Saturday, November 24, 2007

Mosaic Madness!

Hi there. Hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. We went to my in-laws. I had been consumed w/the mosaic project and suddenly realize it was almost Thanksgiving. I had to clean up my mess in the kitchen and start making pies for Thanksgiving. I made a Bette Noir (Black Beast) which is a flourless chocolate cake and it is killer! Also a pumpkin, apple and lemon merangue pie. While I was baking a Fedex guy came to the door w/a delivery and said "Like your shirt." I had forgotten I was wearing it but I like it too. I had Johnny take a pic.



Had I known there was going to be so much political discussion at the Thanksgiving Day table I might have worn it. I was thinking of the rule no religion or politics at the table when I dressed that morning. I was ambushed. I did my best. It was all in good fun and actually I enjoyed MOST of the conversation.

ON to the mosaic. I am finally and actually putting the pieces of tile on the wall. After MONTHS of planning and drawing the design on the wall only to wash it off and start again, and redo's on the tile glazing! It was a relief to get started until I looked around at HOW MUCH I have to do. Christmas is coming. Great time to be doing this. But I am determined. Here are a few pictures for you.

Here is the space behind my stove.



Remember this design is inspired by Klimts Tree of Life.



Okay it's actually copied for the most part but the peacock is all me. The scary part is that it goes all the way to the ceiling and that the swirls are very time consuming to mosaic. Now I am wondering how long it is going to take. I have packed my Ipod w/podcasts from the Satellite Sisters and Learning Out Loud. The SS will give me some laughs and make me feel like my own sisters are there providing thier support and other than that I should be speaking Italian fluently and be quite knowledgeable in world history by the time I am done. Holy Moley! (Maybe I should call my 4 sisters to come lend a hand.)



This is the section to the right of the stove and then there is a whole section to the left that I didn't even photograph. I will update at the end of the day to show you what I've finished. I worked on it from the time we got home yesterday until 10:30 last night. Didn't make much headway.





I haven't heard from Michael since he called from Kuwait. No trace of him online since the 18th. Hoping everything is fine but can't help but worry. Still I am WAY lower on the worry scale than I have been for the past 15 months.

That's the update. If I sit here any longer it will be clear that I am procrastinating so off I go!

11 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Mary, great photo.
But I wouldn't let son of bush (or Clinton) anywhere near them.

11/24/2007 09:45:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Just been over at Hill Country Gal's Perfect Saturday getting some recipes for Whiskey Tart, Xmas Pudding, Brandy Sauce, and lots lots more

11/24/2007 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

That Mosaic is going to look awesome!

11/24/2007 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

The mosaic is going to be so beautiful....I love KLIMT....and esp the Tree of Life...so lovely.....and can't wait to see he peacocks.....Hope you hear from Micheal soon.....gla you survived the Thanksgiving Table talk ( I hope McClellan came up)...and yes we all LOVE the shirt...awesome..

11/24/2007 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Dizzy Dezzi said...

Mary, that mosaic is looking awesome. I wish I had the patience to take up that talent.

If Michael called from Kuwait, that's a good thing. There are a lot of troops coming home and several troops just landing in Kuwait from the States (hmmm...wouldn't it be cool if your loved one and my loved one crossed paths? Nathan will be in Kuwait by Wednesday. Of course, it's unlikely, but it would still be cool if it happened). That means that there are thousands of guys fighting for the phones and the internets, so don't worry too much. I remember that anxious feeling between Kuwait and home, just remember Kuwait is like right between third base and home plate.

11/24/2007 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Babzy said...

Hi Mary. You must be so excited to see and touch your boy.

Your peacock mosaic is going to be outstanding. The nice thing is it's in your own home so you can just work on it whenever you get the urge. Speaking of which, your home looks beautiful. It makes me want to tidy up around here and do some purging.

Nice t-shirt. Isn't it great that we live in countries where we can wear such a thing without getting arrested.

Have fun with your mosaic project.

11/24/2007 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Mary, your wall is going to be AMAZINGLY beatutiful! I admire you for taking on such a big project! But then, I also admire your pie-baking skills... I BUY one, you BAKE how many???

I was glad to read dizzy dezzi's explanation of what it must be like in Kuwait. Sounds like it's a little hectic there.

Did you see what happened with the Australian elections? They voted in a new man that will bring their troops home. AND he will sign the Kyoto Protocol, leaving us as the only industrialized nation that has not joined it. Yes. We need to arrest W and get someone in there that will stop this craziness.

11/24/2007 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Quasar- Whiskey Tart. Hmmm. That sounds good. I'm gonna have visit Hill Country gal.

E4E- Klimt has always been my favorite. I love the colors, the subjects, everything!

Dezzy- What would I do w/o you filling me in! Thank you. Okay so I'll relax. I agree it would be VERY cool if they crossed paths. Hope you are doing okay.

Babzy- Yeah, really glad this one is in my home because OMG I would be in someone elses home forever on this project!

Carol- Dizzy is great isn't she? And thanks for the news update as I have no time to watch. Lucky for Australia! We can't get someone fast enough if you ask me. This is way to long to wait for what will hopefully be positive change.

Go ahead and PURGE! I love that word. We discussed the hoarding show enthusiastically at Thanksgiving. Everyone is purging!

11/24/2007 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

oh, Mary, I love your style! Big holiday colliding with big project? No worries, BRING IT ON!

seriously, I'm dying to see this completed, it's going to be fabulous!

11/25/2007 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

WOW! beau--t-ful. I admire your drive-- I have a hard enough time just painting a wall a solid color.
I have a hard time picking the color of paint. You can;t see colors accurately under flourescent lighting. Anyway-- it is very exciting & we got a glimpse of the peacock. I am impressed.
Hope Michael lands home safely soon.
What a joy that will be!

11/25/2007 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Do you think you could make the Bete Noir for Christmas? I haven't had it in like forever. Or send me the recipe and i can try and make it. I make a Macadamia nut pie this holiday and it was really good but I still like pecan better! Oh, and I discovered you can't freeze pie dough for too long - like a year.

11/26/2007 08:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters