Thursday, August 09, 2007

Tubing

This past weekend I went tubing at Harpers Ferry with most of my family (scary). Harpers Ferry is a National Park where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet. If you want a white water trip you go down the Potomac. If you want flat water then you go w/the Shenandoah. We were going for the white water. We all met at River Riders where we were renting the tubes. Only one(out of 15) of us had ever done this before so we really weren't certain what to expect. You get on a bus, they drop you off, tell you were they will pick you up and you're off!






On the site they tell you the whitewater is class I, II and III which means absolutely nothing to me. It was pretty much flat as there hasn't much rain and the river is low. There was still a current and it controlled me for the most part. It was hard to maneuver my tube. Plus I had 2 kids on the water. "Hotdog" Johnny and "Slowpoke Lisa". It was hard for me to relax at first. Once I realized Johnny was doing way better than me and John had Lisa I relaxed. You could stop on rocks at any point and just hang out.




John is giving the thumbs up and Lisa is chillin'. Lisa was slightly "heebed" (as in heebee-geebee's) by the river and all the things floating in it. Moss, fish etc. I often forget that my children grew up by the ocean and aren't used to other water. When I was kid we swam in lakes all the time. Anyway I asked her what the hell she thought was floating in the ocean?




Johnny and his cousin Steven where way ahead of us most of the trip. Stevens a competitive swimmer and Johnny, well I guess he's got that paddling power from surfing and boogie boarding. See those two orange tubes off in the distance behind this group shot? That would be Steven and Johnny. Johnny often came back for me. They both spent some time trying to teach me how to maneuver my tube.




You can see how beautiful it is there. Harpers Ferry is in W. Virginia. Anna has a waterproof camera in the picture above. My sister gave me a waterproof bag for mine and it worked just fine. Had to leave my cell in the car which I hated to do as fear missing a call from Michael. Naturally he did call which he does any time I put my phone down. John also had a missed call from him which made us feel bad but he called again the next day so I didn't have to feel guilty for too long. After tubing we were a short ride from Frederick. My oldest daughter works in a restaurant in Old Town Frederick and we went there for dinner. We were exhausted and the menu was tapas so I just had Taylor order everything. Good food.




We walked around town a little and there is was lots going on. Lisa and I came across this.




A tomato plant. Someone had even tied it to the street sign. It's a great little town with lots of cute shops, restaurants and bars but John and I had to hit the road as we had a long ride home. It was a great day and I recommend it to any one who has this kind of thing around them. Great way to spend a hot day and see your family at the same time. When one of your siblings start to get on your nerves you just float away. Just kidding. I really was glad to seem them all. And it was Carla's b-day. The baby of the family just turned 39!

33 Comments:

Blogger TomCat said...

Mary, that looks like a lot of fun, I've never tried that, but I'd like to. Glad you had a good time.

8/09/2007 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary it looks really nice I did something similar in Georgia. But I have to tell you when I was a teen and in Florida we went swimming in what they called a quarry. The thought of what I was stepping on or swimming around me grossed me out. I also didn't realize fish swam around your feet in the ocean until a few years ago. Never thought of it until I had the goggle on. Okay laugh bye

8/09/2007 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger DivaJood said...

Oh, LORDY, Mary that looks like fun. What a great day you musta had.

8/09/2007 01:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Glenda said...

What a wonderful, carefree fun day!!
I love reading your blog and looking at the pictures...feels like a window into your world.

To place value on a small struggling plant...beautiful!

8/09/2007 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Tomcat- You gotta try it!

Dawn- Your so funny. Just like my Lisa.

Diva- Glad the fun came across because it was.

Glenda- I just loved seeing that plant. It was a great ending.

8/09/2007 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Ohhhh, I love to do that. We go to a six mile run at the Ichnetucknee State Park. The water is very cold, clear and it lowers my stress level about 160%! We usually go as soon as the children are back in school so we can have the whole place in near solitude. Glad you could go. It was something to remember always.

8/09/2007 03:50:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I thought that was weed for a moment.

8/09/2007 04:17:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

It sounds like fun! Any chance of seeing you lot tubing on YouTube?
Happy Birthday to your sister.

8/09/2007 04:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Willowtree said...

That's great fun, I did something similar on the Truckee River. Happy Birthday top Carla.

8/09/2007 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

I always used to say - the worst day on the river is better than the best day off of the river. Looks like it was loads of fun!

8/09/2007 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

You just made me homesick! I used to do this all the time back in Michigan. It was so much fun!!

I want to thank you from the heart for your recent support. I deeply appreciate it, and I'm sure Randy will much more. You're an Angel, Mary! Thank You!!!!

8/10/2007 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger Lynn@ZelleBlog said...

Mary I love that plant!!!

I love tubing, too. I live on a lake and its a lot of fun.

Glad you are having such an action-packed summer!

8/10/2007 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

I just might, Mary.

Off topic... you have a surprise waiting at my place.

8/10/2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Mary,
looks like lotsa fun, water fun.
See Mermaid mural on my mind.

PS - Iwonder who gets to pick the tomatoes, or will they be for anyone who walkd by. You think?

8/10/2007 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger JM said...

I had no idea that you could "tube" on anything other than a lazy stream. The only tubing I've done recently has been on YouTube. Although I haven't been there for ages, l love the antique shops and restaurants found in Frederick; sounds like a great time.

8/10/2007 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Looks like a great day had by one and all. Mary...I'm so sorry your son is away...in you know where. You are a strong lady for your family. That tomato plant is symbolic of the struggle of the American people I think. It's growing out of nowhere and surviving...that's a good signal.

8/10/2007 05:06:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Peacechick- That sounds blissful. I will have to remember the part about going when the kids are in school.

Nick-I'm sure it would get somebody coming along and staking it up too if it were!

Cream- You never know!

WT- How about your little pond? You ever float around in that?

Hayden-Thats a great saying.

TUA- Can't you find a nice river around your place now?

Lynn- I don't know how action packed it is. I'm only posting the fun parts. That plant is so hopeful isn't it?

Tomcat- I love surprises!

Quasar- Loved the mural. Thanks for thinking of me.

JM- Your close enough. You could make a nice weekend out of it. It is a great little town.

Sumo- Thanks. You are so right about the plant!

8/11/2007 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

We west virginians love our tomatoes and grow them anywhere and everywhere is the actual truth.

Missed calls are a bitch.

I haven't been in the river in years. I love it. Around here, the jelly fish will eat you alive, if you go to the beach.

Glad you guys had such a good time.

8/11/2007 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Babzy said...

Mary you get into the wildest activities. What a fun fun day with your family.

What's in the ocean? Sharks, jellyfish, mermaids.

Until I read your caption, I thought that was a pot plant, too. But being from Vancouver area it wouldn't have surprised me. How sweet that it's a tomato plant. Love that.

8/11/2007 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Then I trust you liked that one, Mary. :-)

8/11/2007 03:20:00 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Mary, hon, your son is still your son, you created him, and I'm sure you didn't create him to fight wars for the rich and powerful. I don't care how old he is. I think that all women should take a switch to there men and children that want to fight.

Especially those that think they have to fight for someone else because those others think they should.

Screw Bush, tell that moron to go fight his own war, and take his daughters with him. But do you see that happening? Heck no, he wants your kids to do it for him while he and his hides in comfort. This is wrong in so many ways.

The Emperor has no brains, or guts.

8/11/2007 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Repeat after me. "I will allow my son to go to Iraq when G. W. Bush and his daughters go, and stand duty beside me."
Hugs.

8/11/2007 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger supergirlest said...

mary - these pics are great!!!! i haven't been tubing in YEARS! so much fun!!

bbc - what is the first thing that teenagers overwhelmingly do when told not to something? an 18 year old is an adult. think about what you're saying. a woman should resort to violence to end violence?

8/11/2007 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Great fun and am glad to hear Michael is doing well and continues to call you!

8/12/2007 05:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kvatch said...

I love the Harper's Ferry area. I remember it fondly from when the Frogette and I live in Virginia (91 - 96) and from when I was a kid (a year in DC in 76).

8/12/2007 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

A tomato plant in the sidewalk?! Wow!

I'm house sitting for a family who grows their own tomatoes in the back yard. Every year I look forward to house sitting for them because their tomatoes taste much better than anything I've ever bought in a store.

8/12/2007 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

It's been years since I went tubing. Glad to see you finally got the chance to experience it.

BBC, still being a prick to women I see. That insane babble was uncalled for. It was off topic and insensitive. You still suck!

8/12/2007 09:23:00 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Looks to be a fun day for the family! Never went tubing, but rafted down the New River when it was high.

I agree with Donnie; GWB doesn't have the stones to miss golf.

Carla's gift is waiting!

8/12/2007 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

LOL! Looks like a fun, enjoyable time was had by all!

Happy birthday Carla!

8/13/2007 01:34:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Oh I am sooooo glad that you shared this...I used to go tubing there in nursing school THE EXACT SAME PLACE...I LOVE HARPERS FERRY...IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES ON EARTH... sigh....there used to be a haunted inn there too....hmmmI can't remember the name ( I think it was The Hilltop Inn....I will have to look it up,...)oh just seeing this made me so happy.....thank you for sharing it....

8/13/2007 03:16:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Just Me- I don't care where you live you have to have a tomato plant don't you?

Babzy- The older I get the more I want to do.

Tomcat- I did indeed!

Supergirlest- I'm sorry I waited so long to try it.

CM- I am getting many more phone calls these days thank goodness.

Kvatch- It's a great area. I never really used it when I was in the DC area. Like a dumbass I wait until I'm 3 hours away to discover it. Oh well.

Antonio- Next year you better get a plant and plant it in a pot or a crack in the sidewalk because that store bought stuff isn't worth the money.

Donnie- Oh you missed the BBC BS from the last post. Whatever. Not worth my breath.

Yoga- Rafting sounds fun too. Esp. if the waters high.

La Bella- Good times.

E4E- I'm so happy you enjoyed that. I didn't get to explore the town. In fact they said we'd be tubing past it but I didn't see it. Maybe I wasn't looking.

8/13/2007 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

the town is kind of tacky and touristy...boring,,,,But there is this old inn that is very interesting...and haunted...I am going to have to remember it...darn...and yes, the town is small..you could easliy tube right past...

We used to go sit on the rocks above and look down...and also I think there were rules about tubing by the bridge...

8/14/2007 03:33:00 AM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

So much fun!!!

Looks very beautiful as well.

8/14/2007 10:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters