Thursday, December 06, 2007

The best laid plans...

Remember how I planned to while away the day grouting? Yeah. Didn't happen. Bad weather around the DC/Baltimore area was delaying the truck that was bringing my grout. So 10:30 AM turned into maybe noon and then it just got later and later. So much nervous energy and nothing to do. Johnny came home right after school. His wrestling match with Kent Island was cancelled due to bad weather. Kent is just this side of the Cheasapeake. Still and hour 1/2 at least away from me. He was bummed. It was really just raining here. There was a small amount of snow of the ground here but it was wet. Finally I started dinner and decided to hit the Harris Teeter again as I needed just a couple things and I STILL had 3 hours before I had to leave to get Michael.

While I was in the grocery store Michael called. His flight that would have been arriving at 8PM was cancelled! I should seen this day was going wrong. The next flight would leave Philly at 8:40 and I could pick him up around 9:30. Okay. Okay. I go home, eat dinner, phone rings, it's Michael, flight cancelled again! The next flight would be at 11PM IF it didn't get cancelled.

We quickly decided to go and get him. Philly is 2.5 hours away. We jump in the car and speed away...until, that is we hit Delaware which is minutes from my home. The roads got worse and worse. They were covered in snow. I don't know where the hell the salt trucks were but they weren't on the road. We are going maybe 40mph. Michael has been sitting in an airport bar since 5PM with people buying him beers. It was a long tense ride. We finally got there at 10:30. Everyone was exhausted and um, HAPPY. No pictures. The camera was forgotten. Big hugs, a few minutes of talking and then sleep. Thankfully the roads were far better on the way home. I slept like a rock when I finally hit my bed. Breathing easy today. Michael is home.

23 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

YAY!! Can't wait to see him.

12/06/2007 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Cheers on the arrival and safe journey home for Michael! ; )

Is he now home to stay????

12/06/2007 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

oh Mary, I knew nothing would keep you from your son last night, but what a frustrating evening! I'm sure you will take plenty of pictures in the coming days...all that matters is that your boy is home!!

I've been silently envying all of you for your snowfall this week...I will now eat my words. ;)

12/06/2007 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Yay! I'm crying tears of joy for you!

12/06/2007 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

Yahoo! I was thinking of you around 8:00 last night and hoping that his flight would work out. So glad to hear that you are all home safely. Can't wait to see pictures!

12/06/2007 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

A bumpy day, with a happy ending. Being home and having him home safe, probably never felt so good for everyone involved!
Hopefully today, nobody is obliged to go anywhere, so Old man Winter can do his thing.
Maybe a beautiful snowfall would be a perfect ending to this chapter?

12/06/2007 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

I think your words painted the picture just fine.

Glad your home Michael!

12/06/2007 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
reading this post I literally laughed out loud at work , I always knew we were kindred spirits remember my many Murphy's Law posts. Anyhoo hes home and I know you can finally really breathe. I am really happy for you and am glad Michael is home!!!!

12/06/2007 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

All the other stuff is just bullshit, the only thins that counts is that Michael is home safely.

12/06/2007 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

so good that Micheal is home...good for all of you....may you all rest and catch up....

12/06/2007 06:47:00 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Hooray! Welcome home Michael! We have all been waiting for this day for your family!

12/06/2007 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

What a relief, huh? Great news Mary...

12/06/2007 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Finally! Am glad everything went well in the end:-)

12/07/2007 02:31:00 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

Home! He's home at last! A tough day, but it sure ended well!

12/07/2007 08:32:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Carla- It's gonna be a fun Christmas.

CM- I have him until the 3rd or something like that.

Bluegrrrl- I am winding up w/the camera. Trying to let him get his footing before I start snaping.

Sheri- It's a great thing. I tell you I am sleeping like a baby.

Krissy- I was hearing about the weather back your way but I just wasn't thinking of it in terms of the flight. Anyway he's here now.

Fran- No snow just cold. what did fall is hanging around though because it's so cold. It's all good now though.

Antonio- Great avatar!

Dawn- I'm telling you. It starts out w/one thing and snowballs! I've had a lot of practice w/it as you have and you can almost see it coming now. Down w/Murphy's law.

WT- Right on!

E4E- I don't think Michael will be resting. He's on the go seeing all his friends. That's fine by me. I am so happy to see him happy.

Lori- Thanks for waiting w/me. Very cool.

No- :-)))

La Bellina- It always does doesn't it?

Hayden- Yup. We're good now.

12/07/2007 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger earlbo said...

Mary,
You have all the reasons for a Merry and Joyous Holidays - Have a great one! Michael is home again and in your arms, I have an idea of how you feel - too happy for words to describe.

12/07/2007 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

Well Merry Christmas Mary! Had I known he was flying into Philly I would of picked him up for you and delivered him to your door. What the hell, I'm dying to kick the old Dodge Ram into 4 wheel anyway. Although we might have made a few, uh, stops on the way, lol!

d.

12/07/2007 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Earlbo- Thank you. You are right on the money!

D- Damn that sure would have been nice stops or not! I keep thinking you're in NYC but I guess thats just work. He wasn't supposed to stop at Philly. He should have continued on to the little local airport in Salisbury. Lucky for me it's not that far to Philly and we made it through. Good times!

12/08/2007 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

"Michael is home."
The most beautiful words you have ever written!:)

12/09/2007 03:40:00 AM  
Blogger Babzy said...

Neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow nor heat of day nor dark of night shall keep Mary from getting Michael home. hooray!

12/09/2007 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger just me said...

Yeah, I'm crying, but they are tears of joy. I'm so so happy for you. And so very proud of Micheal.

12/09/2007 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

YEAH!! what an adventure getting him but so worth it. Make that boy pose and show us his happy self, tell'm we've been waiting for his return so we could breath easy like you!!
hugs and kisses (yeah good news, sniff!)
Ingrid

12/12/2007 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Glad I caught up on this... was wondering how it all went. He's home, he's safe... all is well.

12/12/2007 10:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters