Friday, June 08, 2007

Books and the Internet

I have been tagged twice lately so I am going to take care of this right now.

First I was tagged by my girl Dizzy.
The Little-Known Favorites Meme. Rules: List and describe three of your favorite books that other people might not be familiar with. Then tag five people.

Okay I am a book-aholic. I love reading and I squirrel books away for the future. I also keep a log of sorts on the books I've read and how I liked them. I am not the kind of person who remembers everything I read so this is helpful. I will do my best to give you "little know favorites".

The first one is Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. It's the story of a 16yr old housemaid who is tried for the murder of her employer and his mistress. Very compelling and as usual it's all in HOW Margaret Atwood tells the story.

Next I will say Slammerkin. The author is Emma Donoghue. This is the story of Mary, a servant in the 1760's. She is born into a hard life and the want of a beautiful ribbon changes her life. Lots of good historical details. I loved this book.

The next one I read quite awhile ago but I think its pretty obscure. Life without Water by Nancy Peacock. This book is very short and is about a girl growing up in an abandoned farmhouse w/her hippie mom and dad. Plenty of characters, a volkswagon bus, and a glimpse into the past and an unconventional way of life. It has always stayed w/me.

Now tell me 3 little know favorites of yours please.

The second tag came by way of Ingrid and she asks "When did you start using the internet?" That is a hard question because it's seems so long ago. I do know that my first computer my sister got for me as her husband worked for IBM. It was a 386 or 486. I can't remember. I was pretty fearless on that thing and would figure out all kinds of stuff for myself which I still do. My husband on the other hand is just learning to use email but he uses it to tell people "call me". We have been trying to teach him since we had the 386 but he obviously doesn't want to learn.

So when did you start using the internet?

12 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

OK, you've got me beat. I'm a "486-er" myself, although I don't miss "Win 3.0" and Compuserve one bit! Good luck getting your husband up to speed; my wife took me from "do we really need a computer?" to my current state of addiction pretty quickly, so maybe he's better off the way things are?

6/08/2007 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

WOW, I was using a computer when still in high school. We were the first family on the block to have our own computer. It was a Tandy 1000 from Radio Shack. I had a head start on many with using it. By the time they started teaching computer classes at school, I had a background on it already. I was already using basics in dos then, and writing small programs to make shooting stars and such nonsense.

6/08/2007 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Margaret Atwood - excellent writer and oh brother, can she do characters. As for the internet, I was fortunate to work for one of the companies who was a big player in the early days, thus I got in on all the new research and development stuff very early on - the early 70's. And to think, there were those who could not foresee the PC being anything but a couple of dozen here and there.

6/08/2007 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

JM-I think he's probably better off too.

Donnie- So you are an old hand in computerland. I'm impressed.

Peacechick- I remember going to my sisters work and seeing walls of computers. Never thought I'd have one.

6/08/2007 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

386-1995- (14.4 dial-up) and GeoCities of all things!

If I had to drop back to that ancient nonsense...I wouldn't.

Seems like a lifetime ago.

6/09/2007 01:27:00 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

I studied computing between 73 and 75 and we used an IBM 370. It was housed in refrigerated hangar!!!

Haven't read any of the authors you've listed. It is about time I discovered them. Ta, Mary.

6/09/2007 03:42:00 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Alias Grace - sounds like a good read.

wen did I really start using the computer? Hmm, probably in 1999 when I returned from leaving in Italy. How different was it back when computers didn't figure much in our lives!

6/09/2007 06:12:00 AM  
Blogger Lynn@ZelleBlog said...

I had a Tandy too! Remember DOS??

Ugh.

Anyway, interesting answers Mary! Memes can be fun.

6/09/2007 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Chuck- Too true. Who could wait on that stuff anymore?


Cream- Refrigerated hangar! That's interesting. But sounds like you'd have to put your coat on to use it.

La Bellina- It was definitely a smaller world back then.

Lynn- All these words. Tandy. DOS. Geocities. Dial-up. I'd forgotten them. Ugh is all you can say to that.

6/10/2007 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Lynn@ZelleBlog said...

Oh I know, ancient history now. I am still amazed though by the internet. Still blows my mind!

6/10/2007 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

I'll have to pick up that Atwood book! One of my favorite writers...

I've been using computers since about 1978 (one of my first jobs was watching all the lights on a huge computer in that took up an entire room. That was boring.) The internet? I guess about 1991? Seems like just yesterday, actually...

6/11/2007 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Lynn- Mine too. It's hard to imagine what we did before it. I feel like I must have been so stupid.

Bluegrrrl-That does sound like a boring job.
I imagine the internet makes teaching easier. At least a little. Have fun in Chicago.

6/11/2007 09:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters