Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My birthday.

Yesterday was my birthday. Another year older. It started very early in the morning with me trying to plug in my new cell phone to charge it but not being able to SEE the little plug in the side of the phone. I heard my husband say " Where are the glasses we bought you?" In that moment I felt "older".

Just weeks before we had bought a pair of reading glasses for me. The lowest magnification I could find but still I had been struggling to see a few things. I had my eyes checked and my perscription for distance was significantly different AND the doc wanted to put bifocals in my glasses. I declined. Thats too confusing for me. Then it was off to MVA to get my drivers license renewed and when the picture came out I saw my mother. She's a good looking woman but I didn't exactly see my YOUNG mother. Come to think of it my father had finger nails that were very...square. The sides of them kind of formed sharp angles like a box. My nails are doing that and its freaking me out. Hell, it's freaking my husband out. Not that it's ugly but they are so completely my fathers nails.

Other than that! I feel young so screw it. I had a nice quiet day. I recieved some form of congratulations from all but two members of my family. Those are great numbers when you come from such a large family. How can you be expected to remember so many dates? I know I myself am very guilty of missing some bdays. (Anne if you are reading, happy belated birthday. You know I love you.) It happens. Even better ALL of my children acknowledged the day. Taylor called even though she couldn't be any sicker. Flu, pink eye, sinus infection. Poor child. Still called and wished me a happy birthday. Michael called from Germany. John brought home my favorite pizza and Johnny and I watched the first episode of Lost that we missed last week on the computer. It was a great day. As Michael said to me, "Hey, your still younger than all my friends mothers." Yeah. So there.



I'll give you the rest of St. Michaels tomorrow.

23 Comments:

Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Yay! I'm the first to wish you Happy birthday!! Hey, getting old is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter, and btw, you're a good looking woman too! :-)

2/06/2008 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

Happy Birthday Mary! Sounds like you had a nice day.

2/06/2008 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Well, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! You're not getting older, you're getting better! I'm older than you and by God, if I get any better, I don't know what I'll do with myself.

Did you notice that your birthday is the day before Robert R's?

Glad that you had a good day (except for the glasses part) and you were remembered by many.

2/06/2008 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger JM said...

A belated Happy B-Day!! Remember you're only as old as you THINK you are. Me, I'm about 28, I just wish the wife didn't keep reminding me of the real number.

2/06/2008 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Happy Birthday Mary!!!! You know they say we get better with age. The mother thing scary, I've had a few momentsa myself. Hey at least you got to see the new Lost on your B'Day and it was fantastic right. One day we'll have to discuss lost.

2/06/2008 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

Happy Belated Birthday fellow Aquarian!

2/06/2008 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Another aquarian, huh? No wonder you are so special. Happy belated birthday greetings. I look like my older sister who is 65, ha! I sound like my mother. The eye thing just seems to happen overnight, doesn't it? One minute you can read the fine print, and the next day, nada....

2/06/2008 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Happy Birthday Mary xoxoxoxo!

Remember, you're only as old as your Driver's Licence says you are.

2/06/2008 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Sornie said...

Ah yes, the birthday. A day when we celebrate (not always by choice) the fact that we are getting older. I make no big deal out of my own but I don't like the spotlight.

2/06/2008 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Sorry I missed it, thus:

Happy "un" Birthday!

I fell for the bi-foc's last year, and feel my eyes are worse for it ; (

Anyway, age really means nothing, it's your state of mind!

Cheers! ; )

2/06/2008 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger Dizzy Dezzi said...

Happy New Year, Mary!

(Don't worry, I look like my mother, too! Which is why I am fighting the "looking older" part with all the energy I can muster...of course, I don't mind being older. I just mind looking like my mother **wink**).

You are as young as you feel, my dear!

2/06/2008 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger beachblogger said...

dear marrrry, happy birthday! get the 'no line' bifocals, they work good. peace, peter

2/06/2008 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

"...Hey, your still younger than all my friends mothers." That was funny!

Happy Birfday Mary!!!

2/06/2008 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARY!!!

YOU LOOK GREAT...

2/06/2008 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Hey Mary~ Happy B day- as my Sister reminded me when I lamented getting into scarey numbers-- it beats the alternative!

As for glasses- I needed to go to bi focals a few years ago & have progressives.... the 2 different lenses just blend into each other-- not a stark line break in vision. I like them just fine & did not take any real adjusting to get used to. I sometimes find myself tipping my head up to look out of th ebottom of the reading lenses.

I have a really strong distance prescription for astigmatism.

2/07/2008 01:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Kvatch said...

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm blogging again. But...Blognonymous is no more.

Long live Ragebot!

2/07/2008 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

La Bellina- I like that..."if you don't mind, it doesn't matter" I mostly don't mind. Just the eye thing. And the memory thing. And the wrinkle thing.

Krissy- It was Ledo's pizza. Have you had it? You must have.

Carol- It truly made my day to get all those calls and cards from my family. I miss them all.

JM- I'm going for 21.

Dawn- Lost always leaves me w/more questions than I had in the first place!

Robert- ;)

Just me- Overnight! It's freaky.

WT- Always the voice of reason!

Sornie- I love the spotlight. Coming from a family of 7 children I take any little bit I can get.

CM- I try not to use them myself. I don't know if that's ignorance or what. I find them annoying.

Dizzy- I'm in complete agreement. I don't want to be my mother at all. (no offense ma if you are reading)

Peter- I'll get 'em...eventually.

Antonio- I had to laugh too. Still I am not younger than my younger two childrens mothers.

No- Awww, thanks.

Fran- It does indeed beat the alternative. I have an astimatism too. I must say I find it hard to believe that it isn't confusing to look far through one part of the lense and then close through another. I guess I won't know until I try it.

Kvatch! I'm so glad you stopped by to tell me of your new blog. I'm so out of the loop at the present moment. I'll be right over!

2/07/2008 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger CHEWY said...

Happy Birthday! Woo-Hoo!
I'm an Aquarian too.

2/07/2008 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger CHEWY said...

I just had a closer look at your photo and noticed your ah-hum "finger" language.

2/07/2008 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Chewy your so astute. That's a good Aquarian. You're the only one.

2/07/2008 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger CHEWY said...

Ha-Ha! I did not notice, I was too busy looking at your fingers... your ring attracted me to them... then down to the one sticking out of your pocket.

2/07/2008 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Well happy belated birthday, Mary. How many spanks did you get?

However many it was, you're still a Hottie!

2/07/2008 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Happy Happy Birthday....you are so young....not older...better...hope it is a wonderful year...

2/10/2008 06:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters