Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Like a mouse in a labyrinth...

that's how I feel lately. My laptop that was purchased to replace the business desktop in June or July had a bad hard drive. Umm...that is a hell of a lot of info to be moved to a new hard drive. You computer people can laugh at me but backing up and restoring is just not coming easy. I try very hard. I have an external hard drive. It's not as easy to get the info off that thing as I would have thought. Where's the manual to use it? Somewhere on the damn computer. I find that and I have to boot from my rescue disk because syncing didn't seem to do it. To boot from the rescue disk I have to be sure the BIOS something, something is set to something something (check your computer owners manual which where the f is that?). Searched help and found the answer to that question is different for every computer. Okay. I try different ways to start my computer 'cause that's how I usually figure things out. I hit F12 continuously because somewhere in my computer history I've done that. It worked. My rescue disk is currently wiping out whatever is on my new hard drive (they ask if that's okay but don't give me another option)and supposedly putting all my stuff on it. We'll see. I am trying to get this done in the few free hours I have here and there on my schedule. If this doesn't work I guess I will take it all to my computer repair guy and PAY. Fuck Dell is all I can say. Pardon my harshness but this is a huge inconvenience for me.

Talk about a mouse in a labyrinth! That's me making my way to all the office's and buildings at the University. I have said I have no sense of direction before but it's really ridiculous. You must make your way to so many offices in the process of signing up for classes its unbelievable. I mean could they streamline this process because I don't have time for this nonsense? Yesterday I had to laugh at myself as I went upstairs in a building I go to all time to an office I have been to before because I walked down EVERY hallway before I found the right one with office I needed. Like a good mouse I repeated the process on the way out. Actually I used a different stairway on the way down as I could not find the original one. I need help.

15 Comments:

Blogger betmo said...

:) they don't streamline it because i think they see it as a weeding out process :) and they must have personal gps units out by now :) :) :) take a deep breath- and hang in there!!!

10/28/2008 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Our laptop harddrive went bad and they sent us a new one. One without even an operating system. The original did not come with an Operating System disk, so I called them. They said, "Well, we gave you a hard drive." I said, "Duh! But it doesn't function without an operating system." I actually had to fight to get them to send me a disk with the operating system since that's what I bought when I bought the hard drive.

Damn. Computers suck. (petting mine at work, not you sweetie. . . please don't die, please don't die . . . )

10/28/2008 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Sornie said...

Oh, I've been there too. My iMac had a small hiccup in its system software (first time in 7 years I've had promlems with a Mac) and it was a nightmare. I didn't lose any physical files but fonts and software were a nightmare as I do a fair amount of design work on that computer. I still don't have it 100% back together and this was 6 months ago.

10/28/2008 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Don't you love how computers and technology save so much time? ;) Seriously, I had a Dell with a crashed hard drive a few years back, and they sent out a tech to replace while I stood and watched. I would be clueless to fix it myself. Do you have a service contract you can utilize?

10/28/2008 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I too am a veteran of Dell Hell, since I bought one of their pieces of crap. They don't have any help at ALL! I've had this computer two years, and I STILL can't find out what brand my TV card is! That included calls to India to talk to some towel headed jabber butt who says his name is "Mike."

And to completely ruin your day.....we bought the best. The rest of them are even worse!..(:

10/29/2008 03:38:00 AM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

I'm on an Apple. A whole different experience.

What did you do with all the time you had before we had computers, cell phones, ipods and microwaves?

10/29/2008 07:56:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Betmo- I guess the process does get you ready for life in the world. Well it's about time for me eh?

Sheri- Now they want me to send back the old hard drive which means I have to wipe out the old one. When I googled how to do that they said its not a job for beginners. Our financial info is on there and I don't just want to send it off to who knows where.

Joanne- I don't every get the service contract because I have a great computer guy here but this early in the life of the computer I would hope the company would back up their product.

Spado- I kept think I should have switched to apple but its just so different to me. The girls have them and I just don't know how hard it would be to get all the old business stuff on one. Some day I will sit down and figure it out.
I was thinking about your question and I think I used to day dream in my spare time. Ah the good old days.

10/29/2008 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger dawn said...

I feel for you I am totally illerate when it comes to this stuff, I've been thinking about apple also the kids want to switch

10/29/2008 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Hi from one dem computer people.

If you run into problems shoot me an email detailing what is going on and I will try to help.

10/29/2008 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Dawn- I shoulda got an apple. My girls have one.

Blue- You are a saint. Thank you. What a kind offer.

10/30/2008 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Seize the Day said...

If you need a good tech guy I've got one in West OC who is great. Dell should pay for repairs, right?

10/30/2008 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Mary::
I am so proud of you going to school...wow..and now about that mouse in the labrinth...you need treats- just like a good mouse ;-)

about your computer...could you call the Geek Squad ? and have them come out- my next door neighbor had the same thing- and it was a Dell too...he came and was in and out in under 2 hours and they had been struggling with it for a month....

Hang in there friend....

10/31/2008 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

( oh one more thing- someone said about Apple- I love my mac..and you can go to the Apple store and they have a Genius Bar- where they help you sort all kinds of stuff out...been hooked since late 90's....they have never let us down..)

10/31/2008 04:17:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Seize- Dell doesn't pay for anything.

E4E-I shoulda got an Apple...

11/01/2008 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Hi Mary~ A good friend of mine who endured the *Dell Experience* says-- Dell can go to Hell!

I too am MAC user. Their commercials say they will convert your PC stuff to run on a MAC.....

maybe in the future, you will cross over to the other side?

11/10/2008 04:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters