Tuesday, December 30, 2008

r^2-5r+6/r^2-4 or Algebra hurts my brain.

This Christmas was kind of a blur. I was sick before Christmas (when I had to go in for a final at the university and then take a placement test at the community college)and I have once again caught this bug. WTF? I managed to stay on my feet through the first bout but I've been 2 days in bed this last round.

I didn't realize the placement test included Math. I only heard the words English and waltzed right in to take it with confidence. When the gate-keeper asked me if I wanted a Scientific or regular calculator I knew I was in trouble. When I didn't answer right away she said "You want a regular." I had a moment during the test when I looked at the problem on the screen and couldn't think of what I could possibly press on that calculator to get an answer and my paper and pencil were of no use either. I passed (with a 50) Pre-Algebra. I received a score of 19 in Algebra. So you don't think I'm a complete idiot my scores in reading and writing were 99 and 97. (Bronx cheer)

I found out I could take the math part again which I will as I have no desire to take Algebra for a 3rd time in my life (I took it twice in Jr. High)and I certainly don't want to PAY to take it. For the last 2 days I have been studying. Almost immediately I had the same reaction to Algebra that I did so many, many years ago which was to skip this class and head for the field behind the school or better yet the railroad tracks or "the tree". It's funny how it comes right back to you. Like riding a bike. My learning style... Ah but now I am a responsible adult with a goal of not taking an extra Math course just to reach the level of the Math I need to get my degree. For the last 2 days (while sick in bed) I have studied Algebra and I honestly have to tell you that my brain is more fried than it was back when I would have headed for the field. Sick or not I am going to have to head to the studio and give it a rest. I DO think I can pass the test though. Thank goodness for my very smart daughter Lisa. She taught me all the Algebra I currently and temporarily know as well as how to use the Scientific calculator (we didn't have those when I was in school). I won't retain this long so I better take that test soon.

Poor John had been sick on Christmas Day which was a bummer but it was nice to have all the kids home and we managed to get my mother down which was quite a feat. She hasn't been able to come for a holiday in a while.



Joe and Mom



Carla and Scott



Which reminds me... Carla has been working very long hard hours at her job. I have a great picture of her touching up Tony Blair for some interview. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting it. (Tell me if you want me to take it down Carla.)



Mom and Taylor



Me between illnesses and John trying to make an appearance on Christmas.



Today is my son Michael's 23rd birthday. He is in Atlantic City.



Happy New Year everyone! May it by some miracle be a Peaceful one.

10 Comments:

Blogger betmo said...

i hope you feel better :) it looks like you had a nice family holiday- and that means much. don't fret about algebra- your brain doesn't work that way and it's unfortunate that the educational system in this country doesn't account for that. some folks are verbal- others are mathy. :)

12/30/2008 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

What betmo said...

I relate to the "temporary" algebra knowledge. For me, in one brain cell, out another. Gives me a headache just thinking about it...

Feel better. And I second your wish for the miracle of peace. (You and betmo have said everything so well, what do you need me for???) ;-)

12/30/2008 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

B- Something tells me you'd do very well on both subjects.

Carol- I do have a splitting headache. Not sure if its sickness or Algebra! The way I figure it I might as well get all the misery over with at once.

12/30/2008 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I was a washout at general math, but strangely enough, got straight A's in algebra. I Loved the stuff - and can't remember a shred of it now to save my soul! Good Luck!!

1/01/2009 04:44:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Algebra sucks. I'm sorry for being vulgar, but I am being honest! Glad you had a nice holiday. And hope you feel better...

1/04/2009 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger David said...

Happy New Year, Mary! A glass of water will fix most headaches. Hope you and John are feeling better!

1/06/2009 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger No said...

Haven't been blogging in a while, and I just had to comment; has anyone ever tell Carl that her husband looks a lot like James Caan?

Hope you have a great year, Mary.

1/07/2009 07:00:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hey No! You know what that is a good question cause now that you mention it he does look like James Caan doesn't he?
Happy New Year Beth!

David- Really? A glass of water?
Happy New year to you also.

Just me- Algebra definitely call s for vulgarity. Happy New Year to you.

TUA- See my daughter who helps can't seem to balance her bank account but she can do these bizarre algebra equations.

1/07/2009 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Hi Mary~ Ha! A part of me always questioned, what in REAL LIFE will Algebra do for me? What practical application does it have when I negotiate my mortgage, balance a checkbook, etc.
My practical self rejected it for lack of everyday practical applications. I'm sure some whiz bang mathematician would argue the case, but my brain rejected it as well.
I hope you can muddle through & not have to take the full on class.

Sorry a bug is circulating, but fun was had anyway.

Happy New Year to you!

1/10/2009 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

algebra requirements for adults sucks.

a fully adult response. NOT.

looks like a nice family Christmas - and now Obama has been inaugerated - yes, maybe we have some hope of at least progressing towards less war. Right now I'd be happy with that.

1/22/2009 11:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters