Monday, June 18, 2007

Pool Nightmare

Okay. Here's my story. It seems small compared to other of life's problems but it ranked as a bad day at the time.

We have an above ground pool. Something like 8 feet round and 4 deep. I think it is ugly but it was nice to have for the kids. There didn't seem to be much interest in it last year and it is alot of work for me to keep the water clear. Every winter no matter how you secure the cover the pool gets filled w/all kinds of crap and its a pain to clean out. I wasn't planning on opening it this year and in fact told John we should get rid of it. But Lisa voices that she wants the pool opened and that her and her friends would definitely use it.

We completely drain the pool (rent a pump)rather than clean the water w/the filter. We then order a tank of water to be delivered for $210. Meanwhile I clean up the filter and set that all up. Get all my starter up supplies for another $150. The water is delivered on a COLD Friday morning and I am the only one home. The man filling the pool comments on how cold the water is and I agree. He leaves. The delivery truck only holds 6000 gallons of water and I need a little bit more to fill the pool up in order to turn on the filter. I stick the hose in and go in.

Later I check. The pool is losing water at an alarming rate. When I look for the source of this leak I see a half dollar size hole in the floor of the pool. There is no one around but me to save the day. I am going to actually have to get in that pool and go to the floor of it to fix this on a COLD ASS DAY IN FREEZING COLD WATER. Where the hell is that child of mine with the wetsuit when I need him?! I have pool patch kits and I grab one and get in. This would be the point when I let out my first AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh! of the day. I am instantly shaking like a leaf. The water was so cold that when I went under my best plans went to shit and all I manage to do wash stuff a wad of the patch material in the hole. I could not force myself to go under again. I had however slowed the leak from gushing to a slow, slow leak.

Finally after many frantic phone calls (okay hysterical, I was hysterical) wetsuit boy and pool wanting girl arrive home. Wetsuit on, Johnny manages to stay under for so long I am amazed. He properly applies the patch after many dives under and saves the day. I think. Later when I had the pool to the level I wanted I plug in the filter and...it doesn't work. I walk away. Defeated. I can see now that the pool is still leaking a very small amount. I am losing about an inch a day. So a new filter, a new liner and another load of water would be what we would need to get it running. As my friend said, "Well Lisa get in and start swimming. Don't stop until the water runs out." I say how about an in ground pool. At least then I'd be doing all that work for something that looks good.

19 Comments:

Blogger Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Gee, I'm gonna' stop feeling envious of all you pool-owning folks, I had no idea about the maintenance. The only pools over here are indoors, and you need to have a seriously healthy wallet for one of those..

I think you're a far better mum than me, I would've pointed them in the direction of the nearest public swimming baths (fortunatley, mine is right at the bottom of our street). Well, at least they know you tried, eh?

6/18/2007 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger JM said...

That pretty much takes the "fun" out of backyard fun. Maybe you could just sneak in a neighbors pool while they are away.

6/18/2007 09:41:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Carol and JM- I mean it's not like we don't have a freaking ocean right down the road. And its free.

6/18/2007 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Mariamariacuchita said...

Yikes, I hate those kinds of days...and don't EVER make me get into freezing water!!

6/18/2007 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
I so feel your pain. We have a pool club across the street from my house. Just a pool on the roof but it was enough for the kids. Well all I can say is it's Monday and things have too get better right. Thanks for the comment but originally I thought the cat to be Big Pussy but Ade made more sense. I have no life. Love ya

6/18/2007 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

That must be freeeezing cold in there - I cant imagine it! The water in our condo pool is always cold (I guess compared to your water and the weather there, it's not as bad, but still!) and I hated it, even though the boys have no problem with it...
What about a heated swimming pool then? ;-)

6/18/2007 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

You have to love it!

We had an inground pool and started to do everything ourselves, it was that easy. But, the cost, in contrast to use, didn't make it worth opening our last year at the house.

Besides, some kids a few blocks away wanted to use it, we said no, and the next morning there was a box of laundry soap sitting in it.

We also had a basketball hoop, same problems but with older males. I took the hoop down!

6/18/2007 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger niCk (Mem Beth) said...

Nope! Never want a pool. All I hear about is about the problems people have with keeping them maintained. Is the cost and stress worth a couple of hours of fun relaxation a couple of days in the summer? Not if the beach is right down the road, and the public and private clubs pools are do all the work for you.

6/18/2007 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Babzy said...

Your description of the icy cold water was so vivid I had to put on a sweater and some woolly socks.

6/18/2007 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Maria- I was seriously giving it my best and still I was defeated immediately in that water.

Dawn- Stop. You have a very busy, full life. I can't keep up w/you! ONce you said that about the cat and the picture it made sense to me. I never get that stuff myself. I didn't even think of Big Pussy.

LaBellina, someday I will have an inground heated pool. Yup!

Coffee- That is shocking to hear about the soap and the neighbors. Now that would be a drag. People are so presumptuous.

Nick-It's true what you say. You only hear people tell you all the costs and problems. It's nice to have the pool in the summer when the crowds are thick and it takes so long just to get over the bridge to the ocean because of all the traffic. But it is only 3 mos of use.

Babzy- I changed in to a swim suit and then at the last minute put on some shorts and a tee as if it would help. I honestly couldn't catch my breath once I hit that water.

6/18/2007 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

YOur story was perfect for someone sitting here in the sweltering heat - cooled me right off. Our pool temperature is now 84 degrees - hot! Too bad we can't mix the two waters and come out just right.

6/18/2007 01:23:00 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Oh wow! I'm sorry.

6/18/2007 01:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Willowtree said...

No-one deserves a day like that. For all the money you're forking over, you could have sent the kids to Hawaii!

6/18/2007 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Peacechick- Seriously. Perfection is evading us right now.

Antonio- Thanks for caring.

Willowtree- Forget the kids! I'm going to Hawaii if I can do it for that price.

6/18/2007 09:30:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Mary, you definitely deserved to SCREAMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!

6/19/2007 04:09:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

You big sissy! Just plug the pool and get it over with! HAHAHAHA!

6/19/2007 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous earl said...

Mary, we've been in our house 3 years, everything about it was purfect, EXCEPT for a 20x40 above ground pool - but we took it anyway. This year it cost $500 to get it up and running and I'm counting every swim to find the cost/swim for the summer.

It's perfect for the grandkids, but too much trouble for grandma and granpa. We hope to take it out before next year. But your description was sooo real, reading about your cold-water swim will keep me cool for years.

6/19/2007 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Here is a BIG Hot Chocolate Hug to you....brrrrrr...No more Ice Cube Adventures for you ;-(


( I love the Hammock Photo above and the wonderful cards....oh, how I have missed coming here...)

6/20/2007 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Mary,
My friend Rick always says, "Ah, perfection, such an elusive quality."
You are one good mother to go through that. Lisa better join the Olympic swim team after all that.

6/23/2007 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters