Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January

This is not my favorite time of the year. It is always a struggle to keep my head above water in January merely because it is tax time and I am bookkeeper/accountant/tax preparer for the business (John's construction company). I don't like having things hanging over my head so I set a goal of the end of January to complete all this dull business. Otherwise knowing the deed must be done will eat at me the whole first quarter of the year. I'd rather be care free.

This year is taking the cake in its January misery as I have upped the ante and am now taking 3! classes. Scary. (My first 2 semester were one class only so I could see if my schedule would handle it.) One of the 3 classes is online and I am taking it from the local community college and the other 2 are at the University. I like my life complicated it seems. I think 3 SHOULD be doable w/the online class. I have been very busy jumping through both establishments hoops. Tomorrow is orientation for the online class. My university classes don't start until the following week.

Then there is this mosaic that keeps changing in dimension. I had hoped to be done by now but the real work is just getting rolling. It actually should go quickly from this point. I have finally ponied up and tried this mesh method that will allow me to make the mosaic in my studio and then just bring it to the job site and slap on the wall. At any rate there goes the rest of my January. This is probably my only only post for the rest of January. It's funny how things change in a years time.









This is the center panel of an indoor waterfall in an inset or niche on the wall.

16 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

OOhhhh pretty!!!

1/15/2009 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

WIsh I could afford your work.

And I hope you are getting what your worth. Don't sell yourself short despite maybe feeling like you (should) 'cause you never should.

And from what you've shown early on, you've come a long way ; )

Beautiful and good luck w/ classes ; )

1/15/2009 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger betmo said...

incredible!!! my house style wouldn't lend itself to a waterfall- but i would love to have one :) i really love that design too- so graceful and natural.

good luck with the classes- if anyone can juggle all of this- it's you :) i mean you had kids :)

1/16/2009 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Krimo said...

I always love your mosaics, Mary. This one looks fantastic.
I'm curious as to how you're sticking the tiles to the mesh. Obviously, the mesh itself doesn't stick to the surface below it if you can lift it off.
Can you please solve the mystery?

1/16/2009 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

I love it!

1/16/2009 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you Brandon!

CM- I REALLY appreciate the encouragement. I am lucky to have my husband who keeps me straight on my pricing. I would give everything away otherwise.

Cream- You are going to love this method as much as I do! It's fiberglass mesh and the glue is Wellbond. I believe Wellbond is similar if not the same as Elmers glue but everything I read recommended this Wellbond so I found it.

Antonio- :)

1/16/2009 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Mary,

Your mosaic is beautiful.

I hope that you enjoy all of your classes. Hooray for you for taking them!

When you have a break sometime, you might want to read Terry Tempest Williams book, Finding Beauty in a Broken World. She learns to do mosaic in Italy, then... well, I'm not going to tell you anymore about it. I don't know if you like her writing or not, but I always love to read her stuff.

Happy studying!

1/16/2009 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Carol,
Thank you for the reading suggestion! I am so interested to read this. At the moment I feel my Sociology class will garner all my reading time. I am overwhelmed by the amount assigned but remain hopeful.

1/17/2009 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Krimo said...

Thanks for the explanation, Mary.
I will have a go one day.

1/17/2009 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

Mary,
It's beautiful where is it for? Good luck with the classes you seem to be having a fantastic time, I'm happy for you. Be well!!!

1/20/2009 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

sigh.

ok, I'm catching up and understanding where it came from, but - oh Mary, it's just so beautiful!

1/22/2009 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Is this a Heron or Crane?

In any case, beautiful.

Hope the classes go well.

Happy New Regime

1/25/2009 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Wow Mary
Someone's been busy
Love It!

2/01/2009 07:04:00 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Just beautiful Mary. Good luck with tax time.

2/03/2009 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I got so mad at the hoops all universities feel it is necessary to make you jump thru, that I asked "Are you F'ers here to educate me or watch me dance?"

I didn't get an answer but it made me feel better.:)

2/08/2009 01:39:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

TUA- They can't really expect silence from the older crowd can they? So much nonsense!

2/08/2009 09:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counters