Friday, August 31, 2007

Assateague

It's not easy when you take a vacation minutes from home. Hard to disconnect. John was 10 minutes from work. Another 10 and he could go pick up the mail at home. Last year I ran home almost everyday. Not this year. I stayed put from beginning to end. It was beautiful there. Beautiful is the one word I am choosing to describe Assateague Island. I love the beach there. Uncrowded, quiet, and clean. One of the best sides of the camping trip was seeing my son totally unplugged from games, computers, and his phone. He still had his phone but he didn't really use it. Instead he surfed, skateboarded, went boogie boarding, rode bikes, made a fire, and ATE, ATE, ATE.



My friends and I had 4 camp sites. On the first day by the time we got in and set up it was happy hour. John had run into our friendly neighborhood fisherman earlier that day and met him and his boat at the docks for some fresh lobster. You might not spot it but there is also some excellent salmon on that grill. Food was not something we lacked on this trip.



Joe "The Starman", led us in our nightly moonrise viewings up on the dune. We enjoyed a full moon every night, we were there for the lunar eclipse ( I missed it as I couldn't get up), and I might add we enjoyed a NE wind that I was told was saving us from being eaten by mosquito's. Well a NE and Joe's garlic spray saved us from the mosquito's.





While the adults were hanging out looking at the sky etc. Johnny and his buddy Spencer grabbed the camera and took off to take pictures of themselves doing a little skateboarding. They got some great shots.








If you are wondering why Spencer is wearing socks...earlier in the evening I saw them take off w/Johnny on a bike with a rope attached and Spencer holding the rope while on a skateboard. Barefoot. I knew it looked like trouble but I was chillin' and let it go. They were back in minutes with some bloody toes. But they simply washed them and put 1200 band aides on and socks. Back in business.

Mornings were pretty quiet. Everybody did their own thing. My thing was to go sit on the beach by myself for a couple hours and enjoy the quiet and READ!!! It's hard to read once everyone gets to the beach.



So here's how it went. Our days looked like this:









Sometimes this:




Evenings like this:



(Tuna steaks that time.)








(Stargazing lectures w/Joe)





(Johnny was always making up s'mores or JiffyPop)

The ponies weren't around during the day but came every evening. The first night they stood right by our campground for hours. Next evening one actually ripped open our screen tent where the coolers were and ate some oreos before John ran him off. We tried to keep food in our car but there was a box on the picnic table that night w/food in it. The ponies can open coolers too we were told.



One evening at least 8 of them came in single file through our camp at a fast pace and went right over the dune and onto the beach. I tried to grab my camera and get a shot but this is all I got. You can barely see them.



Once again though Johnny to the rescue. On the way out of the campground he got a shot of a pony for his mom. He's quite the photographer.

33 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

Looks like a great time, but all those pictures of food are making me hungry! Perhaps you should have purchased those small bottles of Rolling Rock, in case the ponies opened your cooler.

8/31/2007 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

JM- You mean ponies for the ponies?

8/31/2007 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

What an amazing time you must've had, Mary! All those lobsters! Wow. And great fun for all.
Beautiful!

8/31/2007 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger Babzy said...

Hi Mary, what a fantastic post. The photos are great. All I can think about now is lobster and salmon. YUUUUUUMMMMMMYYYYY

8/31/2007 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cream- you would have fit right in.

Babzy- The food was awesome I must say.

8/31/2007 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Mary, I have to formally charge you with abuse of Old Guys.:)

My very SOUL for some of that lobster! **Sob!**

8/31/2007 04:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Willowtree said...

Seems like you have a lot to be grateful for (looks like a great life to me). Now if you just got all your family safely onto home soil we could all relax.

8/31/2007 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I want to do that! That looks like the best time - so jealous.

8/31/2007 06:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

TUA- We are VERY lucky to have such a generous friend. We know it too.

WT- I have to agree w/you. I don't have much to complain about if I could just have Michael home.

Carla- You are so there next year! Bring your kayak. Or we could rent them bayside.

8/31/2007 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Looks lke a lot of fun Mary!

9/01/2007 05:03:00 AM  
Blogger Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I swear that boy of yours gets more handsome with each photo. Oh Mary, you are so fortunate, my friend, to have such a wonderful bunch of buddies - and I could almost SMELL the grill from where I sat. Lucky, luck folk!

9/01/2007 05:54:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Damn Mary, ya'll have some fun! My musician/artist/teacher friends would have one or two "dune-ers" in SF or Marin County every year. This post has me missing them today! ; (

Thanks for sharing the pics! ; )

9/01/2007 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hols ten mins from home?
Food glorious food, can beat a good ol' charcoal barbecue

9/01/2007 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

La Bella- It was!

SWS- I know, I know.

CM- Go back to them!

Quasar- Yes 10 mins. Can't beat it really. I mean if the weather is awful it's not so bad. Go home.

9/01/2007 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN!

9/01/2007 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Great pics, Mary! That lobster has this poor TomCat drooling!

Congrats on doing it again!!

9/01/2007 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

dear mary, i am so hungry! peace, peter

9/01/2007 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Oceanshaman said...

So cool in so many ways, particularly on this beautiful Saturday in the Pines . . .

Looks like good times, Mary . . .

Keep on smilin' . . .

9/01/2007 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

What a great time! The water looks wonderful too!

I'd never heard that ponies open coolers. We worry about bears - they're good at opening coolers - but no ponies. I'd rather deal with ponies.

9/01/2007 07:49:00 PM  
Anonymous JollyRoger said...

I often go here. It's only 3 and a half hours from my front door, but it's a world away.

If you've never seen the sun set on Lake Erie, you're missing one of the most amazing things you'll ever see.

9/02/2007 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Oh Mary, it is soooo funny you this summer have really made my summer, you keep blogging on some of my favorite things, Ocean City, Surfing, and Harpers Ferry, and NOW sigh...Asategeaue..( which I can not spelll)..I love it there...it always reminds me of the summer of 42 movie- it is soooo quiet...and lovely....and the ponies...and the Quiet...sigh...thank you sooo much...love seeing one of my favorite places...( if you blog Sanibel at some point I am going to just roll on the floor laughing..)

(I got dry finally....and Son's room loooks soo good...so I have recovered...thanks for your kind offer;-)

9/02/2007 01:07:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9/02/2007 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Antonio- That pony picture is for you.

Tomcat-Thanks. Sorry 'bout the drool.

Peter- Eat! Eat!

Oceanshaman-What a beautiful Saturday! And today as well! Makes the coming home easier. (Yet I can't help but think how lovely it is on Assateague today and might go for the day.)

Hayden- I would so much rather deal w/ponies than bears for sure!

E4E- Guess what? I did blog on Sanibel in May or June...just a minute...HERE
it is! It just so happens we were able to spend a quick couple of days there between attending a wedding and looking at colleges. So get on the floor girl!

So glad everything got cleaned up. Now enjoy those pancakes.

9/02/2007 07:56:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

I remember the trip you made last year. Looks like a lot of fun.

9/02/2007 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

That's OK, Mary. I've virtually forgotten what lobster tastes like. The one thing I miss about the East Coast is the seafood.

9/02/2007 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Looks like a wonderful time! I can't imagine getting my son away from his video games, computers and cell phone.

9/02/2007 07:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Ahhh Vacation! Great photographs!

9/02/2007 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Donnie- I am getting repetitive aren't I?

Tomcat- I would miss it as well.

Gretchen-I think they secretly love it.

Ole Blue- Thanks. I do try.

9/03/2007 09:07:00 AM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

You always seem to have the greatest times Mary! Good for you!I can't wait to go home and reconnect again!

9/03/2007 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

WOW mary! I too am hungry, one minute ago I was reading about clam fritters, now seeing these pics! Definately buying some fish tomorrow as I have to visit Whitby a local port.

9/04/2007 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger Chewy said...

Great vacation shots! I would've enjoyed listening to Joe "The Starman".

Clam Fritters are balls of fried dough with clam bits inside.

9/04/2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Me too on the Lobster fest! Looks like a very fun time for all!

9/05/2007 05:15:00 AM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

I have been there and seen the ponies. It truly is beautiful. Wish I could've been there...

d.

9/11/2007 12:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters