Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Infidel

I haven't had much time for blogging lately. My son finally got Internet with only 7 weeks left in Baghdad so most of my blogging time is taken up on IM. What little time there is. But that's the way it goes. Ebb and flow. I'm sure it will come back around.

I just finished reading INFIDEL BY Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I wonder if any of you have read it? The author tells her story raised in a traditional Muslim family. We follow her journey as she questions these teachings and finally overcomes them and becomes very outspoken about Islam which puts her in alot of danger. I am not good at giving a synopsis but I couldn't put it down. I found it to be a fascinating and courageous journey that she has taken.



Here is what the Washington Post and the New York Times had to say about her and the book.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Willowtree said...

I haven't read it, but I know of it through seeing a number of interviews with her.

Say hello to Michael for us. I just had to do a quick scan to make sure I had his name right (I knew it was Michael but I wanted to be sure). I was stunned to find that it was way back in February that he was home. I'm sure it seems like a long time to you but could have sworn it was just a couple of months ago!

The other thing I noticed as I was scanning past posts...you've had a very interesting Summer!!

10/17/2007 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

I know how relieved you are to be able to talk to Micheal now. What a marvelous thing. Hope these next 7 weeks fly by.

10/17/2007 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary I told you this book was riveting. I'm so glad you read it and had the same reaction. It's just amazing what this woman went thru. Everyone should be made to read this. This is the first honest account on islam that I 've read

10/17/2007 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Oh my god missed the first paragraph of your bost , you superwoman IM your heart out, I know the 7 weeks will go quick, all my love and prayers are with you

10/17/2007 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

My wife borrowed the book from a neighbor, and I borrowed it from her!:) I thought it was pretty good.

"Hmmmm. Do I IM with Michael...or do I post today?"

Like....DUH!!!!
:)

10/17/2007 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

well if he has internet..finally..then there is ONLY one thing to do ;-)

the book is great....and disturbing...she is beyond brave...it also gives some insights in Islam that I had never heard before...

10/18/2007 02:06:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

WT-

You should def get the book.

It has been a very long time since seeing Michael. Can not wait.

I try to keep it interesting.

Just me- Thanks. Me too!

Dawn- I knew someone told me about it! I can hold nothing in my brain.
It was very good.
And thank you Dawn.

TUA- So do you have any recommended reading 4 me?

E4E- I can't say as I ever knew that much about Islam so I definitely learned alot.

10/19/2007 02:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters