Saturday, April 26, 2008

Surfwise

I have been SO sick this week. Thursday and Friday I could barely get out of bed. I feel better today but definitely not 100%. The weather has been beautiful though and I have been holed up in the house so I'm going to go for it and try and get out in the garden if it kills me.

I did watch a couple of movies. One was Jimmy Carter: Man From Plains. Carla, there were many makeup artists who got film time but YOU were not one of them. What is up with that? The film follows Jimmy on his book tour for "Palestine Peace Not Apartheid". You see how his credibility is called into question. He is unwavering on his stance and his quest for PEACE.

The second movie I saw was Surfwise. THIS is a thought provoking film for sure. Here is a man who takes his family off the beaten path in a big way. There are good things and bad for sure. Everyone has good and bad in the upbringing right? And it's not like following societal norms is working. I think things were too extreme sometimes. I also think everyone deserves an education. It's hard for me to reconcile in my mind a man who had the benefit of a PhD in medicine denying an education to his children. Still there is a lot of beauty in this family. Alot.
I watched this on pay-per-view. Try to find it. I am interested to hear what everyone has to say.



Here is a synopsis from the movie website:

Like many American outsider-adventurers, Dorian “Doc” Paskowitz set out to realize a utopian dream. Abandoning a successful medical practice, he sought self-fulfillment by taking up the nomadic life of a surfer. But unlike other American searchers like Thoreau or Kerouac, Paskowitz took his wife and nine children along for the ride, all eleven of them living in a 24 foot camper. Together, they lived a life that would be unfathomable to most, but enviable to anyone who ever relinquished their dreams to a straight job. The Paskowitz Family proved that America may be running out of frontiers, but it hasn’t run out of frontiersman.

14 Comments:

Blogger Oceanshaman said...

Wow . . . Mary, that is so cool . . .

Hope you're feelin' better . . .

4/26/2008 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Oceanshaman- You are going to love this film. Do you have mediacom? I found it on PPV.

4/26/2008 07:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Education takes many forms, not just what a kid gets in a building.

4/26/2008 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger peter said...

hope you are feeling better!

cool movies.

two words: great white!

peace, peter

4/26/2008 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Anonymous- I totally agree! There are lots of ways to learn. There is too much that you don't learn in a school. I still think everyone should have the opportunity of a traditional education especially when they ask for it. I guess I think there could have been more balance. Believe me I see all that is good in what this family did.

4/26/2008 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Shrinky said...

hey girl, so sorry to hear you've been laid low, I do hope you've turned the corner now.

Is that guy nuts? I have trouble enough coping whe all my four are on a school break, and that is in a five bedroom house. I'd slit my wrists three weeks into something like that..

4/27/2008 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Hi Mary~ Glad you are feeling better. Sounds like an interesting concept, they did it back in the day there were more places to just pull over & park & live. Could not do it quite the same these days with so many rules, regs, fines, regulations. Plus having all those people in such a small space.... must have had some tense moments.

4/27/2008 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hi Mary,

I hope you're feeling all better.

What an amazing life the Paskowitz
family led! Thanks for posting about the film. I want to see it.

I could live with myself a lot better if I were Jimmy Carter than if I were W.

4/27/2008 05:25:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

Hope you're feeling better, Mary. It always feels so *wrong* to be under the weather when the weather is spring!

I haven't seen the second film (want to now) but the older I get the less faith I have in traditional education to supply anything of value in the years before college. True, they'd miss some things. But everyone does. The question is, on balance, did they gain more than they lost?

4/27/2008 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Hope you feel well soon Mary. Looks like an interesting movie!

4/27/2008 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger bluegrrrrl said...

Hi Mary!!
I'm glad you stumbled upon me again!
And I hope you're feeling a lot better now.
Thanks for the movie tips--adding them to my list!

4/28/2008 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Get well soon!

Sounds like a great movie...unfortunately we don't we don't have PPTV here :-(

4/29/2008 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Shrinky- I hear you! We DID live in a very small house when my 4 children were young. It used to be a garage. I'm going to guess you could get 4 cars in there. It was hellish. I did it for more years than I care to think about.

Fran- I really found it fascinating. Just weighing out the pros and cons. I mean certainly the father was a dictator but who from that generation didn't have a dictator for a father? I know my father was.

Hi Carol- Yeah well, I agree w/your last statement.

Hayden- It's a very good question. I agree w/you on education pre college. I honestly think if it went along w/enough homeschooling so that they could if they chose go on to college it would be perfect.

Gary- Thanks. This has been some kind of hanging on funk but its slowly receding. Back to work! I'm behind!

Blue- It's good to hear your voice again.

4/29/2008 08:34:00 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Hope you're feeling much better.

4/29/2008 01:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters