Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Did you know?

GI Bill Falls Short

In the WaPo today there is this.

"...Decades after the GI Bill transformed American society after World War II, another generation of veterans is returning home -- more than 800,000 as of last summer. What they find is quite different from the comprehensive benefits that once covered all the costs of an education, from undergraduate straight through Harvard Law. The current GI benefit covers just half the national average cost for tuition, room and board, veterans' advocates say. "It falls dramatically short," said Eric Hilleman of the Veterans of Foreign Wars..."

Then there is this part of the article...

"..."These are people . . . who served the country at a time when very few people did," said Sen. James Webb (D-Va.), who is pushing a bill that would expand benefits for veterans, including active-duty National Guard troops and reservists, to cover the cost of the most expensive public universities and to match contributions from private schools with higher tuition, for four academic years. "We should give them the best shot at a good future."

An earlier version of the bill stalled in Congress; the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs opposed it as (my emphasis) too expensive, too complex to administer and too likely to tempt troops to move back to civilian life. The bill, substantially revised, now has 58 co-sponsors, including both Democratic presidential candidates.


You wouldn't want them going off to college before they've been completely used up by the military would you?

12 Comments:

Blogger Sornie said...

It seems to me that our government would rather entice people to stay in the military and fight our endless wars than lead a more productive civilian life

4/29/2008 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Sornie- well precisely. Except I would use the word hoodwink rather than entice.

4/29/2008 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

The earlier bill stalled in the Senate, because the GOP filibustered it. The GOP wants to give full benefits only to Vets who apply from Arlington.

4/29/2008 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

I think Hoodwinked is the word Mary....perfect...

( in my state they have been advertizing the earth, moon and stars as enticement- Educatiion, small biz loans and house loans up to 40,000, but they also say you have to serve 8 years before being eligible....I don't know if these ads are everywhere...)

4/29/2008 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Other benefits for Vets have quietly but regularly underwent the hatchet as well.

"..........too likely to tempt troops to move back to civilian life. "
And we all know what terrible warmongers those damn civilians are!!

4/29/2008 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Dem Soldier said...

I really hope, who ever wins the Dem side pick Webb as VP, I love this guy....he says what's in his heart and once told Bush to take his finger of his arse..I ain't kidding...this man has both guts and knows the military better than any one in congress and has son now serving...

On the GI-Bill, my best friend who's in the army was telling me that the army soldiers in his unit where talking about this and what make this some what shocking was the McCain or Mcbush was against it and army guys in his unit were angry for him...

4/30/2008 01:12:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

; (

4/30/2008 04:33:00 AM  
Blogger peter said...

Dear Mary, this war has screwed everything up: FUBAR as it is known. peace, peter

4/30/2008 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger BlueBella said...

Yeek. Everything has a price, and it is too bad when someone is willing to give up their life for something, they are not treated in kind. An opportunity for free education is the least of repayment.

4/30/2008 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Grrrrrrrrr

5/01/2008 02:11:00 AM  
Blogger Catmoves said...

During a war period when the draft was in effect, I volunteered to go into the service in order to repay my country for the life I had led here. Upon discharge, I entered University and found the GI Bill paid for all costs, even left me enough to get married and buy a car. But we had real Presidents and real Congress people then, who cared. None of the current crop of Presidential candidates fit that definition.

5/01/2008 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Tomcat- How ridiculous is that?

E4E- I haven't seen them but I usually tune that kind of thing out. I don't at all doubt it. Lisa, as a senior in HS gets crap in the mail everyday.

TUA- I can't get over the hypocrisy! I should be used to it by now but I can't.

Dem- I don't know why more people wouldn't be talking to Bush like that. If I had the chance....

CM- Ditto.

Peter- Agreed.

Bluebella- The very least. And now um...decent housing.

FRan- I know. And aren't you tired of griting your teeth?

Catmoves- No they don't. My father also went to school on the GI bill.

5/02/2008 07:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters