Monday, August 20, 2007

Baby bunnies and Dickie Betts!

First let me just say I've discovered a different kind of spider and this one creeps me out just as much as the other. Possibly more as it is larger.



That is a very old soccer ball. Probably left over from the days of Michael. He was our soccer player. His High School team won the state championship when Michael was a senior. Ooops! Sidetracked. You can click on the picture to look closer if you want. Gross.



Yesterday I had to make a run to Salisbury. I hate the drive there for some reason it is so boring to me. Plus it was Sunday so I was caught in the traffic of everyone leaving the beach. My phone rings and it's Johnny. He says I am not going to believe what happened. Oh shit. I steele myself ready for the worst. He then tells me how he went to move his lacrosse goal and all these furry little things start taking off from under it. He wasn't sure what they were at first but soon discovered they were baby bunnies. They had a little nest dug in the ground in the V of his goal. One stayed in the hole and the rest went in different directions. When I got home he showed me one little baby hiding in a clump of flowers. That was the only one Johnny could find. I moved it back to it's hole with its sibling. I covered my hands so I wouldn't but my scent on it.



Earlier this summer I would see the mother every early evening hanging around the goal feeding on the grass. Smart place to put a nest as it is very close by the garden. I hope the mother finds the others. I googled it as I was concerned that the mother wouldn't come back and I found this:

If you just happened to stumble on a nest, you need to understand that nursing wild mother cottontails only feed their babies during the night and for a few minutes in the early morning hours. That is the only time you will see the mother at the nest. So you might falsely assume that the mother is neglecting her litter or that she has completely abandoned them when these babies are actually in no danger.

It rained all night and I was worried. (I can't freaking help myself!) This morning when I checked on them here is how the scene looked.




One bunny getting some air and one in the hole. Seems okay. I'll let nature take it's course. Meanwhile no using the goal.

Tonight I am going to see Dickie Betts! I am so excited. I'm a huge fan of the Allmand Brothers Band
of which Dickie Betts is a founder.

25 Comments:

Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Oh my, you do get a lot of spiders...am fascinated by the design on that spider's body on the soccer ball!

8/20/2007 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Babzy said...

That is the ugliest spider I've ever seen.

Bunnies are cute, though.

8/20/2007 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger JM said...

Dear God, I'd be calling the realtor and getting ready to move if I ever discovered a spider looking like that. Enjoy the concert!

8/20/2007 03:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The spider looks like an orb web weaver. Very harmless. Their webs are engineering marvels. It's the time of the year that they start getting ready to form their egg sacks for next year. It's fascinating to watch, if you leave them undisturbed. The egg sack is sometimes as large as a ping-pong ball. The adult will "go away" after the egg sack is formed. Next spring, lots of little spiders will emerge and be moved along by the wind, just like Charlotte's children in E.B. White's Charlotte's Web.

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb-weaver_spider

8/20/2007 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
that is one of the scariest looking spiders, I'm glad we don't have them. You know you are a sucker just like me, one winter I found a pigeons nest on my terrace. I didn't have the heart to throw the bird out and had to sit thru months of the birds growing up. I have to tell you baby pigeons are extremly ugly. Eventually they grew and Then I screened in my terrace. Have fun at the concert.

8/20/2007 04:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Willowtree said...

That's a cool looking spider.

I'm a huge Allman Bros fan too. Are you going to see Dickie Betts and Great Southern? They are a really good outfit, I had their first album and it was one of my favourites until it got lost in a move. I'm jealous.

8/20/2007 06:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

La bellina- Fascination isn't exactly the word I'd use.

Babzy- Ying/yang

JM- You crack me up as usual. I will enjoy thank you.

Anonymous- Thanks for that link. Very informative. I see all my spiders. Still doesn't make me love them though I did enjoy Charlotte.

Dawn- I'm just glad we didn't mow them over w/lawn mower. How horrible.

WT- That's who it is. I can't even believe they are playing such a small (v. small) venue! Can't wait. I will give you a report.

8/20/2007 06:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I see "Everybody's Mom" is still hard at it!:)

Those spiders.....yuck!! We always have a bumper crop, including tarantulas. I don't bother to ask them what they are. If they're on my porch, they're flat, is what they are!

8/20/2007 08:06:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

That is one VERY big spider.

Don't let it eat the bunnies.

8/20/2007 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/20/2007 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

I enjoy your "Wild Kingdom" posts.

8/20/2007 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

this is wonderful...and we have the drama of the creepy hopefully harmless spider and the bunnies...sigh...lovely...

8/21/2007 02:00:00 AM  
Blogger niCk (Mem Beth) said...

Cool Spider! I love the intricate webs the big spiders weave outside by my patio. I love to watch them work and catch bugs.

Enjoy the concert.....

8/21/2007 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

I had spider dreams last night! Yuck!

8/21/2007 01:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Lynn said...

Wow I am both freaked out by and fascinated by spiders. I like to watch them but would not want them...on me. I guess thats the difference!

Love your sauce pics. (below) I have been canning blueberries, I mostly do fruits.

8/21/2007 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

As long as it's not on my body anywhere, that's one beauty of a spider!

The worst ones I ever encountered were in Kassala Sudan and they hung out around the outhouse. No toilet, just a hole in the ground and as I'm squatting, a jumping spider the size of a small hand comes under the door and disappears into the hole beneath me.

Okay, sorry if I've freaked you out. Nothing bad happened... well maybe some recurring dreams.

8/21/2007 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Mary, Anon correctly identified your spider. There are only two common spiders in the US that are really dangerous are the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse.

If I liked hassenpfeffer, I'd be on my way!! ;-)

8/21/2007 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

TUA- I know bunnies now. God help me. You are kidding about the trantula's right?

Peter- Too big. I don't know how the bunnies survive w/things like that out there.

Antonio- Well I guess so seeing as you were the farmer in the dell last week.

E4E- Officially harmless now. STill creepy.

Nick- I have a brother like you. And he takes endless pictures of them. I try to like them. But they creep me out.

Krissy- That's the worst!

Lynn- I've never canned fruit just veggies. My mom used to do it all though.

Gary- Well that would have been that for me! And jumping! Talk about bad dreams.

Tomcat-Good to know. So if it bites me I'm okay?
Funny I had the same thought about dinner being right in the yard if I get desperate.

8/21/2007 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger Earl said...

DICK HAS THE ANSWER HE KNOWS THE TRUTH LIFE IS HEINOUS.

8/21/2007 07:53:00 PM  
Blogger Tuyet said...

Wow, is there a thing as "too much" nature? :-)

8/21/2007 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Mary, I think you're ready for your own nature channel...

8/22/2007 06:01:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Earl- Somedays I would have to agree with you but most days I stomp on that notion and give it everything I got to have a happy day.

Tuyet- When it comes to spiders there is!

Cream-Ha! Yes.

8/22/2007 08:37:00 AM  
Anonymous fairlane said...

It looks like a garden spider. They're harmless.

If you can find her in her web, touch the web with a stick. A lot of times they'll bounce the web when they feel threatened to disorient predators.

And if you throw one on a passing Wingnut they've been known to induce cardiac arrest through extreme creep out.

8/26/2007 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I was just in Flordia and no kidding I saw two spiders that looked just like that as big as your hand just sitting in thier webs. I made a large path around them.

8/30/2007 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Fairlane- It's nice to know there harmless. I truely wish I could get over being creeped out by them.

Brandon- Just got home from camping and there was a new HUGEEEEE one in a web waiting for me. Yeah, very large path around that one.

8/30/2007 01:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters