Sunday, August 05, 2007

Soldier Up

Some of you know or have visited a soldier friend of mine, Randy HERE
at The Kernals are Poppin. I was glad to find an email from him last night when I came home. I will share it with you and then I URGE you to read THIS post by TUA. He also has word from Randy. We do need to do what little we can for our soldiers.

Its so good to hear from you ... Sorry I havent been able to email you
back sooner but its been crazy busy. If its not one thing its another.
I sure am ready to head home ... But the bad part is it wont be until
the end of dec ... So I think we still have like 150 days left or
something crazy ... It just seems like everyday is a Monday ... After
being here for 10 months we are all starting to wear on each other so
tensions are starting to climb ... Its to be expected though ... Tell
your son to stay strong and it will be over soon ... I hope that he gets
to spend some time at home when his rotation heads back ... They say
that the unit replacing us has orders for 15 months and could be
extended to 18 ... And they arent even here yet ... Its crazy ... I just
hope and pray that I can transfer close to home and ride out my contract
and get out ... I don't know if I could take another year and a half
over here ... It just seems like a lot of important stuff is going on
back home and I am missing it all ... But like my mom says ... Come home
safe and you can make up for lost time ... :) ... Thank you for doing
all that you can do ... Please post on your blog that I said hello and
thank you to everyone ... I don't have internet in my room anymore due
to it being almost $70 and it only works when it wants too ... Again I
cant say it enough ... Thank you!!!


He's thanking me? It breaks my heart to read this and I hear the exact same from my son and the soldiers he's with.

TUA says in part in his post, and I wholeheartedly agree...

We've been sending emails and signing petitions for everything else; send one more short one that simply says "I care and you are NOT forgotten." It'll go directly to a pair of boots on the hot sand....not some stupid son of a bitch in an air conditioned office that could care less about those boots!! He prefers to be called Randy, here's his email: randall.barletta@iraq.centcom.mil, now get with it! Please.:

20 Comments:

Anonymous JollyRoger said...

I buy them magazine subscriptions-and wonder how censored the finished product is when they get it.

I figured it might mean a little more to someone in Iraq than one of those stupid yellow magnets.

8/05/2007 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I just can't imagine how any of our soldiers are tolerating the stupidity of this war and the intense heat they are suffering. I've copied his e-mail and will send something along.

Also, I had to highlight the blue print to see it on the black background so some might not think of that and be unable to read Randy's letter.

Thanks, Mary

8/05/2007 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Many in the Military are blind to what is going on in politics because of the little song of patriotism plating inside to their heads.

It is good to hear that some soldiers thin and others help to take care of soldiers.

8/05/2007 05:53:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

I really hope that they're able to come home soon. May they stay strong.

8/05/2007 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

It's helpful they have internet access at some point to keep in touch. I'm sure most realize no one thinks ill of them, just the administration and their lack of common sense.

We ran into one of my sons friends parents yesterday. Her son will be going back to Iraq soon, for his 3rd tour, and it's already official for 1 1/2 yrs! ; (

What madness! ; (

8/06/2007 06:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Jollyroger- Good idea. I know they appreciate it.

Mary- I know that this extension has really been tough on them. I can't imagine how it will be for the ones who have to go 18 mos.
(thanks for the heads up. I hope its easier to read now.)

Ole Blue- I think alot of them are have their eyes opened now

La Bellina- It doens't seem hopeful to me.

CM- That is really upsetting.

8/06/2007 09:25:00 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Looks like I have some emailing to do. One goes to you Mary. I got a plan. Expect it soon.

8/06/2007 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

dear mary, thank you! if you guys read this: "I care and you are NOT forgotten." peace, peter

8/06/2007 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Mary - we gotta have faith!

8/07/2007 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

Announcing the first annual Blog World Report Awards. Please drop by today and make your nominations in six categories. Thanks!

8/07/2007 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn@ZelleBlog said...

I hope they understand that we are not angry at them for going, we are angry that that they were sent. I cant imagine what it must be like there now. What must go through their minds.

Nice to check in on you, Mary. Your caring is very inspiring.

8/07/2007 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

It's all so crazy! I feel very sad!

8/08/2007 05:31:00 AM  
Blogger supergirlest said...

i see i have an email to send. i also feel very sad. :(

8/08/2007 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

I already sent mune. :-)

8/08/2007 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm sorry hon, but like Einstein I can't support anyone that is stupid enough to fight others wars for them. I would go to the brig first, or get out of the country.

And all your work has gotten you nowhere. It will get you nowhere for as long as Bush can sucker troops into going there.

I blame women for this as much as anything, if they would just flat tell their husbands, sons, and daughters that they couldn't go fight a war then there wouldn't be anyone to fight that war.

Women actually stopped a war that way many years ago.

Besides, they can't toss everyone that refuses to fight in jail. And even if they could, it's a lot safer and more comfortable place to be. Just saying.

Believe me, I would go to jail before I would fight that mans war.

8/08/2007 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Donnie :-)

Peter- Thanks

La Bella- You are right.

Lynn- Thanks. I think most of them know that.

Cream- Me too. I can't shake it.

Supergirlest- You're the best.

Tomcat- Yeah!

BBC- I don't know if you raised any children but they do have their own free will. Of course I told him not to do it. Unfortunately my son hadn't made it to Einstein status at the age of 18 and he made the decision to join.

8/09/2007 08:11:00 AM  
Anonymous The Fugitive. said...

Beginning in the fifties, and through into the sixties and seventies , it was the intellectuals and the youth of America that stopped the war machine.
Dispelled by songsters such as Bob Dylan, Country Joe; America had heroes, the "wasp" establishment was attacked by fearless orators such as Martin Luther, confronted by brave women, Rosetta Parks, Joan Baez, and thousands more...

Abbie Hoffman, Ken Keesey, Jane Fonda, and the millions of "Hippies", the draft dodgers, the deserters, the refusers, the marchers, even the extremists such as the weathermen and the yippies, they made a lot more sense than Johnson or Kissinger, and their corporate supporters, with their genocidal policies of "defoliation" and "carpet bombing"
Sadly, three million Vietnamese people perished.
The war machine came back with a new plan, instead of bombing communists, they would bomb the terrorists.

Soon, the millionth Iraqui person will perish.



You and I, and most of the civilised world want this madness to stop.
Suggestions?

8/09/2007 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger DivaJood said...

Mary, as a mother, I know that the only thing we can do is raise our children and get out of the way as they wander into adult-hood. They do have minds of their own.

My own are grown, in their 30s, and never served in the military. My son-in-law's father was KIA in Viet Nam; he never knew him.

Your actions are not futile; and your son followed his own gut. I don't visit your blog often enough, and should put you on my blog roll, because you consistently act for peace and speak for peace, while your son is put in harms way. You are the change you wish to see in the world. As such, you are one of my heros.

8/09/2007 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Diva- I'm flattered. Really. You are too kind. Thank you for your words.

8/09/2007 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

I echo what Diva said...you are wonderful and an inspiration...have hope and faith...we will get them home...ALL OF THEM...

8/13/2007 03:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters