Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Interview

Ahhh! My interview questions are in from TUA.

1. The War. We all talk about, it, write about it, but you have to live it - 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for you have currently have a Son over there in combat. How has that changed you and your Husband, how has it changed your life (if at all in both cases), and what would you tell the parents of the "neighbor teen" who can't wait to "see action?"

For John and I, having Michael in Iraq has changed us in many ways. The biggest being that we appreciate and cherish and celebrate every minute with our children. For me personally I would say it has made me more politically aware of whats going on . I always followed politics but this makes me more serious. It has definitely made me an activist for peace. I was always for PEACE but now I try to have my voice heard. There are little ways that it has changed me also such as losing sleep, walking around w/a phone CONSTANTLY in my hand, worrying, worrying, worrying.... and feeling helpless to help my son.

I feel, so deeply for everyone w/a family member over there and for all the soldiers. I want to protect them from these life changing, awful, unnecessary events that occur in a war. But unfortunately I can't do that. So at the very least I want to reach out and let these soldiers and families know I care. I care that you are there. I care about what you are going through. I think it's important because it sure as hell doesn't seem like anyone does care.

I think the best advice I can give parents who may have a child wanting to see action is educate them about the war. Let them read what vets have to say. Let them read the blogs of soldiers who are there now. Better yet get them involved in politics at a very young age. Let them know how you feel about war. Take them to PEACE rallies. If peace is instilled in them at a young age they hopefully wouldn't even consider joining the military. I wish I had had political discussions w/my children. We talked about some things but not war. Big regret. I never would have thought in a million, trillion years that one of my children would join the military. If you can't educate them into not joining than hogtie them until the feeling passes or the next fleeting fancy comes along and take ahold of them.

2. You are enormously talented in a number of areas. Much of your Mosaic work appears on this blog, as well as on this one. Describe in detail what lead you to your interest in Mosaics, did you attend college as an art major, and are there other areas you'd like to branch out to? If you could do the "dream Mosaic", what would it be?

TUA you flatter me. "Enormously talented". Wow. It's just not me. I wish w/every fiber in my being that I had attended college as an art major. I do believe I have a lot of potential I just need the training.

I moved out of my parents house the second I turned 18 and before I was even done w/High School. I did finish my senior year hitch-hiking to school. My father had that same attitude that you see the main character in the movie Cinderella Man has. You don't take the dole. No handouts. With 7 kids that means you don't exactly encourage them to go to college when you're not going to accept financial aid. I think the offer was something like 2 years of community college (and this offer was presented while screaming at the top of his lungs). Ummm....no thanks. I couldn't wait to get out of there. A few of my siblings did work there asses off and went. For the record, shortly before he passed away my father admitted that it was a big mistake not to send his kids to college.

I have always been creative in some way. I drew alot when I was young. I sewed alot and made my own clothes. I would even design and make my own tops. During the few years between leaving home and starting a family I was really into photography. At some point I really needed to recognize that part of me. I was going stir crazy after years of raising kids and had a real need to express myself and do something that paid and was creative. Lo and behold a friend told me of a local potter who needed an assistant and I jumped on it. I learned everything I know there. Glazing tiles and sinks, and doing mosaic mirrors, sinks, back splashes, floors, all of it. I loved it all and am very appreciative of the experience. After sometime though I had to move on. I slowly set up my own studio.

I am the kind of person who wants to put her finger in every pie which is why I would have loved art school. I want to try it all. I want to be proficient in all types of mediums. There is no type of art I wouldn't want to at least try. I would LOVE to be a great painter. I think it would be such a great form of expression. And I think I will eventually explore this avenue.

My dream mosaic would be something BIG like the whole outside of a building or a very long wall somewhere.


3. You're quite a jogger (with Ipod attached, of course!:P). Have you always liked to run, is it a way to "escape it all" for a while, or purely for physical fitness? If you couldn't run, what would you do?

I came to jogging by way of staying in shape. Yep. I'm not happy when I'm overweight and I like to be happy. I do appreciate it as a form of meditation and I definitely get that runners high but I have a bad-ass sweet tooth and I gotta run to counteract that.

4. Your Husband comes home and says "Pack! We're moving to _____" and you can have your choice of any city in the world - but you have to stay there the rest of your life. What city would that be, and why?

I hate this question because I want to live everywhere! But okay if I have to pick just one...I'm would have to say NYC. (I am tempted to say Savannah though.) Why? Because I love the arts and I could indulge there everyday for the rest of my life and never get bored and because John is just a city guy at heart and is highly entertained by the characters of this particular city when he gets there. I believe he'd take up cab driving so he could talk to everyone and drive like a cabbie.



5. The flood waters are rising. You can only grab three things out of your home to take with you (i.e. pics, computer, favorite clothes, etc.) What would those three things be, and describe your decision in detail?

Good question. I am assuming my family is already out. Photo albums because I love going back over my children's lives. I miss my babies and I don't want to forget how adorable they were. Then I would have to take the computer that has more photos on it and for that reason only. Honestly I can't think of a 3rd. I'd be wearing my wedding ring. I mean I adore clean underwear but one pair wouldn't do me much good. Well I guess I could wear the clean pair while I wash the other so...I'll go with a change of underwear. I mean let's face it if this is treated anything like Katrina I won't be allowed to bring anything and if my family is safe then I will be fine.

OMG! I hope I didn't bore the ca-ca out of everyone.

Do YOU want to be interviewed?


Interview rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying ā€œInterview me.ā€
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the
questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview
someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them
five questions.

22 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

Great interview, Mary!
You've always come across as someone who loves being surrounded by your family.

And you ARE talented!!!

Yes, I'd save my laptop too.

6/26/2007 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

This was a great interview Mary. I would love for you to interview me because I think you know me best of all but take your time.Oh I have another music thing on mine leave me your list I'm curious

6/26/2007 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

That was really a great interview... Can I take up the challenge to be interviewed? Yes, if I can do it in a week...

6/26/2007 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

You know you're talented girl. Stop with the modesty!

6/27/2007 01:26:00 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Thank you for turning another wreck into a piece of art!! I agree w/your other commenters. You are talented, so shove off the "shackles" and let 'er rip!:)

I note per your profile, that you're just a year or so older than I was when I started college. GO FOR IT!! It's kinda like a cold shower, when it's hot out. At first, it shocks the hell out of you, but after that, it's really fun!

6/27/2007 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself!

6/27/2007 05:06:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cream- I do love my family. I don't know how not to.

Dawn-
Okay I will interview you. Give me a minute to think of some questions. TUA's were so good.

La bellina- I'll send you the questions and you can answer whenever you want.

Donnie- Awww shucks.

TUA- I'm thinking about it.

CM-No self-confidence. Maybe an education would counteract that.

6/27/2007 06:32:00 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

How interesting. I also love the interviewers choice of questions. Now I know you better.

6/27/2007 07:55:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

what awesome answers, mary. I especially love #1. and you are one awesome person.

which is why...
Consider yourself tagged! (I got tagged twice...look for your name on the second one!)
(no worries if you decline...)

6/27/2007 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

Self-Confidence...I think there should be a school specifically designed with self-confidence as the major....Did I tell you that I actually telemarketed self-confidence seminars? Nope, still didn't work!!! Let's start a school, Mary, okay? Totally get you on this subject, Mary!!!

Great interview....

6/27/2007 09:45:00 AM  
Blogger Gardener Greg said...

Those were great answers Mary. I understand your feelings toward the military but also think that we too often as americans take the blame for the state of the world. I have still believe that this is the greatest country in the world even with all our problems but we are only a small part of this planet.

I hate to see our service people being killed trying to stop a war that has been going on since the dawn of time. I like your idea of getting young people involved with politics and think that is where we need to start. I heard a politician on the TV last night pushing for a bill saying that it is what the people want. Ummmm no one asked me. I am against it. I didn't even know about the bill until I heard about it last night. I think our government is out of control.

I did some research to see what kind of things our elected officials are working on. I found out that they spent almost an entire day trying to determine if a weave is considered "cosmotology" and should require a license to put in.

Whew I am glad that is the biggest problem we face today.

6/27/2007 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Gardener Greg said...

Those were great answers Mary. I understand your feelings toward the military but also think that we too often as americans take the blame for the state of the world. I have still believe that this is the greatest country in the world even with all our problems but we are only a small part of this planet.

I hate to see our service people being killed trying to stop a war that has been going on since the dawn of time. I like your idea of getting young people involved with politics and think that is where we need to start. I heard a politician on the TV last night pushing for a bill saying that it is what the people want. Ummmm no one asked me. I am against it. I didn't even know about the bill until I heard about it last night. I think our government is out of control.

I did some research to see what kind of things our elected officials are working on. I found out that they spent almost an entire day trying to determine if a weave is considered "cosmotology" and should require a license to put in.

Whew I am glad that is the biggest problem we face today.

6/27/2007 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Pursey- Great interviewer that TUA. He really asked great questions of all his interviewees. I can't wait to read the rest of them.


Bluegrrrl-It's like tag fever around here.

Greg- I so agree. They are totally out of control. I always feel like I have to be constantly emailing them to let them know how I feel and still they don't seem to hear.
And the weave thing...Ha! that is so sad!

6/27/2007 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Yes, a fabulous interview Mary, I feel I know you even better now. Dan does pose some great questions, doesn't he? And everyone is their own worst critic, listen to what everyone is telling you YOU ARE VERY TALENTED, okay? I'm sorry for all the worry and agonies you must be experiencing over this bloody mess of a war, I don't know how you manage to old on to your sanity.. Big hugs, bonny lass.

6/27/2007 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn@ZelleBlog said...

Very interesting. I think college has changed, some have almost half "adult learner/commuter" enrollment these days. Many people of all ages going.

People can learn alot on their own, too.

Nice to get to know you, Mary.

6/27/2007 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

not bored AT ALL!

:-D

6/27/2007 07:02:00 PM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

dear mary,

great post! thanks for writing about Michael. i always think of you now when i see a mosaic, we have some great ones here in so cal.

peace, peter

6/27/2007 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Alas Mary, having a son or loved in the military - is always going to be hard - whether one feels the war is justified or not.

Srunned yesterday to hear the uk ambassador to the US speaking on Blair's departure, admit
That there cannot be a military solution to Iraq, that the solution has to be diplomatic, and include all parties, as well as all neighbours in the region.

Mind you as ambassador, one would expect him to talk diplomacy. But I think all too often in the last 60 years the leaders of Britain and the US, have felt that as commanders and chiefs, they must be involved in wars.

When is the last time a German leader suggested Germany invade a country, whether for the good of the german people or for peace and stability in the 'region'

When is the last time an Italian leader suggested Rome invade a country, whether for the good of Romans, or as a pretext for peace and stability in the 'region'

What would the US say if China invaded an oil producing country under the pretext of peace & stability in the region.

Incidentally a Country that does not border China or the USA

6/28/2007 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Boring? Hardly! You are an interesting and thoughtful woman.

6/28/2007 03:57:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I enjoyed that!

6/28/2007 06:45:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Wonderful answers to great questions. I think about Micheal too Mary, and hope he'll be home with you soon, safe and sound.

I think I'd like to live in NYC too. Something to do 24/7.

6/28/2007 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Just me- I hope so too. Thank you for all the support you give me.
When I get that place in NYC I'll give you a ring.

Carla- Why thank you. Learn anything about me?

Gary- Well I like being called interesting and thoughtful!

Alice- You are the best.

Lynn- I think about going all the time. I am a great self learner but I think I could really gain alot. I should at least take SOME classes.

Carole- Dan is a special, special find.
As for my sanity, I just keep busy and drink martinis.



Quasar- I agree. I think you said it best when you said
"I still say if one side took a stand, and said NO MORE WARS, they'd win the day!

Just on that One issue.
Then we could really debate all the other internal & social issues.


Peter- I would love to see some pictures of them!

6/28/2007 07:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters