Monday, May 14, 2007

Sanibel

I haven't been a very good blogger lately but that's okay. May is a busy month always for me. I add graduations, weddings, gardening to an already very busy day. I still want to relate a little of my Sanibel trip though it is hard to slow down and think about it. Let me try.

After the South Carolina beach wedding and the too short stay in Savannah we headed over to Sanibel Island. This is the one place that I just find so peaceful that I am totally able to relax. We hit the beach immediately. It was all soaking up the sun, shelling and swimming. A few days anyway...




This is pretty much all I saw of John and Johnny after they bought snorkel masks. The hunt for shells is addicting. We rarely get any on the beach here.



We like to rent bikes in Sanibel and ride around in the morning to see what we can see. They have a motor home park there and we alway stop in because they have some extra wildlife there. This particular morning we got lucky. The birds caretaker was there and Johnny got to have this beauty on his shoulder. They really took to each other.


Our ride continued but I still didn't even catch a glimpse of one of these dammit.



Our time was way too short on Sanibel but I'll take what I can get. We had gotten ourselves a long way off from home and had to start back. We left very early in the morning and encountered alot of traffic in Florida. I thought we were never gonna get out of that state. When we finally hit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel I finally felt like we were getting somewhere. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is the largest bridge-tunnel complex in the world. It is one of the Seven Engineering Wonders of the Modern World. It measures 17.6 miles from shore to shore. More importantly the toll is 12 dollars both ways!



Anyway I've been home for a week now and busier than ever playing catch up. It didn't help that while I was away a cat had kittens in my barn. Most of my week was spent rounding them up and getting them and their mother out of there. They were cute , sure. But I have a cat. A barn cat. A fixed barn cat. She catches mice and the like. She was terrorized by the mother cat as we all were. Mother cat wasn't letting any of us in that barn. We've reclaimed our barn and kitties are safe w/their ferocious mother and will be adopted out. It's all good.

15 Comments:

Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures. Beautiful photos you've got here.

5/14/2007 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Awww. Johnny, getting a kiss! Thanks again for the trip. When we snorkle (scalloping usually) we yell, "Bums up!" Everyone goes into the water grinning.

5/14/2007 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

dear mary,

i love the shells. will you put some in a mosaic?

peace, peter

5/14/2007 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Another great stopover!
Will you use the shells for your mosaics?

5/14/2007 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Sanibel looks as lovely and peaceful as I remembered, arn't the shells great on the gulf side. Well would love to say i'll take the cats but I have enough with the 2 dogs and I think Tyson wouldn't like it

5/14/2007 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

La Bellina- Thanks.

Peacechick- He said that kiss felt good too.

Peter- Heck yeh!

Cream- Yes I most definitely will mosaic with them. That's why I picked some that were perfect. The kids go for the perfect ones but I can use just tops or whatever.

Dawn- There are only so many children and cats that we can have. And I have to give my cat Blue her props. She had a long week w/o us there fending the ferocious (and I am not kidding) momma cat off. She was glad to see us.

5/14/2007 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger Good for Me said...

looks and sounds like a wonderful time.

i drive the bay-bridge tunnel at least twice a year to visit my sis in VA Beach. it's a remarkable structure...and a little nerve wracking when driving it at night!

5/15/2007 08:21:00 AM  
Blogger niCk (Mem Beth) said...

Alright, I love hunting for shells. Down on the gulf, about a third of the good shells have hermits crabs, so you have to be careful, unless you want some new pets.

Nice pics.

I have been on the Bay-Bridge tunnel many times, my son lives in Va Beach. I will be leaving to go to Va Beach tomorrow, he is getting married on Saturday.

5/15/2007 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Nick- Congratulation to your son! That's big stuff isn't it? I have a nephew is VA Beach. I have never visited though. I was thinking I should when we drove past the other week.
My daughter graduates college this coming weekend. I will be traveling again!

Good for me- Everyone seems to have someone in Va Beach don't they? I'm so close I really should explore the place. And yeah the tunnel is remarkable. I love the shots of it from the air. How you see the bridge and then it disappears into the water.

5/15/2007 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Been through the tunnel a time or two myself.

Your photos are beautiful, and it sounds like you really got to enjoy yourself. You deserve it. I wish you would take me along sometime ;)

5/15/2007 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

Wow! What a beautiful place to spend time at! Loved the photos! Thank you for sharing and taking me there!

5/15/2007 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Shrink wrapped scream said...

Watch out mum, he's gonna be breaking more than a few hearts before too long - handsome little fella, 'aint he?

Feral cats, eh? Hope you weren't sliced up too bad during the eviction!

Shells, ahhhh.. I don't snorkel (anymore.. long story) but I do beach-comb. What a beautiful collection. Seems like you filled your time well.

5/15/2007 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Where are the beach pics of Carla?
...welcome home!

5/15/2007 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Thanks for the tour Mary. That bird is beautiful.

5/16/2007 03:19:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Just me- I figured you must have been that way. I let you know next time we go.

Katie- You do like a walk about don't you?

Carol- They are already beating down the doors for him. Amazing.

Yoga- Well, sorry...

Donnie- Hi there. That bird made our day. We got lots of pictures.

5/16/2007 08:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters