Monday, August 13, 2007

More surfing...


The American Cancer Society Relay for Life Maryland State Surfing Championships were this weekend in OC. Johnny decided to sit this one out. He doesn't feel confident enough to enter. Though I try to stress just entering and having fun he wants to do really well or not do it at all. Who can blame him? You don't see my ass out there. Whether you enter or not it's still a great weekend and a great community of people. I brought my camera but this time Johnny asked to use it. I believe he caught the photography bug because I couldn't get it out of his hands either day. So I will be telling my story w/his pictures this time.

The first day was sometimes overcast and cool enough to where most of the day you weren't down to swimsuits. But the photos of the day don't reflect that.




In between heats the kids are playing around or doing some boogie boarding. They block off a block or so for the contest. This is OC in August so I'm sure that pisses off more than a few visitors. If the kids want to get in the water they have to walk down out of the contest area. It was incredibly crowded down there. I got in the water a couple times and it was all I could do to just get wet. A million body surfers and boogie boarders coming at me w/every wave. No room to swim.




Once the guards were off duty at 5:30 their stands made a great place to watch the heats and take photos. I stole the camera briefly to snap a couple of Johnny and friends.









At one point they gave out long stemmed roses and everyone paddled out on their surfboards with their roses in honor of someone who had cancer. Johnny took one for his Aunt Lisa (John sister and my friend from Jr. High and High School)kissed it and sent it on it's way in remembrance of her. Very nice.


Second day started bright, hot and early to the sound of bagpipes. Huh?






Took me a minute to realize they were getting ready to have a wedding down the beach. I personally can't think of a worse place. A beach is fine but not this crowded one and not in hot, hot, August. But then I got married in a courthouse.





Johnny was superb with the camera. He got tons of great shots of his friends boogie boarding and surfing. By the end of the 2ND day I was cooked. It was hot, hot, hot on that beach. I keep piling on the sunscreen but it seems to have done me no good. John joined us in the afternoon. I seriously have to break him of this work thing. It was a great event. Wonderful to have the kids all out with their families.

24 Comments:

Blogger dawn said...

It sounds fantastic Mary, I wish it wasn't such a hassle to get to a decent beach here. It takes a good 2 hours to get to Jones beach from here Oh well I'll just live thru you. Have a great day

8/13/2007 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Another great day - and the photos ar fantastic!

8/13/2007 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Great Beach Boys... and Girls!!!

A wedding on the beach! Did they toast with Sex on the Beach (Cocktails)?

8/14/2007 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Sornie said...

Great set of pics. I didn't know that Relay For Life had anything to do with surfing but I'm just a landlocked guy in MN.

By the way, I tagged you, give the meme a try!

8/14/2007 08:12:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Great photos, and looks like a lot of fun.

8/14/2007 08:34:00 AM  
Blogger Rebel Reaper said...

Fun at the beach, and a wedding? That is just so wrong on so many levels. They might as well have performed a funeral. Both amount to the same thing. Beaches are supposed to be fun after all.

8/14/2007 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Those are just like the waves I grew up with, Mary. He did a good job with that camera.

After several years living in CO and AZ, I arrived in Oregon, headed for the beach, and hit the water at a dead run. Big mistake!

You did something of note at my place. Stop bye to find out what. :-)

8/14/2007 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

That looks blissful indeed.

8/14/2007 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dawn-Leave early, stay late and pack a lot of food. Worth it.

La Bella- Johnny really did a good job w/photos. A few times I was frustrated to miss a shot I saw but i am always happy when the kids take a crack at something creative.

Cream- Kind of early for a SOB but hey its a wedding!

Sornie- Well there really wasn't any relay about it. Just donations.

JustMe- It was fun. I need FUN. I think I'm hitting the wall on worry.

Rebel- Now, now. Marriage isn't that bad. Not always anyway. I mean, have you ever tried it?

Tomcat- Was it a mistake because the waves were way bigger than what we are used to?
And hey, thanks for recognizing my accomplishment. It really took some precise timing.

Nick- It really was. Wish you could have been there to enjoy it. I am seriously considering trying the surfing. Something about it really gets to me. I'm sure it is just as awesome as they make it seem to be.

8/14/2007 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ooooh, cool photo's! You're in danger of being called a beach-bum ya' know..

Off topic; just read your very restrained answer to bbc's spew - I've been trying very hard myself not to rise to the shite he's been leaving on my own blog. I don't think I'm going to hold back anymore, I always knew he was insane, now he's only gone and proved it. You really shouldn't need to deal with such an arse, ignore him hon, you are worth a million of him. ((x))

8/14/2007 05:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

SWS- I aspire to be one!

He's quite easy to ignore. I see his looney-ass comments on everyone's blogs. I see who he is.
Thank you and SO glad your back!

8/14/2007 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Bagpipes, surfing, family and a beach all at once. Does it get better! (Speaking as one with Scot blood...)

8/15/2007 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Oceanshaman said...

Nice pics all the way around . . . saw my buddy Ashton, doing a little longboard ballet . . .

Ooh, how I wish to be in the water this second . . .

Patience . . . patience . . . patience . . . patience . . .

8/15/2007 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

8/15/2007 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Oh my dear Mary, don't get Reb started on the ex, PLEASE! She was a freaking nut. My fav saying from him, to her, was:

"I'm gonna divorce you, and you will hate me for it. You will be mean to me, and act like you hate me. But when I tell you to go to hell after you try to get back with me, I won't be acting. BTW, I humped your sister! Well, not really, but you will wonder now."

It was an absolute work of art Mary. Her sister helped out with the affair and covered for her, and he caused her not to testify. The ex accused her, and they stopped talking. He never strayed, but with one sentence, he took any power she thought she had and made her bow down.

Anyone else would try to show how they were faithful, but he admitted to something he didn't do, and used her cheating to slam her. It was a major mind game, and the unknown soldier whipped them all. He's a master, and if you have seen his post, you know his stuff is researched big time! The guy is a master of history.

BTW, he has offered to help send some stuff to Michael. The Reb has adopted him. Michael is in good company now.

8/15/2007 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Mary, you're certainly welcome.

Well, on the east coast you have the warm Gulf Stream flowing up the coast from the south. Here in Oregon, we have the Alaska Current flowing down from the north, and that water is cold enough to freeze the ... never mind. :-)

8/15/2007 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Mary,
Sun Sea & Surf, love it
But getting woken up by sandpipes on the beach? - Only in America

8/15/2007 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Mind you that is one sound which is sure to get everyone up whether the piper can play the bagpipes or not

8/15/2007 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Mariamariacuchita said...

They grow up so fast...lovely pictures.

8/15/2007 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Gary- I'm sure I could come up w/something but it was pretty damn good.

Oceanshaman- Yes that him alright. He won 1st place in a couple things. You're almost there. Hang on.

Hi Gretchen- It really was. I'm lucky to be so close to the ocean.

Donnie- Tell Reb that you are a much better chooser the second time around.
And thank you for looking after Michael. That is so generous and kind of you.

Tomcat- See I would have done the same as you then. I thought it was warmer there. Duh.

Quasar- Only in America for sure! Most of us thought it was someones cell phone at first.

8/15/2007 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Mariamaria- Yes they do. People always said so to me when they were younger but I didn't seem to beleive them at the time.

8/15/2007 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

To Aunt Lisa.

8/15/2007 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

so nice....lovely...and the rose part for the Aunt- that is so nice...now the wedding on the beach, nice, but too hot and the bagpipes that is sweet ( but a kilt in the heat&sand - yikes)

8/16/2007 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

So did I, Mary! :-(

8/17/2007 03:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters