Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tagged!

I've been tagged by the ever cool Bluegrrrrl for the artsy fartsy meme and I'm going to go for it since I haven't been posting to much. Too busy in the studio. I will be opening the kiln today to see the fruits of my labor. Hopefully they won't be rotten.
I will be in NYC this weekend which should produce one post anyway. Until then...

Name a book that you want to share so much that you keep giving away copies:

When it comes to books it is always hard for me narrow it down to one. There are SOOO many important and just plain entertaining books. I think every American should read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. One of my all time favorite books is The God of Small Things. The first time I read it I finished it and immediately turned to the first page and started it again. Just beautiful.

Name a piece of music that changed the way you listen to music:

Changed the way I listen to music? Hmmm. Depending on my mood and the music, I listen to it all differently. And I have always been exposed to all kinds of music... Sometimes it's about the emotion of the piece and sometimes the lyrics and sometimes the rhythm. Obviously I am struggling with this one. I don't have a piece that changed the way I listen to music. Sorry.

Name a film you can watch again and again without fatigue:

Monsoon Wedding. Out of Africa. Heartburn. Blue Sky. The Right Stuff. Alamo Bay And I do like watching Sissy Spacek in Coal Miners Daughter. If I think about it I could go on and on.

Name a performer for whom you suspend all disbelief:

Jessica Lange, Meryl Streep, Ed Harris, Helen Mirren, Jeremy Irons, Anthony Hopkins.

Name a work of art you'd like to live with:



The Kiss by Gustav Klimt. Klimt is one of my favorites. I love Art Nouveau. I love the way this painting is so mosaic. And I love the feel of this. The way she is enveloped by him. And held.

Name a work of fiction which has penetrated your real life:

Every book I read penetrates my real life. I honestly think thats why I have such a love of books. I could write a list of books and how they effected me or what they gave me but it would be too long.

Name a punch line that always makes you laugh:

I am one of those people that can't tell a joke or remember one. I do laugh everytime my children imitate Napoleon Dynamite.

Now, I don't normally tag people but I am going to and just don't do it if you don't want to.

I tag...
Spadoman, Mark, (I'd like to see what TUA would say but I know he won't do it), Alice
and Beth (put it in the comments Beth) . Actually I am interested in what all my blogger friends would answer so feel free!

See you after NYC!


18 Comments:

Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

Remember some time back I'd told you I was reading Their Eyes Were Watching God?

I'd put it down to read some other books that my neighbour had lent me. Now I can't put down this book, her writing is so lush! I read sentences over and over just to savour them.

New York in winter, wow. Have fun.

1/18/2007 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

GG-I loved that book. Maybe I will read it again.

1/18/2007 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

I started reading "Americans At Risk" which was a gift from The Democratic Daily. It talks about how we are not prepared for responses to mega-disasters like Katrina. Not far into the book yet, but there are some creepy scenerios! It gives you the chils just to think about it.

1/18/2007 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I have to go and dig up my answers. ;-)

1/18/2007 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Donnie- Katrina is proof enough for me. Let me know how you like it.

Ole Blue- I'll be waiting...

1/18/2007 05:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Name a book that you want to share so much that you keep giving away copies:

i don't give away any books and i rarely lend- but always recommend. Selfish i know but i have had some folks keep what i consider treasures- and the books are like friends. I recommend all of the time that folks read- The Mythmaker: Paul and the invention of christianity by hyam maccoby.

Name a piece of music that changed the way you listen to music:
mozart's the magic flute

Name a film you can watch again and again without fatigue:
willy wonka and the chocolate factory, o, brother where art thou?, undercover blues

Name a performer for whom you suspend all disbelief:
hugo weaving

Name a work of art you'd like to live with:
anything by ascender rises above- she is fantastic

Name a work of fiction which has penetrated your real life:
the years of the locust by loula grace erdman

Name a punch line that always makes you laugh:
anything in national lampoon's christmas vacation- i have watched the movie thousands of times and it makes me laugh every freaking time!

1/18/2007 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger pinkfem said...

I actually have a frmaed print of that Klimt painting. sometimes i hang it sideways. It looks great no matter how you hang it. I saw a cool Klimt show in Vienna 3 years ago!! It was amazing.

1/18/2007 06:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mary.... I am honored to be tagged by you.

I'll post it on my blog real soon.

1/18/2007 09:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

done, Mary! it's over on the Godsylla main page.

have fun in NYC :)

1/19/2007 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Thanks for being a sport, Mary! Call me weird, but I love reading people's responses to these things...

I want to add that Meryl Streep should have been at the top of my list of performers...almost every person I tagged named her.

NYC? Hope it's a blast!

1/19/2007 08:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,

i loved that movie with Sissy Spacek, Coal Miners Daughter. i have the sound track.

peace, peter

1/19/2007 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

wow..I've been tagged..I'll think about the other answers after I stare at The Kiss by Gustav Klimt for a while...yum.

Beth

1/20/2007 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

I like anything Gene Hackman does, I love all the novels by Nelson DeMille and James Lee Burke, I too like Jessica Lange, and let's see, am I done yet? Love the movie The Color Purple..could watch it again and again.

1/20/2007 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

Let's see, I'm not really anwering the correct questions, am I? Oh, well, this is so exciting to be tagged..

Thanks, Mary!

P.S. How could I forget my all time favorite Al Pacino?

1/20/2007 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

..and how could I forget Muriel's Wedding?

Am I done now?

Nah..I'll be back.

1/20/2007 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Betmo-
I am going to look for the year of the locust. I'm intrigued.

Pinkfem- I think I would stop breathing if I was lucky enough to see a Klimt show.

Spadoman- I will patiently wait.

Alice- Be right over.

Bluegrrrrl- I think it's interesting to see what peoples responses are too.

Peter- I think Sissy just nailed that performance. Peace

No- You still have music and art....

1/22/2007 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

Oh, man, music and art...you are one tough cookie, aren't ya?

Okay, I'm working on it..

1/22/2007 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

music...there is something about the song Purple Rain by Prince that I just can't seem to forget...and art?
um, do you need to ask? "The Kiss" says it all!!!1

1/22/2007 09:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters