Saturday, November 03, 2007

Man From Plains



Directors Statement:

I have always held President Carter in high esteem, so I leapt at the opportunity to do a documentary portrait of him.

I chose the book tour of Palestine Peace Not Apartheid as the backbone of the
documentary before reading the book. I knew that with the kind of subject matter promised by the title, there would probably be a lot of fireworks on that journey.


I love how his un-self-censored behavior and attitudes help reveal how authentic and deep President Carter's faith-based motivation really is - and how terrifically complicated he is as a human being, with such an active sense of humor, an encyclopedic knowledge of a seeming endless array of subjects - and how supersensitive yet bold, feisty and obstinate he can be at times - and that he reveals how a devoted, adoring husband like him fits so organically with the fellow who "loves the ladies."


Every time I see this film, President Carter makes me believe that - as frightening and appalling as so many things are in the world today - that there is nevertheless a very real possibility for peace and better lives for future generations if we strive to somehow get along and if we aspire to defining the upside of being human.
- Jonathan Demme


Here is the film (directed by Jonathan Demme) webpage. Soundtrack sounds really cool.
Check HERE to see if it's playing near you. I'm sure it won't be around me any time soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger TomCat said...

Mary, this is great. I share your respect for Carter. It's easy to see why he had such trouble getting things done in Washington. He is just to ethical to fit in with that crowd.

11/03/2007 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Carter has done more out of office than in. But he shines in his projects & the Carter Center is a fantastic organization. One major project the center is involved in is overseeing elections.
I'm going to post a piece about his election work in my blog. I look forward to seeing this film.
Thanks for posting it Mary.

11/04/2007 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Babzy said...

President Carter really cares about people.

11/04/2007 01:25:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

I love Carter!!!
(where's No? This post is going to rock her world...)

11/04/2007 08:58:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

Yep...rocked my world...thanks, Mary!

11/04/2007 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger susan said...

There are indeed some very good people in the world including President Carter who is the only one of them I ever actually had direct sight of. That was after an enormous snow storm that had hit RI and as my young son and I stood atop a snow bank waiting to cross a road his cortege drove slowly by and he leaned out the window to wave at us. It was a blessing.
I've come to hold the view that if you strive for serenity and good deeds where you can those practices alone can raise the planetary consciousness level. Good is much stronger than evil and we will prevail so long as we stay true.

11/04/2007 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

I love listening to AMEN when I come here...makes me smile...

I too loved Carter..and love that he speaks the truth and is still trying to make a difference...bless him...

sorry I was gone last week...I will email you later...

11/05/2007 08:05:00 AM  
Blogger niCk (Mem Beth) said...

I've always had much respect for Mr. Carter. IMHO, one of our greatest presidents.

Too bad it will be decades before his greatness will be discovered.

I will see this film for sure.

11/05/2007 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger James Diggs said...

Thanks for sharing this encouraging video!

Peace,

James

11/06/2007 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

They were filming for this when Carter visited MSNBC. I had no idea at the time it was Demme with him but was told afterwards. Carter's eyes are really, really blue and he is small physically

11/07/2007 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger No said...

I finally get to watch this at the library....wow!!!

11/07/2007 08:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters