Friday, May 09, 2008

Soulbiographies

Ode Magazine directed me to this clip and filmaker Nic Askew's Soulbiographies. Pretty cool.


"Filmmaker Nic Askew treats his audience with beautiful short films & stories about Life & the Human Spirt. Soulbiographies, he calls them. One of the movies that touched me deeply was an interview with old men and women in Guatemala. Nic wanted to capture the soul of Guatemala but during the interview he couldn't understand the local language that the old people spoke. He tried hard to listen to their words. And then he gave up. He started to listen to their voice, he looked in their eyes and face and watched their gestures. He immediately understood what they were saying. He discovered that his attempts to understand their words kept him away from being open with his heart directly to theirs."




HERE is a link to some of Nic's films. Watch at your leisure. They are all interesting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

That's beautiful. I couldn't understand the language, but I was smiling throughout the video.

Hmmmm... he's right. We listen to words with our heads, but when we can't understand the words, we are free to listen with our hearts.

Nice. Thanks!

5/09/2008 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger The Beltway B@stard said...

Reminds me of my grandfather, and much older cousin Mario in Italy. The first time I met Mario, I couldn't speak a lick of Italian, but we understood everything we were conveying to each other.

Thanks for this Mary.

5/09/2008 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Carol- Pretty cool huh?

BB- I'm glad you like it.

5/10/2008 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

very interesting... thanks for posting this.

5/12/2008 06:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters