Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Savannah

The morning after the wedding we headed about 2 more hours south and we were in Savannah. Mmmmmmmm. I fell in love with that city.



I am a prepared traveler which means (besides over packing) I always read my guide book and know what I want to see. John would prefer to hop on a tour bus, get a feel for the city and then go back to the places you want to see. As I had been out until 2 AM at the wedding the night before I did it his way. I hated sitting still in the bus for so long but I did get a better overview of the city.

The historic district with its trees dripping in Spanish Moss (which is neither Spanish nor moss but a type of air fern as we learned on the tour),



the lush and quiet squares throughout,



Magnolia trees everywhere! and the beautiful homes.





While we were in Savannah I was really hoping to eat at Paula Dean's restaurant Lady and Sons. The minute we got our room I called and it seemed you had to stop by and put your name on a list. It was about 2 and because it was Sunday they closed at 5. I didn't feel hopeful but we went over anyway. As soon as we walked up they yelled out to the crowd of people standing around, "Does anyone want to eat right now?" We do! And we walked right in. Lucky. Turns out Sunday is only Southern buffet. This worked out fine for me because I was able to try a lot of food I might not have tasted otherwise. And let me tell you there was not a thing I didn't like. OMG! Fried chicken, collard greens, barbecue, macaroni and cheese, green beans, cheese biscuits, hoe cakes. I went for it. I would never eat this kind of food. In fact lots of it was foreign to me but I was there and I was going to experience all the South had to offer. I loved it! Then came dessert. Gooey butter cake, banana pudding, peach cobbler....(I got on the scale the minute I got home and I am happy to report no weight gain.)

There we are in Paula Dean's, stuffed to the gills but quite happy.



So a little more touring of the city brought us to this cemetery called Colonial Park Cemetery.
During the civil war Union troops were stationed there. They vandalized many of the graves. As a result there were gravestones lying about and no one knew where exactly they went. Many are so old and worn that you can't read them. The solution was to line them up on the back wall of the cemetery.






It was really a beautiful old city with so much to offer. As we were walking around this cemetery I heard a woman say to her husband that this city was really not for her. I couldn't imagine not enjoying it.

Check out this tree...






By this point the children had abandoned us preferring the hotel room to more walking. John and I on the other hand try to squeeze as much in to the day as we could. We finally settled in at a table on the street of the Six Pence Pub and had a drink before retiring.



Next morning we had an appointment to tour Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). This was an awesome tour. The school was everything I ever dreamed of. The buildings are spread throughout the city. The students ride bikes and hop on SCAD buses. Every building and department was mind blowing. As we were walking through the fine arts building John mentioned that this would have been the perfect school for me. Glad you feel that way John. See I'm leaving home and running off to Savannah. I've picked my double major and quite a few minors and I think I will live happily ever after. Anyway my daughter did love the school too.

After the tour we squeezed in a little shopping (and there's lots of charming shops here) at Shop SCAD which is a gallery store featuring the artwork of students, staff and alumni. I could have bought everything in there. Lisa bought a dress and a small piece of artwork. Nice way to end our Savannah experience.

Now on to Sanibel Island.

20 Comments:

Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I just love it when you do that - take us on tour with you. My niece went to school there! It was a life changing experience for her and she married in a nearby abandoned civil war church that was then just a park. Lovely. Thanks for the trip this morning. You could also opt for writing travel guides, ya know?

5/09/2007 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

I feel like I was in Savannah with you. I have always wanted to go there. I too would like to visit Paula Dean's restaurant. Thanks so much for sharing!

5/09/2007 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

I've been to Atlanta many times because my brother lives there , never thought to take the trip to Savannah but now knowing Paula Deans restaurant is there I must go. I would say have a great time in Sanibel but theres no way you can't have a great time there. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been too.

5/09/2007 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Shrink wrapped scream said...

Aaahhhh.. next time, I'm coming, too!

5/09/2007 06:29:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Thanks for the side trip! ; )

5/09/2007 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Peacechick - An abandoned civil war church Wow! that is very cool. I tell you I hope that lisa chooses this school because I thought it was awesome.

Krissy- It's a must go to place. Savannah that is. Paula Dean's is icing on the cake.

Dawn- Unfortunately the whole trip occured last week when I wasn't blogging. I'm just taking you down memory lane now. Those were the good old days (last week). And of course I enjoyed Sanibel. I begged to stay longer. I always just chill totally when I am there.

Shrink wrap- Sounds like a plan!

Coffee- Anytime. I wish I could give you a whole lot more. I'll work on it.

5/09/2007 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil ring a bell? I'd love to go to Savannah!!! Did you see the garden?

5/10/2007 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Now I'm in love with Savannah...thanks for sharing this tour with us...love that tree!

5/10/2007 01:46:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

very nice...thanks for the wonderful escape to get my morning started right!

haven't seen you around much...hope all is well!

5/10/2007 08:14:00 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

What a lovely post! I've checked the restaurant's menu! Wow! What a star that Paula is!

5/10/2007 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

I love Savannah, beautiful place, and the warmest waters in the world. I was 21, and had a blast.

5/10/2007 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

wow..that looks so 'genteel'. It looks like a place to visit 'sans enfants'! hmmm...
I'm glad we have 'our' roving food reporter here LOL. I saw Paula Deen on some morning show (which I usually don't watch but visiting family was) and this was right after the women's basketball scandal by that shock jock. Paula Deen was talking to this lady Renee I believe (?) and talked about 'hoe cakes' and then right away said OOPS! I guess I shouldn' ve said that should I?.. she's a hoot..
fried chicken..I'm in the mood for that right now and it's not even 10:30am yet! hmmm..I'm hungry now..
gotta run!
Ingrid

5/10/2007 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy traveling with you!!! :) Fabulous post and pictures!

5/10/2007 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

wow! I think I need to get down to Savannah some time soon! I was there as a 20 yr old - just wandered around, enjoying the beauty, not having a clue where to go but glad I was there. Looks like its time for the adult version of that trip.

Your whole family has that satisfied, post-prandial look on their faces at Paula Deen's, LOL!

5/10/2007 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Glad to see the south has stayed on your mind. It's not just a place, it's a way of life.

5/11/2007 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

I am dripping with jealousy. I wish I were there right now, right now I say. I would love to spend a week or so there, really get to know the place. Your pictures and descriptions put me there in my mind for a few minutes. Thanks for the post, and I am not really jealous, well, maybe just a little, but not in a mean way. I am so glad you got to go and enjoy that experience.

5/12/2007 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

I love those trees! We had them in Florida.... :)

5/12/2007 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kvatch said...

Love Savannah! Spent 4 days there last fall with the Frogette, at the tail end of a tour of SC. Magical.

5/14/2007 08:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were going tomorrow. thanks for the heads up..brandy

3/04/2008 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Anon- So jealous! Have fun! Stop by and tell us about it.

3/05/2008 07:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters