Monday, August 18, 2008

She's Ready

This past weekend we drove up to NYC. Lisa MOVES there next weekend but John wanted to go up and walk her around her new neighborhood and show her where things were etc. She has a friend who moved up a month ago and she was with us. Her friend has already figured out the subway and is doing fine. I am so happy that Lisa has someone there though I am sure she will make many other friends.



Saturday was beautiful and as we walked around Lisa had it all figured out very quickly. We wandered through Grammercy Park, the Village, SOHO etc and just enjoyed the day. So much to look at and do. We had a celebrity sighting. I was right next to Dianne Weist
as she went into a store. I waited until we were down the street a little and then told the girls because I was wracking my brain for her name. All I could think of was the lady who was in the Woody Allen film Hannah and Her Sisters and if you can believe this- they weren't even born yet. Of course she's been in PLENTY of other films, plays and TV show and is a talented actress. She won best supporting actress in fact in 2 Woody Allen films. Anyway when I told them they wanted to go back and look at her. I said please just don't embarrass me. They were very cool when she came out of the store just as we got there and then walked right behind us down the street. We stopped at a vendor and she did too. So they got a good look and knew exactly who she was. They were very excited to have had a celebrity sighting.



We enjoyed a great lunch at a sidewalk cafe.



John and I listened to Lisa and her friend plan their new life in the big city. They are going to do it all. It's really going to be a great time in their life. They really are going to be fine. Lucky girls.

As much as I love the city I have NO sense of direction. It takes me forever to understand the lay of the land. Years. I really depend on John when I'm there. I get turned around very easily. When it was time to leave the city Lisa volunteered to drive! Talk about white knuckles. She got us right out of there though. Did fine. I really have no worries.

13 Comments:

Blogger The Beltway B@stard said...

WooHoo! NYC. My wife and I love NYC. She has a cousin who lives in Soho.

8/19/2008 04:32:00 AM  
Blogger betmo said...

i am too used to the wilds and open spaces of upstate new york :) it's almost like a foreign country for me. my husband used to drive chartered buses to manhattan- so he kind of knows the layout. apparently, it's a grid of one way streets. no thanks. new york city folks are impatient and always in a hurry to get nowhere- i don't drive if we go downstate.

congrats to lisa!!! it sounds like she is really excited and she will be fine. the only good thing i can say about giuliani is- he cleaned up the city. i have a friend who moved there from here and he has been there pretty much ever since. has to be close to 15 years or so. loves it and of course hubby's family is from the city and long island. it's a different place that's for sure.

8/19/2008 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

I've only been to NYC twice, but I got lost both times. I think you really do have to spend a lot of time there to get an idea of how the streets work. Wish Lisa luck for me.

8/19/2008 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
I get lost in the village, its just a place you learn and then you know. She'll be fine. I have to tell you I see stars all the time and can't figure out who they are until later. Then I'm like whoa. I'm really happy for Lisa, maybe we'll run into each other sometime

8/19/2008 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I bought one of those city slicker maps from Borders, Worth every penny! It helped me out so much finding the metro and bus lines places to see and most importantly which way I was going. Last time I was there I saw Miss USA on top of the Empire State Building.

8/19/2008 01:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am absolutely envious!
Was accepted at NYU years ago but couldn't afford to go....
Lucky girl.

8/19/2008 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Like Betmo, I'm too used to open spaces (just different open spaces than she lives in). I feel overwhelmed just THINKING about getting around in NYC. And without the mountains to tell me which way is west... Forget it!

I did feel the excitement of the new adventure that Lisa is about to begin. I'm sure that she will have a GREAT time! Good for her!!!

8/19/2008 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I've never been to NYC, nor have I ever desired to. Too much hick in me, I guess. It sounds like Lisa will do very well!

"As much as I love the city I have NO sense of direction. It takes me forever to understand the lay of the land. Years."
I am the same way! I get lost at four way stops! My wife constantly teases me that I'm the only person that can get lost coming out of a gas station. (I once went back the way I had entered when our destination was a hundred miles further down the road.) My sense of direction is horrible, and I need to make the trip about a dozen times before I "start" to remember.

Enter a Lifesaver!! I have one just like this, and I'm telling you, I'm the traveling kid now!:) Also get this for mounting, as it is much easier and better. Unless you drive like a maniac, it will stay right where you put it.

It's like getting new glasses that open up a whole new world. You'll never regret it!

8/20/2008 03:20:00 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Hi Mary~ Just stopped by--to say hi. Your baby girl is all grown up!!!!!

Best wishes.

8/20/2008 04:05:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Carol- I hear you! Someone who never leaves the city is missing so much. Like I said I like them both.

TUA- Already have that gadget. That's how I get around without my man. Your story about the gas station is so me! How does that happen to some of us?

Fran- Hey there! Yes she is. I'm ready to let her fly.

8/20/2008 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger Mariamariacuchita said...

There were many mixed feelings that came up for me when mine started college. Of course, you want them to take on their life with all its excitement, but there is the twinge of regret that things will never ever again be the same at home.

8/20/2008 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

How exciting! A fabulous experience for her, she's very lucky - and brave, too! Lots of folks are way too intimidated to try. Cheers to her!

8/21/2008 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

wow..how exciting and so amazing...and so wonderful that you got to see her new home and where she will be....and that you get to share this transition...


many hugs...

8/24/2008 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters