being photographed with.



It was right outside of Nobu but it was to crowded so we grabbed dinner at our favorite pizza place, Angelos. I had a salad, John had pizza and chicken cacciatore. When we got back to the hotel we had drinks in the bar and then retired to our room and watched a hysterical Louie C.K. comedy show. I loved his show Lucky Louie. If you have never seen it you MUST. (Wait until the kids are in bed for sure.) Check out this youtube of him. Or just go to youtube and search Lucky Louie for some really funny clips.



Okay so back to NYC...
Next morning we hits the streets again. We were trying to hit the Chelsea flea market we love but it had snowed the night before so no one was there. Bummer. We were hungry somewhere around NoLita and someone told us to get breakfast at Cafe Colonial. It was this great little Brazilian Cafe. The menu was terrific. I exercised control and ordered a protein shake and John ordered eggs, hash browns, sausage and toast. I never realized how much self-control it takes to eat 3 meals a day w/him.

Next stop, Empire State Building. We had never been to the top so we decided to check that off our list. BAD idea!




It was so freaking cold and windy up there I couldn't think much less take in the view. Luckily John persevered and got some pictures. Awesome view. Loooong way down.









We headed back and once again found a graffiti wall. Can't pass up a chance to get a shot of art.



My sister Carla and her husband Scott were coming in on the train around 11:00 so we headed back to the hotel. By this time John was on a roll w/the camera and was even snapping shots in crowded elevators. I was annoyed. He would always try to start a conversation w/the elevator crowd and they usually just stared at him. He kept trying though. It would have been a better shot had he taken pictures of them.



We stopped by Carla and Scotts room for a little.




Finally it was time to leave for the show. We decided to walk to the theatre despite the bitter cold. I bought a hat off a street vendor after the Empire State Building and was glad I had it. Carla wished she had one.



We arrived at the show.


Our seats were excellent. The show was awesome. The set design was fantastic. Christine Ebersole nailed the part of Little Edie. The back story we all agreed was just right. I felt like they really conveyed the story well. Edies disappointment in life just made me cry in the end. I was really moved. In fact Carla and I cried halfway down the block afterward. It's a must see for sure. It was definitely a plus seeing it with Carla and Scott as they are both from the theatre. It made for a little more in depth discussion.

John bought me a couple souvenirs from the show. A Grey Gardens t-shirt and a pin. They sold a bunch of different "Edie-isms" on pins.



Next stop, Strip House in the West Village.
We had entirely too much fun.






We laughed so hard. Something like this...




Carla is so endlessly good in front of the camera. I just can't show you all the good shots. But her shiny happy face will be this posts ending shot. If only the photographer was a good as the subject. Then again it does convey the feeling of the end of the evening.



Big fun folks. Now it's back to reality.

Ooops! I almost forgot. The obligatory annual shot of the Strip House men's room:


(Click on it.)

27 Comments:

Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

That really looked like fun, except danged cold fun!! I see John and I share the same tastes in winter caps.:) My wife makes them for me. I must have half a hundred laying around here.

That men's room shot. A lot of shoes must get wet with that kind of stuff on the wall! I can just see the first time visitor looking up.....:)

1/22/2007 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

I'm jealous. I'll say no more!!

1/22/2007 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Good for Me said...

"I just tell him what I want to do and he gets me there." Oi - if I had someone like this, I think I would actually go to places like Phili and NYC. I get pretty freaked about not knowing where I am or how to get where I want to go...in cities. Sounds like a perfect trip for you two!!!

1/22/2007 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Great fun and like the street shot of the graffiti!

1/23/2007 05:43:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

Can I go next time? Please, please, please!!!

1/23/2007 06:46:00 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Great post! I loved reading and seeing the whole trip. Where to next?

1/23/2007 07:07:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

TUA- John has a ton of hats only he isn't lucky enough to have a wife who makes them.

It's funny I have never been to the ladies room there. I will make a point to use it next time and see whats on walls. My guess is its the same as usual. Discrimination.

Willowtree- I want to go back. Right now.

Good For Me- I know I am lucky to have him. I hope to never see the day when I have to find my own way around.

Coffee-I love the graffiti. You can look at it and discover so much. At the very least its a great back drop.

No-Yes!

Peacechick- DC baby! Peace march!

1/23/2007 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

I'm glad the show was great and that you had a good time. I work 6 blocks from the empire state building. I was trying to figure out where that grafitti wall could be. Anyway You all look so happy, I'm glad the show lived up to your expectations

1/23/2007 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Wish I could tell you Dawn but I have no idea where I was. I usually know what neighborhood I'm in but I can't remember where we were when we took it. I do know someone walked by and said better get a picture now because it's coming down.

1/23/2007 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

Sounds like a great trip Mary. So glad you had a good time. I would love to go out and have dinner with you folks sometime. One of my cities, or one of yours. Maybe someday.

John sounds like me, being obnoxious and talking to everybody. Once in a while, you'll cross another old soul that :"get's it" and aconnection, even a quick one, takes place and a memory is made.

"Remember the time we ........."

Peace to you, my friend.

1/23/2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Having fun in the City
You two sisters musta turned some heads and had taxis tooting - lol!

1/23/2007 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Been trying to get a closer look and figure out the sculpture
At first I thought they were reflections of City Lights ...

1/23/2007 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Oh my Fine Mens Room Art and and your hubby to post with a Large Woman ( it was Henri Moore right?) ..wow that was wonderful to see the NYC tour....made my whole day...that was great...

1/23/2007 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Glad you enjoyed the trip!

1/23/2007 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Dear Mary,

great pics! i like the one of John at the top of the Empire State Building!

peace, peter

1/23/2007 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Excellent pics, Mary!!! I have never been to NYC, now I want to go even more (road trip, NO?)

Can't wait to see your pics of DC!!! Thanks in advance for participating!

1/24/2007 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Fun!!!

And that Carla always has a smile on her face.

1/24/2007 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Looks like fun was had by all. I thought you were going to tell us that you actually ran into Louie C.K., but his HBO special is the next best thing.

1/24/2007 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Spado- I am sure you and John would make quite the duo. I hope someday comes sooner than later.

Quasar- In that city I don't think you would even notice if a taxi was honking for you but I guess I could imagine that is what all the honking is about the next time I'm there. Great idea!
(Did you figure out that sculpture yet?)

Enigma-I believe you are right about it being a Henry Moore. I do love NYC. It just never disappoints.

Yoga- Thanks. Already thinking of when I can go again.

Peter- I just wasn't in the mood to take pictures. Usually I am the photog. John took over and went to town. I love that one too. He did a great job.

Bluegrrrrl! You must go!

Antonio- As you already know she is tres photogenic.

JM-Thank you! I was waiting to hear from a kindred spirit on Louie C.K. Do I have a warped sense of humor? I think that guy is the funniest.

1/24/2007 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

dam Mary, next time you are going to be in NYC, let me know. If I'm on a job, I'll give you a tour of the studios!

Glad you enjoyed yourself, looks like you guys had a ball!

d.

1/24/2007 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

It's fun when you share pictures- looks like you guys had a great (COLD!!!) time.

1/25/2007 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hey D! Thanks. I believe I will take you up on that offer.

Chuck-It was fun. The cold is okay if you are dressed properly. Which usually I was...

1/25/2007 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Sounds great but I would insist the weather be a bit warmer. Super duper pin too!

1/25/2007 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Hey Mary...check your IM's at PT...I got a very important question for you!

1/26/2007 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hey POP. The pin is the best. I'll be wearing it in DC.

1/26/2007 08:44:00 AM  
Blogger thepoetryman said...

Loved the sitcom clip! Whoooo! Oh my!

Why?

Well...Because I did, I found it to be funny, witty, sly.

Why?

Because it was very dry. Dry. Dry.

Why?

Because it wasn't wet. (*Sigh*)

Why?

Because it was dry. Humor. Dry humor to me is always best. Its Wry.

Why?

Bye bye...

1/26/2007 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you Poetryman! Another like mind.

1/31/2007 08:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters