Thursday, May 22, 2008

Success


I made tiles for a clients pool room back splash. She already had hand rolled field tiles in white so I was to make hand rolled accent tiles w/bathing suits on them. I made extra as you never know quite what to expect when you open a kiln. Also when you are using under glazes and glazes the color you see isn't the color it will be so you are sort of painting blind. At least color blind. She ended up taking them all. She loved them. Made my day.

Last night we attended scholarship awards where Lisa received a local Fine Arts Scholarship. We are VERY thankful for that. Somewhere around $600,000 in scholarships were awarded during the evening with at least half of that going to one student. A handful of students were called up again and again. So what I learned during the course of the evening is to get scholarship money you need to be a super extraordinary athlete and/or do LOTS of community service as well as be strong academically. Oh right, and you MUST apply! One lady said she didn't have enough applicants to give away all the scholarships she wanted to. Children, children, children....apply,apply,apply!!!! Give your poor parents a break.

I have one left to go to college after Lisa.

13 Comments:

OpenID Cats said...

Beautiful tiles.

I remember the high school scholarship days very well. My one daughter has red hair and we told her to apply to the "red heads scholarship" but she never did. Schools should do more to encourage and help students apply for scholarships.

5/22/2008 09:52:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Cats- I was thinking instead of study hall have scholarship hall. I know Lisa's school does post scholarships in the newsletter and constantly in encouraging the kids to fill them out but at that age most kids have to just about forced.

5/22/2008 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Mary, my supervisor Julie and I were just discussing how cool those latest tiles are. Nice work.

5/22/2008 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger WT said...

Wow Mary, those are fantastic!!!

5/22/2008 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Awesome Mary!! Really great

5/22/2008 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

Wonderful tiles - no wonder your client is thrilled!

congrats to Lisa- good on her!

5/22/2008 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Cute tiles Mary.

Congratulations on the scholarships.

You are right, HS kids need prodding to get scholarships.

Fran

5/23/2008 02:49:00 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Those are GREAT tiles! How fun is that???

Congratulations to Lisa on her scholarship. I wish that I would've been more scholarship-wise when my kids were that age...

5/23/2008 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger CHEWY said...

Wow! Fantastic tiles! I really like the one with the cherries on it. Oh! I used to have a black & white striped one just like that from Saks Fifth Avenue. - I'm rambling. - Love them!

5/23/2008 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Krissy Doyle said...

Those tiles are really neat! You have quite a talent!

5/23/2008 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Nicely done! ; )

5/25/2008 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Beautiful tiles. I wish I had something like that.

There are grants and scholarships for every one. One just needs to apply.

5/26/2008 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

very very cool tiles...so amazing...and good for Lisa for getting some of that money out there...trying to find college funding....stressfull..very...

5/27/2008 03:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters