Thursday, January 10, 2008

Did I mention The Wire yet?


I just finished season 4 of THE WIRE. If you are not watching this show then you are missing out. My brother-in-law turned us on to this and we have been watching as fast as we can get our hands on a new season. The 5th and final season has just started so we we are caught up.

The writers on this show get it SO right. It is so compelling. The characters are so full. The good guys are bad guys and the bad guys are good guys...it just crosses back and forth. It is such a commentary on society and the dysfunction of the system. Each season takes you through another piece of the dysfunction and they all connect. It's quite an education. A really smart and brilliant show. I'm not good at this so just trust me and watch it.

Update:
(Sornie, this is for you.) I took this from the HBO link for the show which I have above. Here is just part of what they have on the "About the show" page.

The first season of 'The Wire' (2002) concentrated on the often-futile efforts of police to infiltrate a West Baltimore drug ring headed by Avon Barksdale and his lieutenant, Stringer Bell. In Seasons Two and Three, as the Barksdale investigation escalated, new storylines involving pressures on the working class and the city's political leadership were introduced. Season Four focused on the stories of several young boys in the public school system, struggling with problems at home and the lure of the corner - set against the rise of a new drug empire in West Baltimore and a new Mayor in City Hall.

The fifth and final season of 'The Wire' centers on the media's role in addressing - or failing to address - the fundamental political, economic and social realities depicted over the course of the series, while also resolving storylines of the numerous characters woven throughout the narrative arc of the show.


Explains series creator David Simon, "It made sense to finish 'The Wire' with this reflection on the state of the media, as all the other attendant problems of the American city depicted in the previous four seasons will not be solved until the depth and range of those problems is first acknowledged. And that won't happen without an intelligent, aggressive and well-funded press."

11 Comments:

Blogger Antonio said...

I've never missed an episode. This is one of my all-time favorite shows. Bonus that it's filmed in Baltimore. Every once in a while I'll see someone I know on the show. I'm sorry to see it end.

My favorite character? Omar

1/10/2008 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sornie said...

You need to break the show down a bit more even though your brief take on it is intriguing I need some more dirt on it before I allow it into my life.

1/10/2008 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger betmo said...

i feel the same way about the shield- another excellent show. i started watching the wire- but it lost me. perhaps since i live in a decaying small urban city in a decaying state- i am just not ready to see more. but it has gotten acclaim from anyone i have ever heard talk about it. just put it in the netflix queue sornie :) they send you one disc at a time- and you can try it out.

1/10/2008 06:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Antonio- Omar is my favorite too! No doubt. I love when he whistles the Farm in the Dell

Sornie- I added a little more for you. Open the doors! YOu won't regret it.

1/10/2008 06:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Betmo- We posted at the same time! I just really think this is some kind of intelligent writing on this show. Each season gets better and better. Season 4 was SO great. I can't wait to see 5. I will be sad when its over. I hope these writers will find another great project for me to follow.

1/10/2008 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
Hands down the Wire is the best written show ever. It's so real sometimes it's scary. I'm sad that this will be the last season but from what I hear it's going to really be great. Did you ever see The corner. It was written I believe by the same people and was also excellent. Funny how you can care about the bad and good right.

1/11/2008 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger San said...

You're making me regret that I have the most basic cable subscription. I can't watch that show.

:-(

1/11/2008 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

The cheese stands alone
Love me some Omar.

LOVE this show - it is for REAL
Antonio - I too sometimes see people I know on the show.

The wire led me to read some George Pelacanos books (DC based writer) cuz he writes for the Wire./

1/11/2008 08:21:00 PM  
Anonymous lori said...

I am on the same time line as you Mary. I just watched season 4 in a big hurry to be ready for season 5 and I was hooked! I love it even more then the soprano's and I loved the soprano's! Very compelling television. I can't believe I haven't watched it until recently!

1/12/2008 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Thanks for the heads up, 'cause I never heard of it.

This time of yr we seek out NF and our cue is rather lengthy. Come summer, the outdoors beckon.....

Cheers!

1/14/2008 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dawn- I'm sorry it's the last too.

San- You can rent it from Blockbuster or something.

Carla- Indeed.
Maybe I should read some Pelicanos. Never thought of that!

CM- I would love to be outdoors. I was just thinking this morning maybe that's why I get so cranky in January.

1/15/2008 09:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters