Thursday, August 02, 2007

Take me away

"I had a farm in Africa ..."
Not me. I have a couple acres on Marylands Eastern Shore. I love when the first line of a book makes me know I am going on an adventure. Somewhere I have never been. Isak Dinsen's Out of Africa is a memorable first line. Another is "Call me Ishmael." I'm sure a lot of you know what that first line is from. Or "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." (Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

It wasn't exactly the first sentence of the current book I'm reading but the first words from a characters mouth that got me this time.

He thought, "Time I get me a fence raised tomorrow, maybe 'twon't seem so wild, like."

It just got me excited. I knew I was about to take off somewhere unknown. I knew nothing of what this book was about. I had picked it up because I knew the author's other writings. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Cross Creek, The Yearling. A woman I have always admired because of her independent and fearless spirit. I am currently deep in the wilds of Florida with her, where the Ocklawah meets the St. John's River. ( Some day I'm going to visit the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Historic State Park.)

I was sitting on the beach totally engrossed in this book...

"You jest as good to put your 'baccy back in your pocket," she said, "for supper's that near done hit'll be to spit out and waste."
He said, "A short chaw's twicet as good as a long un."


I jumped when I heard a voice right over my shoulder tell me we needed to clear the beach as a big storm w/60mph winds was coming. I've never had a lifeguard come up to my spot and tell me to get off. (We cleared out but no storm that I saw. Too bad because we dearly need the rain.)


So besides working in the studio that is where I've disappeared to. The adventures of the imagination that a book takes you on. Better than anything on tv. A good way to recharge. Sick, sick, sick of the news. I'm feeling quiet. Not much to say. Nothing but beach and books for me. Not to mention a wicked ear infection I have from swimmers ear. Get them every summer. Hurts like hell. Went to the Dr. today as I have lost 2 nights sleep from the pain. He puts ear drops in my ear and then rubs my ear like you would a dogs after you put those drops in their ears. "Hey! Hey! Did you not get the part where I said it hurts so much it kept me up all night?" Jeezus. He gives me a perscription for drops and a $40 rebate coupon. I knew I was in trouble. Sure enough the damn scrip cost me $140! So does my ear feel better 9 hours later? Hell no! Don't they give out pain relief anymore? That would be worth 140.

I'm going back to the Florida scrub. Talk to you later.

17 Comments:

Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

While learning to use the SCUBA we were taught a technique to prevent swimmer's ear. First tilt head side to side to drain water. Then place a drop or two of a solution of 2:1 rubbing alcohol to vinegar in each ear canal. Evaporating quickly, the alcohol leaves the vinegar's acetic acid which acts as an antibacterial.

8/02/2007 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

call me ishmael..... YES! you and I feel the same pull of mysterious adventure.... Tolstoy, too! I'm always astonished at the number of folks who aren't interested in a return to gorgeous classics like these...

the other, felt-in-my-soul opening: the opening descriptions in Grapes of Wrath! sonorous, drenched in *place* -

8/02/2007 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

I would be engrossed too!

8/03/2007 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

As you know, good books have taken me on many an adventure. There absolutely is nothing better in this world!

Hope that swimmer's ear clears up for you. My wife gets it, too.

8/03/2007 01:16:00 AM  
Blogger Babzy said...

I agree with Yoga. Vinegar cures everything. And you most certainly have to tilt.

8/03/2007 01:54:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Words, printed words on a page
take our imagination for a ride
to far away places, far off lands

"I was sitting on the beach totally engrossed in this book...

I jumped when I heard a voice right over my shoulder tell me we needed to clear the beach as a big storm w/60mph winds was coming. I've never had a lifeguard come up to my spot and tell me to get off."


lol! I'm surprised you didn't tell the lifeguard where to get off.
"I'm a storm catcher, she replies"

8/03/2007 04:25:00 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

You're right there, Mary. So often, it's the first line in a book that grabs your attention. You just hope that the rest is just as grabbing.
Good luck with the expensive drops. How much is vinegar?

8/03/2007 04:48:00 AM  
Blogger ¿Yh8? said...

The majority of what TV has produces is based on HATE. It's no wonder the world is so depressed.

Studio's and literature have been around long before the "Boob Tube" invention, and they have produced centuries of productive solutions.

Not only is it therapeutic, but it's inspirational for those who view it! — KEEP doing what your doing!

8/03/2007 06:43:00 AM  
Blogger JM said...

There are far worse fates than beach and books; it sounded good until you got to the ear problem. Hope you feel better soon.

8/03/2007 07:11:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

A good book, sitting by the beach...My idea of a perfect day...thank you for taking me there...if only in my mind...

8/03/2007 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Sheesh, I'm glad you've got yourself a good book there - 'cos your health care system sure as hell ain't about to offer out any comfort! I'm amazed and outraged at the lack of government help for their citizens!! All medication is non-means tested and FREE up to 16 here, and then prescriptions are paid for by the tax-payer over a minimum charge of less than 8-10 dollars (five pounds). I don't know the exact amount, because having an underactive thyroid gland, all my prescriptions come automatically free for life (again, non-means tested).

I do hope your ear heals faster than your bank account, Mary! I'm speechless (all right, maybe not quite, but you get what I mean..)

8/03/2007 08:42:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

I have been reading alot this summer too but I do all year round on my commute. As you know I got thru my latest Janet Evanovich and then Step on a crack by J Patterson. I am almost finished reading a book called"Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I am going to post on this book next week. all I can say Mary you must read this womans story. Have a great weekend!!!!!!!!

8/03/2007 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Yep, Yoga's Rx works beautifully. I keep a bottle of it in the bath for use after swimming and showers. That is painful. As for Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (your link does't work) I'll meet you there at Cross Creek and we can get us some Cooter Soup. I dream of her house being my house, only with AC. Have you ever seen the movie, Cross Creek? It's pretty good and gives a hint of Marjorie's character - independent and quite a drinker. Take care.

8/03/2007 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Yoga- After years of going to DR for this they just gave me that very recipe. Thanks. I will be faithful to it.


Hayden- I so admire those who can write well. Wish I could do it. Meanwhile I will just worship it.

La Bellina- I know you have your own reading list going on. Read on.

TUA- I so agree.
Pass that recipe on to your wife if she doesn't already have it.

Babzy- Tilt and Vinegar. Got it.

Quasar- As much as I would have preferred to stay where I was I didn't want to get caught in a storm. Sigh.

Cream- I've learned my lesson. I will use preventative measures from now on. If I ever complain you all may scold me.

Yh8?- Thanks. I will. And you too. I love those lunchbags and that positive 'tude.

JM- I finally am today, thank you.

SWS- LOL! It's shocking isn't it? No wonder I let go a couple days!

Dawn- You have a nice weekend too. I'm going tubing. That's what I will be posting on should I survive.

Peacechick- Thanks for telling me about link. Fixed. Yes I did see that movie and I loved it. I could do that life but like you I would prefer a little AC. So I'll meet you there then.

8/03/2007 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

There's nothing like getting lost in a good book. My son is the same way and reads constantly. He was reading Tolkien in 3rd grade.

I can't convince my daughter that books aren't evil torture devices meant as a punishment. :(

8/03/2007 07:16:00 PM  
Blogger ¿Yh8? said...

glad yeh like the lunch bags, starting to accumulate quite an army of'em. - hoping to be planting them throughout several cities and countries next "MayDay" '08. Along with stickers and lil messages against Hate. Will let you know the details as it gets closer to time.

8/05/2007 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

There's nothing like a good book for a brief escape from Bush world into a saner place.

8/08/2007 04:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters